Otherwise Pandemonium (Pocket Penguins) by…

Otherwise Pandemonium (Pocket Penguins)

by Nick Hornby

Other authors: keenan (Cover designer)

Series: Pocket Penguin (3)

This is like a literary snack. I have a couple more of these Penguin snippet type books. I think I will use them to catch up on my book challenge. Lol.

Back to the story. Nice tongue in cheek Nick Hornby style stories. Makes me feel like reading another one of his books if my to-read pile wasn't already so populated. ( )
  kephradyx | Jun 20, 2017 |
A pair of Nick Hornby shot stories which feel a bit like fragments or exercises. Both stories are wittily done -- both read a little like writing exercises instead of full-blown ideas -- but they're worth the time invested reading them.

The first story ("Otherwise Pandemonium") is about a teenage boy who suspects the world is going to end shortly, and how he reacts to that suspicion. The second is about a family dealing with the revelation of their son's odd career choice, and how the mother finds the whole situation -- which others might find distressing -- oddly positive.

There is nothing special here, and I wouldn't suggest -- even for a second -- that you buy the $11.99 ebook versions of this book on Amazon or B&N. There simply aren't enough words here to support that kind of price.

I bought the book used and as a Hornby fanboy I'm glad I did, but I'd a lot less happy if I'd spent $12 for 56 pages. Enjoy it, but there's not much here, so enjoy it cheaply.

TCWriter | Mar 31, 2013 |
Due racconti di Hornby, uno scritto per celebrare i 70 anni della Penguin Books. "Not a Star" è stato da poco tradotto anche in italiano. ( )
  RebeccaVegas | Dec 12, 2011 |
Two fascinating short stories, one sinister, the other hilarious.
  debulition | Apr 19, 2008 |

Nick Hornbyprimary authorall editionscalculated
keenanCover designersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Otherwise pandemonium features two Nick Hornby stories, both packed with the trademark wit and poignancy that have made him one of the UK's most popular writers and one written specially for this volume.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,222,141 books! | Top bar: Always visible