Astrophysics for people in a hurry by Neil…

Astrophysics for people in a hurry (edition 2017)

by Neil deGrasse Tyson (Author)

Member:gilroy
Title:Astrophysics for people in a hurry
Authors:Neil deGrasse Tyson (Author)
Info:New York ; London : W.W. Norton & Company, [2017]
Collections:Read in 2018, Your library, E-Books
Tags:reference, astrophysics, introduction, ebook, audio

Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil deGrasse Tyson

Such a great read. Love the simpleness of it. Made me want to read more on the subject. ( )
  cfulton20 | Dec 5, 2018 |
  cfulton20 | Dec 5, 2018 |
Very quick read. It is meant to be a short introduction, so maybe the 3⭐️rating is a little unfair, but there isn't a lot of substance here. Mostly, this is a glossary of terms and a summary of some of the big questions in astrophysics. This would be a really good intro for someone who is not very science-savvy. I most enjoyed the last chapter of this book, where you can feel more of his passion for this field coming through ( )
  redwritinghood38 | Nov 6, 2018 |
Lovely summaries of science. ( )
  Mithril | Oct 31, 2018 |
Quick, fun, conversational overview of topics in astrophysics, including current discoveries. What made it especially interesting that it was focusing on how astrophysics became an experimental science with the discovery of the cosmic microwave background and the addition of modern telescopes and other cosmic ray/particle detectors. The conversational style makes for easy reading but it rushes through especially the basics too much. A few illustrations and additional explanation like in the [b:A Brief History of Time|3869|A Brief History of Time|Stephen Hawking|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1333578746s/3869.jpg|2192250] would have made it better. I highly recommend both - "Brief History" explains the Big Bang better, but this one is newer, and our understanding of the universe has expanded greatly in the last thirty years. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
(Interview of Neil deGrasse Tyson by Stephen Colbert about the book, on YouTube).

Neil deGrasse Tysonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Garceau, PeteCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Liu, IngsuArt Directionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The universe is under no obligation
to make sense to you.

—N D T
For all those who are too busy to read fat books

Yet nonetheless seek a conduit to the cosmos
In the beginning, nearly fourteen billion years ago, all the space and all the matter and all the energy of the known universe was contained in a volume less than one-trillionth the size of the period that ends this sentence.
The world has persisted many long year, having once been set in appropriate motion. From these everything else follows. Lucretiius, C 50 BX

The essential universe, from our most celebrated and beloved astrophysicist.

What is the nature of space and time? How do we fit within the universe? How does the universe fit within us? There’s no better guide through these mindexpanding questions than acclaimed astrophysicist and best-selling author Neil deGrasse Tyson.

But today, few of us have time to contemplate the cosmos. So Tyson brings the universe down to Earth succinctly and clearly, with sparkling wit, in digestible chapters consumable anytime and anywhere in your busy day.

While waiting for your morning coffee to brew, or while waiting for the bus, the train, or the plane to arrive, Astrophysics for People in a Hurry will reveal just what you need to be fluent and ready for the next cosmic headlines: from the Big Bang to black holes, from quarks to quantum mechanics, and from the search for planets to the search for life in the universe.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 21 Nov 2016 15:28:03 -0500)

"The essential universe, from our most celebrated and beloved astrophysicist. What is the nature of space and time? How do we fit within the universe? How does the universe fit within us? There's no better guide through these mind-expanding questions than acclaimed astrophysicist and best-selling author Neil deGrasse Tyson. But today, few of us have time to contemplate the cosmos. So Tyson brings the universe down to Earth succinctly and clearly, with sparkling wit, in tasty chapters consumable anytime and anywhere in your busy day. While you wait for your morning coffee to brew, for the bus, the train, or a plane to arrive, Astrophysics for People in a Hurry will reveal just what you need to be fluent and ready for the next cosmic headlines: from the Big Bang to black holes, from quarks to quantum mechanics, and from the search for planets to the search for life in the universe"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,623,711 books! | Top bar: Always visible