Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil…

Astrophysics for People in a Hurry (edition 2017)

by Neil deGrasse Tyson (Author)

"The essential universe, from our most celebrated and beloved astrophysicist. What is the nature of space and time? How do we fit within the universe? How does the universe fit within us? There's no better guide through these mind-expanding questions than acclaimed astrophysicist and best-selling author Neil deGrasse Tyson. But today, few of us have time to contemplate the cosmos. So Tyson brings the universe down to Earth succinctly and clearly, with sparkling wit, in tasty chapters consumable anytime and anywhere in your busy day. While you wait for your morning coffee to brew, for the bus, the train, or a plane to arrive, Astrophysics for People in a Hurry will reveal just what you need to be fluent and ready for the next cosmic headlines: from the Big Bang to black holes, from quarks to quantum mechanics, and from the search for planets to the search for life in the universe"--… (more)
Member:PhonyGal
Title:Astrophysics for People in a Hurry
Authors:Neil deGrasse Tyson (Author)
Info:W. W. Norton & Company (2017), Edition: 1, 224 pages
Tags:Read in 2017

Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil deGrasse Tyson

Recently added byAnnaHernandez, SomethingIshy, jkrrish001, jennis, paulwcampbell, private library, KPBong, rhnewman
    We Have No Idea: A Guide to the Unknown Universe by Jorge Cham (themulhern)
    themulhern: Both have a lightish treatment of similar topics. I think "We Have no Idea" has more verve, though.

English (82)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (83)
Audiobook: 4.5 stars.
I thoroughly enjoyed the audiobook, which gave a good glimpse into astrophysics.
Would definitely listen to it again. ( )
  CK31 | Sep 22, 2019 |
See combined review for "Astrophysics for Young People in a Hurry": https://www.librarything.com/work/22498052/reviews/169418905. ( )
  themulhern | Jun 28, 2019 |
Book group had some great conversations. I was left with a sense of how small I am in this grand universe where we exist. ( )
  niquetteb | Jun 27, 2019 |
Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil deGrasse Tyson is rather short; you might even say it is meant for people in a hurry, but that would be a tautology. Beginning with, well, the beginning, Dr. Tyson describes what we know of the Big Bang and the hitch that we encounter when we try to apply our tools to a massive mass of infinitesimal size.

In the following chapters, Dr. Tyson explains the workings of modern cosmology. How do we know what we know? Dr. Tyson explains all the details of what the evidence of the Big Bang is, and explains the other problems that scientists have with the subject. With a conversational style that allows for easy understanding, the enthusiasm that Dr. Tyson has for his subject is almost palpable.

The book is short, but it is for people in a hurry and that can readily be forgiven. ( )
  Floyd3345 | Jun 15, 2019 |
Dense and interesting - I was enjoying Tyson's voice until his name figured in latest allegations - sigh. ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
(Interview of Neil deGrasse Tyson by Stephen Colbert about the book, on YouTube).

Neil deGrasse Tysonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Garceau, PeteCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Liu, IngsuArt Directionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The universe is under no obligation
to make sense to you.

—N D T
For all those who are too busy to read fat books

Yet nonetheless seek a conduit to the cosmos
In the beginning, nearly fourteen billion years ago, all the space and all the matter and all the energy of the known universe was contained in a volume less than one-trillionth the size of the period that ends this sentence.
The world has persisted many long year, having once been set in appropriate motion. From these everything else follows. Lucretiius, C 50 BX

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,839,971 books! | Top bar: Always visible