Living in Italy: The Real Deal - How to…

by Stef Smulders (Author)

Member:RobinCoxon
Title:Living in Italy: The Real Deal - How to Survive the Good Life (an expat guide)
Authors:Stef Smulders (Author)
Info:Babelcube Inc. (2017), 280 pages

Living in Italy: The Real Deal - How to Survive the Good Life (an expat guide) by Stef Smulders

What a delight this book was to read! It's the story of 2 Dutchmen, Stef and his husband Nico and their dog emigrating to Italy to open their B & B, Villa Due Padroni in the Pavia area. It's down to earth with the realistic stories of their trials with the bureaucracy that are resolved in true Italian fashion.
The characters are all people you can identify with, Torti the dictator, is the one that I found to be the most amusing, but can't leave out mention of the shady real estate agent, the crazy neighbors, the owners and staff of the wineries, all charming in their own ways. I loved the ravioli story in particular. Makes me want lessons from Lena.
We come to know Stef quite well, but I wish more of Nico's personality came out in the book.
I really enjoyed Stef's writing style, it was as though I read short stories from his individual style, but he brings it all together so well that it also seems like a book.
At the end a link is provided for the B & B, make sure to look it up and see what a beautiful villa it is and like myself, be tempted to book a trip to Italy and enjoy the beautiful B & B and area that they are living in. Thank you for the goodreads giveaway book Stef. I will think back on it often. ( )
  LydiaGranda | Feb 15, 2019 |
Ever since Under the Tuscan Sun, I have thought that is my other life, my intended life. But after reading this book, I don't think I want to purchase an old house in Italy that needs work. This book made me realize that Italy is what I always thought it was, a relaxed, easy going culture where everything is no problem but can take 10 times longer to get done. Well written. If I'm ever back in Italy, I might have to find this B&B and stay a few nights.

I received this book from Stef Smulders for my honest review. ( )
  MHanover10 | Feb 4, 2018 |
Entertaining and informative story about living in another country. Chapters made me laugh out loud while others made me sad for the author. Wow, what abundant patience the author had to cope with the all the red tape. A must read before embarking on the idea of living abroad.
Thank you to librarything.com and the author for a copy of this book. ( )
1 vote jtsolakos | Jun 11, 2017 |
This book is on par with the "Under the Tuscan Sun," and others in the similar vein. It's all Italy, which is weird, considering all the other amazing countries out there. I wasn't written in a way that kept the reader interested with all these other, better written comparisons, but it wasn't terrible. ( )
  kristincedar | Jun 6, 2017 |
Lost in Translation

Never underestimate the importance of a good editor, and a competent translator. This book could have benefitted from both.
The story itself is comprised of a series of anecdotes and daily events which I found to be somewhat hackneyed and banal, devoid of freshness or originality. The characters came across as flat and one dimensional. Regrettably I failed to engage with any of them.
It takes more than a dictionary and a thesaurus to translate well. I found the text choppy and awkward, unfortunately a bit of a slog. ( )
  miekeiveson | May 25, 2017 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Stef Smulders's book Italiaanse Toestanden was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Stef Smulders is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,654,384 books! | Top bar: Always visible