Murder Is No Accident (The Hidden Springs…

Murder Is No Accident (The Hidden Springs Mysteries)

by A. H. Gabhart

This has been a fun series as it ties a good mystery with great characters. I love the small town atmosphere and how Maggie feels that using the old mansion is just the ticket to make her stories work. She find more than she bargained for though when people start turning up dead. I enjoyed the suspense of the book and how Maggie wanted to stay quiet about her involvement, but would up quite involved instead.
I received a copy of this from the publisher, but the review is entirely my own. ( )
  polarmath | Mar 26, 2017 |
I enjoyed my first visit to Hidden Springs as much as I enjoyed visiting Hollyhill and Rosey Corner, each a small town springing from A. H. Gabhart's creative mind, complete with a cast of memorable characters. While Murder Is No Accident is the third book in The Hidden Springs Mysteries series, it worked well as a stand-alone read, revealing just enough from the first two books to entice readers to read the previous books in the series. (I already have Murder at the Courthouse loaded on my Kindle.)
Deputy Sheriff Michael Keane has roots that grow deep in Hidden Springs as His ancestors were founding fathers in Keane County. Alexandria Sheridan's family never remained anywhere long enough to put down roots, but childhood visits to her aunt and uncle's made Hidden Springs feel like home. While undeniably drawn to one another, Michael and Alex had never been able to figure out how to match Michael's small town roots and Alex's big city career. Something not being made any easier by the demands suddenly placed on Michael's time to solve one or maybe two murders while protecting a key witness and her family. Solving the current mystery might depend on his being able to put other ghosts to rest in the old Victorian mansion known as the Chandler house.
While this may be Gabhart's first mystery series, her expertise as a storyteller stands her in good stead, and I believe her fans, as well as those new to her writing, will not be disappointed. I thank Revell Publishing and the Christian Blog Alliance for providing me with a copy of Murder Is No Accident in exchange for my honest opinion. I received no compensation for this review. ( )
  claudia.castenir | Mar 17, 2017 |
Murder is No Accident by A.H. Gabhart is the third book in The Hidden Springs Mysteries. Maggie Greene is up in the tower room writing of the Chandler house when she hears noises below. Maggie stays as still as possible so she will not be discovered. Then Geraldine Harper, the local realtor, enters the house. Maggie hears Geraldine find the intruder and an argument ensues. Geraldine goes to call the sheriff, but it is her last act. Only after she is sure the trespasser has departed, does Maggie venture down from the tower. She finds Geraldine dead at the bottom of the back steps (many big Victorian homes had a fancy front staircase and a serviceable back staircase that was very narrow). Maggie is afraid she will be accused of trespassing even though she has permission from Fonda Chandler, the owner of the house. Maggie uses Geraldine’s phone to call 911 anonymously and then she quietly leaves. While Maggie did not see anyone nearby, someone saw her. Deputy Sheriff Michael Keane receives a call that Miss Fonda (as she is called) has once again escaped from the Gentle Care Home where she is looked after by Mrs. Gibson. Miss Fonda has dementia and forgets that she no longer lives at Chandler house. Michael arrives at Chandler house as he is notified of the 911 call. He notices that her car is out front and enters the open house. He finds Miss Fonda holding Geraldine. She believes it is her deceased sister, Audrey who died in a very similar manner. Geraldine’s death is ruled accidental. But soon another person is found dead inside the Chandler home. Maggie is afraid to come forward after she receives a threatening call from the killer. Has someone decided to search for the rumored treasure of Chandler house? Michael will need to work quickly to find the guilty party before the killer takes further action.

While Murder is No Accident is the third book in the series, it can be read as a stand-alone. I was never able to get into and enjoy this book. It is hard to describe the writing style. Murder is No Accident is jam packed with activity. There is just one incident after another. Besides the main mystery there is Miss Fonda escaping from the care home (frequently which does not speak well for their care or vigilance), fishing, the fifty-year-old mystery of how Audrey, fishing, Miss Fonda’s sister died, Sonny trying to sell Miss Fonda’s home, fishing, the romance between Michael and Alex Sheridan (which was very prevalent), Betty Jean Atkins dating life, Lana Waverly’s tea shop and investigation, and more fishing. In the small town of Hidden Springs, everyone gets involved in your life (even if you wish they would not). One of the problems with Murder is No Accident is the number of characters. I stopped keeping track after twelve. I did not like how fifteen-year-old Maggie was portrayed as simple minded when she actually is creative and smart (she likes to write). The Christian element is very subtle (mostly prayer). Murder is No Accident is more cozy than mystery. I give Murder is No Accident 3 out of 5 stars. The mystery may seem complicated, but the solution was not (at least part of it). I enjoy Christian mysteries (I get new ones every month), but this one was not for me. I think the right elements are present, they just needed to be put together differently. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Mar 16, 2017 |
Tuesday, March 14, 2017
Murder is No Accident by A. H. Gabhart, © 2017
The Hidden Springs Mysteries, Book 3

“The little town that time forgot but murder didn’t.”

