Living in Italy: The Real Deal - How to…

Living in Italy: The Real Deal - How to Survive the Good Life (an expat…

by Stef Smulders

Entertaining and informative story about living in another country. Chapters made me laugh out loud while others made me sad for the author. Wow, what abundant patience the author had to cope with the all the red tape. A must read before embarking on the idea of living abroad.
Thank you to librarything.com and the author for a copy of this book. ( )
  jtsolakos | Jun 11, 2017 |
This book is on par with the "Under the Tuscan Sun," and others in the similar vein. It's all Italy, which is weird, considering all the other amazing countries out there. I wasn't written in a way that kept the reader interested with all these other, better written comparisons, but it wasn't terrible. ( )
  kristincedar | Jun 6, 2017 |
Lost in Translation

Never underestimate the importance of a good editor, and a competent translator. This book could have benefitted from both.
The story itself is comprised of a series of anecdotes and daily events which I found to be somewhat hackneyed and banal, devoid of freshness or originality. The characters came across as flat and one dimensional. Regrettably I failed to engage with any of them.
It takes more than a dictionary and a thesaurus to translate well. I found the text choppy and awkward, unfortunately a bit of a slog. ( )
  miekeiveson | May 25, 2017 |
I think if you were thinking of visiting or moving to Italy, then this book is a must to read. This story gives the more personal side of living in Italy ..... the nitty gritty bits of life in Italy. I found the school sections quite boring though and didn't think they should be in there anyway. The main story was the B & B and I think that should have been the main focus. The chapters themselves were short, which kept the interest. All in all a good story. ( )
  somethingblanc | Mar 4, 2017 |
Really enjoyed this story. I have to say that I am jealous of Stef & Nico. They did something that I would have loved to have done. Buy a house & move to Italy. Being of Italian descent myself and having relatives still living in Italy. I did get to travel to Italy and visit with my Uncle, Aunt and many cousins back in 1999. Always wanted to revisit but it never happened. My dad came to the U.S. by himself when he was 24 yrs old back in 1923.
I can appreciate what Stef & Nico went through in trying to get the house they bought renovated and dealing with Torti the contractor and the frustration of dealing with the Italians. Reading this book reminds me of the books that Frances Mayes wrote about buying a house in Italy and getting it renovated. I went online to "www.duepadroni.it" and explored their website with wonderful photos about the B & B that they operate. If I were to go back to Italy I would definitely make reservations at this really neat location. Sound like a lovely experience.
Having lunch At Nando & Leda's restaurant Bagarellum would be a real treat and to be able to take a cooking class with Leda would be priceless.
If you're interested in Italy this is a must read.
Thanks Stef for a wonderful book to read. ( )
  LarryMicheli | Jan 24, 2017 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Stef Smulders's book Italiaanse Toestanden was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Stef Smulders is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,153,152 books! | Top bar: Always visible