Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil…

Astrophysics for People in a Hurry

by Neil deGrasse Tyson

Neil deGrasse Tyson gives us a rapid (under four hours) but engrossing tour of modern astrophysics--the basics of what we know and how we find out, as well as the major areas where we know we don't yet know enough.

We get Einstein's greatest discoveries, and his real "greatest blunder." We get a fast tour of our solar system, why Pluto isn't a planet, and why we might all really be Martians.

We learn about light waves and radio waves and gravity waves, and dark matter, and dark energy.

And that's barely even a list of the highlights.

Tyson is, as always, knowledgeable, informative, lively, and engaging. It's not that you can't stop listening to him; it's more that stopping just seems like a terrible idea. Why go do something else that's inevitably boring by comparison?

It's a lot of fun, as well as educational.

I bought this audiobook. ( )
  LisCarey | Sep 19, 2018 |
This was so much intelligent fun! Neil deGrasse Tyson is a natural-born teacher. The book is chock full of astrophysics and still immensely readable! My geeky brain loved it.

Sometimes, when I own a copy of a book, as in this one, I grab a pencil to underline or highlight certain passages. The first line in this book that got me to grab my pencil is when Tyson is talking about science being measured with something that is "...not your own eyes, which are inextricably conjoined with the baggage of your brain. That baggage is more often than not a satchel of preconceived ideas, post-conceived notions, and outright bias." I laughed out loud at that!
  CYGeeker | Sep 6, 2018 |
Enjoyed it! Gave a quick overview of what we are and how we got here. Left me wanting to dig deeper. ( )
  CharleyBethH | Aug 23, 2018 |
“The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you.” – Neil deGrasse Tyson

In between reading other books, I listened to this one on audio. I not an astrophysicist by any means, but I enjoy astronomy and planetary science. I am an admirer of Carl Sagan, Michio Kaku, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Amy Mainzer, Alex Filippenko, Carolyn Porco, and others. While some of the concepts described by Tyson in this book are familiar, many are certainly beyond my experience, but as a writer of speculative fiction, I enjoy learning and reviewing scientific concepts both for my personal edification and as research for current and future stories.

Tyson’s writing and narration—concise, enthusiastic, and humorous—make this book a joy to absorb, even if I had to stop and review some of the chapters to gain a better (or in some cases, even a glimmer of) understanding of some of the material. ( )
  pgiunta | Aug 6, 2018 |
I really enjoyed this book. Not too heavy on the Astrophysics. Very short book too, and it is funny. ( )
  shelbycassie | Aug 5, 2018 |
(Interview of Neil deGrasse Tyson by Stephen Colbert about the book, on YouTube).

Neil deGrasse Tysonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Garceau, PeteCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Liu, IngsuArt Directionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The universe is under no obligation
to make sense to you.

—N D T
For all those who are too busy to read fat books

Yet nonetheless seek a conduit to the cosmos
In the beginning, nearly fourteen billion years ago, all the space and all the matter and all the energy of the known universe was contained in a volume less than one-trillionth the size of the period that ends this sentence.
The world has persisted many long year, having once been set in appropriate motion. From these everything else follows. Lucretiius, C 50 BX

The essential universe, from our most celebrated and beloved astrophysicist.

What is the nature of space and time? How do we fit within the universe? How does the universe fit within us? There’s no better guide through these mindexpanding questions than acclaimed astrophysicist and best-selling author Neil deGrasse Tyson.

But today, few of us have time to contemplate the cosmos. So Tyson brings the universe down to Earth succinctly and clearly, with sparkling wit, in digestible chapters consumable anytime and anywhere in your busy day.

While waiting for your morning coffee to brew, or while waiting for the bus, the train, or the plane to arrive, Astrophysics for People in a Hurry will reveal just what you need to be fluent and ready for the next cosmic headlines: from the Big Bang to black holes, from quarks to quantum mechanics, and from the search for planets to the search for life in the universe.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 21 Nov 2016 15:28:03 -0500)

"The essential universe, from our most celebrated and beloved astrophysicist. What is the nature of space and time? How do we fit within the universe? How does the universe fit within us? There's no better guide through these mind-expanding questions than acclaimed astrophysicist and best-selling author Neil deGrasse Tyson. But today, few of us have time to contemplate the cosmos. So Tyson brings the universe down to Earth succinctly and clearly, with sparkling wit, in tasty chapters consumable anytime and anywhere in your busy day. While you wait for your morning coffee to brew, for the bus, the train, or a plane to arrive, Astrophysics for People in a Hurry will reveal just what you need to be fluent and ready for the next cosmic headlines: from the Big Bang to black holes, from quarks to quantum mechanics, and from the search for planets to the search for life in the universe"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,021,007 books! | Top bar: Always visible