Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil…

Astrophysics for People in a Hurry (edition 2017)

by Neil deGrasse Tyson (Author)

Member:dreamstuff
Title:Astrophysics for People in a Hurry
Authors:Neil deGrasse Tyson (Author)
Info:W. W. Norton & Company (2017), Edition: 1, 224 pages

Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil deGrasse Tyson

Rating: C
It is amazing to realize that for thousands of years, humans have gazed at the night lights and imagined what they were all about. Ancient civilizations began to decipher pattern of movement which lead to determining days, months, years -- when to plant, when to harvest. As our knowledge increase, we used the stars for navigation to open up new frontiers. Advance to today and astrophysics and our knowledge of the universe still makes possible exploration into the space we can now touch. ( )
  jmcdbooks | May 18, 2019 |
Not that I am in a hurry or believe creationism fairy-tales from the book of genesis ; it was more like a quick recap and few new topics for me . Overall the subject matter is quite rudimentary but written in an entertaining manner and ends with a philosophical touch. ( )
  Vik.Ram | May 5, 2019 |
Tyson packs a lot into this little book. In a clear and concise way, he covers the creation of the universe starting with the big bang, the fundamental forces of nature, the creation of the chemical elements, relativity, quantum mechanics, gravitation, stars, galaxies, the planets, asteroids and comets of the solar system and beyond and humanity place in all this. He also covers what still puzzles science: why things on the very small scale do not behave like things on the very large scale and what exactly are dark matter and dark energy? It’s a very enjoyable read. ( )
  MaowangVater | Apr 29, 2019 |
My 16-year old daughter and I listened to the audiobook version on a long drive. It was very entertaining and informative. I was surprised by how much of what Tyson talks about in this book was new to me, although some of the stories are familiar, such as how Cosmic Background Radiation was discovered. Tyson reads the audio book, and he is an excellent narrator with a wonderful voice. I'm sure some are annoyed by the end of the book when he makes a plea for world peace, taking care of the homeless, etc., but he manages to link it all together in the end. I'll definitely read or listen to more from him. ( )
  datrappert | Apr 27, 2019 |
I'm really not sure what I think about this. I don't think I learned much - a little, but not much; I've been interested in stars and space all my life, and most of what he's describing is quite familiar to me. In a few spots he waxes lyrical about time and mass - the enormousness of this and the tininess of that. Some of those sections got too dense for me, as he went into some of the equations, so I skimmed. In other spots, on the same sorts of subjects, _he's_ skimming - his coverage is fluffy. Interesting, but not a favorite; I doubt I'll bother to reread it. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Apr 6, 2019 |
(Interview of Neil deGrasse Tyson by Stephen Colbert about the book, on YouTube).

Neil deGrasse Tysonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Garceau, PeteCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Liu, IngsuArt Directionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The universe is under no obligation
to make sense to you.

—N D T
For all those who are too busy to read fat books

Yet nonetheless seek a conduit to the cosmos
In the beginning, nearly fourteen billion years ago, all the space and all the matter and all the energy of the known universe was contained in a volume less than one-trillionth the size of the period that ends this sentence.
The world has persisted many long year, having once been set in appropriate motion. From these everything else follows. Lucretiius, C 50 BX

The essential universe, from our most celebrated and beloved astrophysicist.

What is the nature of space and time? How do we fit within the universe? How does the universe fit within us? There’s no better guide through these mindexpanding questions than acclaimed astrophysicist and best-selling author Neil deGrasse Tyson.

But today, few of us have time to contemplate the cosmos. So Tyson brings the universe down to Earth succinctly and clearly, with sparkling wit, in digestible chapters consumable anytime and anywhere in your busy day.

While waiting for your morning coffee to brew, or while waiting for the bus, the train, or the plane to arrive, Astrophysics for People in a Hurry will reveal just what you need to be fluent and ready for the next cosmic headlines: from the Big Bang to black holes, from quarks to quantum mechanics, and from the search for planets to the search for life in the universe.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 21 Nov 2016 15:28:03 -0500)

"The essential universe, from our most celebrated and beloved astrophysicist. What is the nature of space and time? How do we fit within the universe? How does the universe fit within us? There's no better guide through these mind-expanding questions than acclaimed astrophysicist and best-selling author Neil deGrasse Tyson. But today, few of us have time to contemplate the cosmos. So Tyson brings the universe down to Earth succinctly and clearly, with sparkling wit, in tasty chapters consumable anytime and anywhere in your busy day. While you wait for your morning coffee to brew, for the bus, the train, or a plane to arrive, Astrophysics for People in a Hurry will reveal just what you need to be fluent and ready for the next cosmic headlines: from the Big Bang to black holes, from quarks to quantum mechanics, and from the search for planets to the search for life in the universe"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,885,523 books! | Top bar: Always visible