The Dark Flight Down by Marcus Sedgwick

The Dark Flight Down (2005)

by Marcus Sedgwick

203858,111 (3.7)14
Recently added byisis27, Elizmcg1795, jasbro, lamars, edspicer, VeronicaCrothers, littlebits, private library, Amotisse

I wouldn't recommend this to my friends, not because I was disappointed, but because this isn't the kind of book my friends would find interesting. If I had a friend who was interested in this kind of subject, I'd definitely recommend it to the because Boy goes through a bunch of life changes that really get you to start thinking. 3Q3P The cover art is okay and I'd recommend this for high school and middle school students. I chose to read this book because my teacher passed out random books for an activity one day and when I got this I read the back and thought it sounded interesting. AliciaH
  edspicer | Jul 4, 2014 |
A thrilling fantasy story that follows on directly from "The Book Of Dead Days" Boy and Willow's futures are on the line as they try to hunt for a magical book that, for Boy explains the mysteries of his past and for the Emporer, may offer eternal life... ( )
  mrspurplebaker | Sep 29, 2010 |
The sequel to "The Book of Dead Days." This one isn't entirely as good as its predecessor, but it is still definitely more than worth reading.
Great plot, strong and distinct characters, and a thrilling climax. The ending is unexpected and exciting.
I always love dark, Gothic books, and was hoping that this one wouldn't try to lighten up how dark "The Book of Dead Days" was. I wasn't disappointed. This eerie story is complete with dark dungeons, midnight excursions, a sadistic King, murders, and even a Phantom.
Very good book. ( )
  joririchardson | Jan 25, 2010 |
I don’t think this one quite reached the heights of the previous volume, the storyline was not as gripping, and I felt the characters of the Emperor and Maxim, were a little too stereotypical. However, Sedgwick still conjures a satisfying and wonderfully dark and Gothic atmosphere to wrap his tale in. Perfect reading for a chilly winters night.

Read and comment on my full review at:
http://www.bartsbookshelf.co.uk/2009/01/20/the-dark-flight-down-by-marcus-sedgwi... ( )
  bart154ce | Jan 20, 2009 |
Pretty good ( )
  ethelmertz | Jun 9, 2007 |

AR 4.9, 7 Pts

In the morning you should think
You might not last unto the night
In the evening you should think
You might not last unto the morn

Boy has survived the terrors of life with the magician Valerian, dark magic, and deadly chases, but he is still on the run. Now, as the City lies frozen, he is captured and incarcerated in the Emperor Frederick’s palace. Boy is transported to a world of splendor, and wealth beyond his wildest imagining. But beneath its golden veneer, this world is full of madness and cruelty, closely guarded secrets, and terrifying revelations.
In a mesmerizing conclusion to the enthralling story begun in The Book of Dead Days, Boy and Willow are plunged into the heart of it–the furies of the Emperor; the tricks of necromancers; a trail of blood that will lead to the grisly Phantom. Holding all their lives between its pages, The Book of Dead Days waits to deceive its next reader.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:28 -0400)

On an errand for Kepler, his new master, Boy is captured and imprisoned in the palace dungeon, where he plots his escape from the evil Maxim and the lunatic King Frederick but also learns a disturbing secret about his father.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,343,669 books! | Top bar: Always visible