Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil…

Astrophysics for People in a Hurry

by Neil deGrasse Tyson

I found this book to be interesting and well-written, funny in parts, somewhat-accessible to the non-astrophysicist but I constantly felt like I’m not smart enough for this book. Which is not due to the tone or writing or author condescension, in fact, I felt like he made every effort to explain in lay terms very complex ideas. But that’s the thing, these are very complex ideas. I feel like I have a better overall appreciation for astrophysics after reading this, just don’t ask me to explain it. It took me a month to get through it, it’s not particularly long, it was just a lot to absorb in bulk.
There are a few lines I highlighted because I really appreciated his candor and delivery. And there’s a footnote about Pluto that might be one of my favorite things I’ve ever encountered in a book. I’d give it 4.5/5 stars, simply because I feel like it was a tough read for the non-scientist and because I don’t fully understand a lot of what I read. ( )
  justjoshinreads | Mar 22, 2019 |
Science for the win! Also, recommend listening to the audiobook version (read by Neil himself).
  EBassett | Mar 20, 2019 |
I liked this book a lot, so I wrote a post about it in my blog to mention the main highlights I found. The post is: https://highlightedtext.blogspot.com/2019/02/astrophysics-for-people-in-hurry-to... ( )
  athenacgy | Feb 26, 2019 |
I loved it. Neil deGrasse Tyson does a great job making the this hard-to-comprehend subject comprehensible.

I listened to the audiobook, read by the author. It was wonderful to hear him speaking passionately and with humor about the subject he loves.

Usually I prefer audios for books that I might otherwise bog down in; for this one I think a printed copy would have been better. While this is a very short book, with only basics concepts, I felt that while I may have understood concepts while listening, I'm not sure how long I will remember them. It also would have been nice to have been able to flip backward and review previous sections.

I'll definitely be looking for a print copy for my library. ( )
  streamsong | Feb 24, 2019 |
This was a struggle to get through, it made me realize just how little I know about the cosmos. This would be a good book for someone wanting to add to their knowledge of science. ( )
  LydiaGranda | Feb 15, 2019 |
(Interview of Neil deGrasse Tyson by Stephen Colbert about the book, on YouTube).

Neil deGrasse Tysonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Garceau, PeteCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Liu, IngsuArt Directionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The universe is under no obligation
to make sense to you.

—N D T
For all those who are too busy to read fat books

Yet nonetheless seek a conduit to the cosmos
In the beginning, nearly fourteen billion years ago, all the space and all the matter and all the energy of the known universe was contained in a volume less than one-trillionth the size of the period that ends this sentence.
The world has persisted many long year, having once been set in appropriate motion. From these everything else follows. Lucretiius, C 50 BX

The essential universe, from our most celebrated and beloved astrophysicist.

What is the nature of space and time? How do we fit within the universe? How does the universe fit within us? There’s no better guide through these mindexpanding questions than acclaimed astrophysicist and best-selling author Neil deGrasse Tyson.

But today, few of us have time to contemplate the cosmos. So Tyson brings the universe down to Earth succinctly and clearly, with sparkling wit, in digestible chapters consumable anytime and anywhere in your busy day.

While waiting for your morning coffee to brew, or while waiting for the bus, the train, or the plane to arrive, Astrophysics for People in a Hurry will reveal just what you need to be fluent and ready for the next cosmic headlines: from the Big Bang to black holes, from quarks to quantum mechanics, and from the search for planets to the search for life in the universe.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 21 Nov 2016 15:28:03 -0500)

"The essential universe, from our most celebrated and beloved astrophysicist. What is the nature of space and time? How do we fit within the universe? How does the universe fit within us? There's no better guide through these mind-expanding questions than acclaimed astrophysicist and best-selling author Neil deGrasse Tyson. But today, few of us have time to contemplate the cosmos. So Tyson brings the universe down to Earth succinctly and clearly, with sparkling wit, in tasty chapters consumable anytime and anywhere in your busy day. While you wait for your morning coffee to brew, for the bus, the train, or a plane to arrive, Astrophysics for People in a Hurry will reveal just what you need to be fluent and ready for the next cosmic headlines: from the Big Bang to black holes, from quarks to quantum mechanics, and from the search for planets to the search for life in the universe"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,534,521 books! | Top bar: Always visible