Murder Is No Accident (The Hidden Springs…

Murder Is No Accident (The Hidden Springs Mysteries)

by A. H. Gabhart

3520321,274 (3.98)8

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book as an Early Reviewer through LibraryThing in return for an honest review.

I normally enjoy cozy mysteries and get into them right away, but this book just did not grab me at all. I had to force myself to keep reading because the writing style just felt overly simplistic and the characters too stereotypical. The mystery was interesting and the book was definitely "cozy" for those who like their murders without too much violence and gore, but it was just too sugary and sweet for my palate. ( )
  LongDogMom | May 22, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received a copy of this book as an Early Reviewer for an honest review.
I should preface my review by admitting that cozy mysteries are my “go-to” genre (I simply love the “down-home, Murder She Wrote” feel of this type of book even though I will usually give them only 3 stars because, while they are a fun read, they usually aren’t literary masterpieces!) This book, however, is a solid 4 to 4 ½ stars!
Maggie Greene, a young high school girl, is, unfortunately, in the wrong place at the wrong time. Although she and her mother clean the large Chandler home, Maggie has no good reason to be up in the tower room the day that a local real estate saleswoman takes a tumble down the stairs and breaks her neck. Afraid that she will be in trouble for trespassing, she calls 911 from the dead woman’s phone and runs away. What she didn’t know was that someone saw her. At first, the death seems like an unfortunate accident; however, after another person is killed the local police realize they have a murderer on the loose.
There was a lot going on in this book. The author did a great job of developing all of the characters in the book – I think this is what is lacking in many cozy mysteries – characters that you feel you really know. As for the mystery itself, I can’t give away too much. There were enough characters in the book that I had several prime suspects; however, by the end, I wasn’t surprised.
It was obvious while reading this book that it is one of a series; however, the references to earlier events weren’t distracting from this story and it didn’t feel as though the author was trying to “catch me up” on characters. Of course, since I didn’t read the first book in the series, I may not be the best judge at what details were redundant!
This book would probably be classified as Christian literature; however, references to religion and religious beliefs were primarily used to define the characters and never came across as “preachy”
I would read more in this series (and may have to go back and read the first one too!) ( )
  cyndiea | May 21, 2017 |
Good mystery with twists and turns. ( )
  dd196406 | May 21, 2017 |
I received this book for an honest review from LibraryThing Early Reviewers:
This is the third book of The Hidden Springs Mystery Series and it is an excellent addition and I have enjoyed all three books. The stores are well-written and the characters are always very interesting. The plot is unique and kept me turning the pages until the very end. I am especially enjoying the relationship between Michael and Alex and can't wait to see what happens in the next installment. I was glad to see with the relationship of the teenagers, Anthony and Maggie, that they were respecting Maggie's parents wishes in regards to dating. I would highly suggest this series to fans of cozy mysteries. I look forward to reading more of this series as they are published. I enjoy Gabhart's sense of humor in all of the books also. Great small-town mystery series! ( )
  EadieB | May 7, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Hidden Springs, a small rural town in Kentucky, reminded me of Mayberry RFD. It is a place where everyone knows everyone else, plus their family history. The story introduces many local characters as an accident (or perhaps a murder) is discovered in the Chandler House, Hidden Spring's historical mansion. This is the 3rd book in the series. I had not read the previous books but I can assure the reader this book can stand alone.
As the book begins, fifteen year old Maggie is in the Chandler House tower room. She come here often because she feels this is where does her best creative writing. The owner, Miss Fonda, is now residing in an assisted living facility. Miss Fonda has given Maggie permission to use the tower room whenever she wants. However, since Miss Fonda now has dementia, Maggie is not sure she would remember giving that permission. The house is supposed to be empty but Maggie hears a noise downstairs. She is afraid she will be accused of trespassing, so she hides. As she listens, she hears two people arguing. She then hears one person tumble down the stairs, and the other person leave. When Maggie creeps out, at the bottom of the stairs she finds the body of the local real estate agent. Maggie knows the woman is dead, but it doesn't seem right to just leave without telling anyone. She calls 911 to report the death, and flees before the police arrive. Deputy Sherriff Michael Keane comes to investigate what appears to be an accident. However, he becomes suspicious as he delves more deeply into the death. This sets the stage for the book.

As the tale unfolds, there was a little romance, plus a lot of suspense. The book kept my interest throughout. I'd recommend it for anyone who enjoys reading cozy mystery stories. ( )
  lmlowra | May 1, 2017 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 080072710X, Paperback)

Young Maggie Greene may be trespassing in the old, empty Victorian mansion on a quiet street in Hidden Springs, but all she wants is some private time in the magnificent tower room to write her stories. Certain she'll be in trouble if caught, she hides when a realtor shows up. But someone else is in the house too, someone even more worried about getting caught. When Maggie finds the realtor's body at the bottom of a flight of stairs and the other person gone, Deputy Sheriff Michael Keane is called in. He assumes the realtor's death is a tragic accident--until a second person is found dead in the house. When Maggie is threatened, Michael must catch the murderer before anyone else dies.

Cozy mystery fans will love this third installment in The Hidden Springs Mysteries series from an author who knows how to make small-town America sweet, sentimental--and a little sinister.

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 27 Nov 2016 01:09:22 -0500)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

A. H. Gabhart's book Murder Is No Accident is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,471,391 books! | Top bar: Always visible