Murder Is No Accident (The Hidden Springs…

Murder Is No Accident (The Hidden Springs Mysteries)

by A. H. Gabhart

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Unfortunately, this was a Did Not Finish for me. I gave it 100 pages, but could not get into it. I found the book very slow-moving, and seemingly focused on everything but the actual mystery. The book was also more religious than the description had led me to believe.
  seasonsoflove | Apr 22, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have read several of Ann Gabhart's books, so I was very excited to receive this title. I was also pleasantly surprised to find that it was Book 3 in a series I had somehow overlooked. To prepare for reading this title, I immediately went to the local library to find the first two books so I could "catch up" before reading the latest title. This book was just as entertaining and "I can't wait to read" as the first two books in the series. Ms. Gabhart has definitely captured the flavor of small town living, where everyone is in everyone's business and there is no such thing as a secret. While some might take exception to so much tragedy in one small town, it is in fact the small town aura that gives the books its appeal. There is also an underlying theme of our roots and how they shape us into the people we become. Even if we travel far afield during the course of our life, there is always that one place we call home and where our heart carries us in good times and bad. This book has all the elements of an attention-grabbing (and keeping) story line: the unsung, quietly unassuming hero; the loves-me-loves-me-not romance, and the quiet yet strong theme of God having a plan in our lives. The characters realistically captured the feeling that even with God's plan, sometimes we are the last to know and we must have faith in the end that good will triumph over evil. Ms. Gabhart captures both this triumph both in catching the "bad guy" and in seeing characters do what is right, even if it isn't always pleasant or easy. Throughout, Ms. Gabhart captures the beauty of small town living, with neighbors who are always there to give a hand, boost, or a shoulder to cry on if we but ask. The novel resounds with the beautiful theme that we are never truly alone, because if we will just look toward God rather than trying to do it all alone He is there to carry us through. ( )
  LilTexasLibrary | Apr 22, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
When real estate agent Geraldine Harper takes a fatal fall down a flight of stairs, just about everyone in Hidden Springs thinks it was a tragic accident. But Deputy Sheriff Michael Keane feels a bit uneasy about what really happened and teenager Maggie Greene knows for a fact that what happened to Geraldine Harper was no accident. Maggie is afraid to tell anyone what happened and thinks her silence will protect those she loves but she couldn’t be more wrong.

“Murder Is No Accident” is an excellent mystery. While I have not read any other Hidden Spring mysteries, I was immediately caught up in this book and the characters – elderly Miss Fonda who mostly lives in the past, Maggie with her secrets and troubled home life, Michael with his troubled love life, Alex who is the source of Michael’s troubles, Michael’s Aunt Malinda, Alex’s Uncle Reese, and many more. I usually read only cozy mysteries but I wouldn’t quite call this a cozy mystery – it isn’t violent by any means but the characters and situations are just a tad deeper than in most cozy mysteries I have read. But, although this was a bit different than other mysteries I have read, I enjoyed it quite a bit and kept thinking about the mystery and various characters long after I finished reading the book. The book has a nice atmospheric feel that lingers with the reader. The mystery is nicely done and well-plotted (including an old mystery lingering in the background throughout the book), and with just the right amount of suspense and tension especially at the end of the book.

“Murder Is No Accident” is a great mystery. ( )
  drebbles | Apr 19, 2017 |
Title: Murder is No Accident (Hidden Springs Mystery #3)
Author: A.H. Gabhart
Pages: 343
Year: 2017
Publisher: Revell
My rating is 4 stars.
Deputy Michael Keane is called to the scene of an accidental fall down the stairs by a local realtor at an old Victorian style mansion. The owner has been transferred to a senior care home and her executor’s son is trying to sell the house out from under her. The realtor had come to appraise the house and ran into someone unexpected there. What the surprise visitor doesn’t know is that a local teen is hiding up in the tower room of the house when the accident happens and hears everything. The teen leaves the scene, but then receives an alarming telephone call. Michael has his suspicions about the “accident”, but has no proof that it was anything other than just that…an accident. This brings back memories for the owner of years ago when her sister died the same way in the same house. This has always been ruled an accident, but the owner claims she knows who killed her sister. Another body is soon found at the old house and this time there is no doubt that the person was murdered. Michael has his hands full investigating these crimes as well as helping with the local church youth group.
Michael also receives news that his aunt’s neighbor and good friend to all in the community has had a stroke. This is the local town’s attorney whose niece just happens to be the love of Michael’s life, but he hasn’t told her that. Alexandria Sheridan arrives in town to help with the care of her uncle. She has loved Michael all her life, but hasn’t been bold enough to let him know. Besides she is an attorney for a big law firm in Washington, D.C. and likes her life there. Michael has roots and likes his small-town life in Hidden Springs. Michael, however, decides he wants more than a long-distance telephone relationship with Alex and wants to move things to a new level. Can Michael solve the case and get the girl?
What a good mystery series! I like the direction the relationship between Michael and Alex is taking and can’t wait to see where they stand in the next book! I just loved Miss Fonnie and the gentle way Michael treated her. He still respected her even though she didn’t know what was going on in the present most of the time. I also liked the relationship between the teenagers Anthony and Maggie and how they both respected Maggie’s parents’ wishes in regards to dating. Anthony treated Maggie with respect. The pace of the story was a little slow in a couple of places, but I still would definitely recommend this book to readers. ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | Apr 18, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was my first book by A. H. Gabhart. I noticed that it is the third book in the A Hidden Springs Mystery series. It does fine as a stand alone novel, but I think if I had read the first two books I would have related more to the characters. The story centers around deputy sheriff Michael Keane and the town of Hidden Springs. It has the same feel as Jan Karon's At Home in Mitford. Small town,quiet for the most part, quirky people, and mysterious circumstances. I love the description of Miss Vonda's Victorian house. Michael Keane has to protect the innocent and catch the guilty as the bodies start adding up! This book is a light murder mystery with a little romance mixed in. Again, maybe I would feel more for Michael and his love interest Alex, had I read the previous books.

Overall, a slow start. But the author adds just enough mystery to keep me reading to find out who did it. ( )
  JaymeWill | Apr 17, 2017 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 080072710X, Paperback)

Young Maggie Greene may be trespassing in the old, empty Victorian mansion on a quiet street in Hidden Springs, but all she wants is some private time in the magnificent tower room to write her stories. Certain she'll be in trouble if caught, she hides when a realtor shows up. But someone else is in the house too, someone even more worried about getting caught. When Maggie finds the realtor's body at the bottom of a flight of stairs and the other person gone, Deputy Sheriff Michael Keane is called in. He assumes the realtor's death is a tragic accident--until a second person is found dead in the house. When Maggie is threatened, Michael must catch the murderer before anyone else dies.

Cozy mystery fans will love this third installment in The Hidden Springs Mysteries series from an author who knows how to make small-town America sweet, sentimental--and a little sinister.

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 27 Nov 2016 01:09:22 -0500)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Murder Is No Accident by A. H. Gabhart was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,789,371 books! | Top bar: Always visible