After Miss Fonda had to go to the Gentle Care Home, Maggie’s mother did say Maggie could come feed Miss Fonda’s calico cat, Miss Marble, who lived out in the garden shed. But the cat excuse wouldn’t help if Maggie got caught inside the house. She’d be in trouble.
--Murder is No Accident, 7.

Deputy Sheriff Michael Keane is well taken care of supplied with sandwiches and coffee as he makes his rounds in Hidden Springs with Sheriff Potter away on vacation. Be sure to read the author's behind-the-scenes writings in her January 2017 blog posts. Two new businesses have been added, a tea & bookshop, and an antique store. Both are newcomers and in hope of rising interest in this quaint little town of older residents, all settled for prospective tourist Main Street visitors.

There is quite a difference in Deputy Keane in his quiet care of the town, and Lester Stucker who liked to keep his patrol car dome lights flashing and siren going throughout town. That is an alert to Hank Leland, the newspaper editor, to be scribbling in his notebook and camera ready.

I really like the young teen character, Maggie Greene, who helps her mom clean a couple times a month at the Chandler mansion, dusting and tidying up the vacant home of elderly Miss Fonda who is needing closer care at Mrs. Gibson's house now with her loss of memory. Well partial loss, anyway; she remembers bits and pieces of the past, especially about her beloved home. Remembering how much she loved writing in her journal, sharing verbal stories with Maggie, she would want her quiet hidden space to be Maggie's too...

Anthony Blake and Maggie become better acquainted while at a church youth group fishing outing. She is fifteen and not allowed to date yet. Maggie is amazed that a senior would like her and begin talking to her at school. She takes care of her little brother after school until her parents are home. I like how Anthony checks on them. He is a good friend to have.

Deputy Keane has a returning visitor, placing concentration on his job vision at the forefront. Likely, there may be some who would like to predict what others "will do and should say."

The past becomes unexpectedly revealed. Today has enough troubles of its own. What an opener! Visiting Hidden Springs, it will not be an ordinary day.

***Thank you, Revell Reads Fiction for a copy of the third book in The Hidden Springs Mysteries. This review was written in my own words. No other compensation was received.*** ( )
  lanehillhouse | Mar 15, 2017 |
If you like Christian, a light murder mystery,suspense,and a small town with a touch of romance, you'll love AH Gabhart's Murder is No Accident. The setting is the beautiful old Chandler mansion. When the local real estate agent dies, it appears to be an accident...but someone knows different and is threatening poor young Maggie to keep quiet.

Gabheart gives us plenty of complicated characters to care about, from Alex and her uncle;to Deputy Michael Keane and his aunt; to Maggie and her family; and don't forget Fonda!

Kudos to Gabheart on the solution. I just didn't see it coming, and chances are, most readers won't. Totally made sense, but left me in awe of Gabheart's writing prowess.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher,which did not influence my review. I also received a copy from NetGalley. I am solely responsible for the opinions therein. ( )
  Becky_L | Mar 14, 2017 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 080072710X, Paperback)

Young Maggie Greene may be trespassing in the old, empty Victorian mansion on a quiet street in Hidden Springs, but all she wants is some private time in the magnificent tower room to write her stories. Certain she'll be in trouble if caught, she hides when a realtor shows up. But someone else is in the house too, someone even more worried about getting caught. When Maggie finds the realtor's body at the bottom of a flight of stairs and the other person gone, Deputy Sheriff Michael Keane is called in. He assumes the realtor's death is a tragic accident--until a second person is found dead in the house. When Maggie is threatened, Michael must catch the murderer before anyone else dies.

Cozy mystery fans will love this third installment in The Hidden Springs Mysteries series from an author who knows how to make small-town America sweet, sentimental--and a little sinister.

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 27 Nov 2016 01:09:22 -0500)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Murder Is No Accident by A. H. Gabhart was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,277,389 books! | Top bar: Always visible