Murder Is No Accident (The Hidden Springs…

Murder Is No Accident (The Hidden Springs Mysteries) (edition 2017)

by A. H. Gabhart (Author)

Member:Kris_Anderson
Title:Murder Is No Accident (The Hidden Springs Mysteries)
Authors:A. H. Gabhart (Author)
Info:Revell (2017), 352 pages
Rating:***

Murder Is No Accident (The Hidden Springs Mysteries) by A. H. Gabhart

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Mostly liked the mystery part of the story, but the love story part of it was annoying. Really? All those years and never said he loved her? Maybe if I'd read the first (more?) book it would have read more true. That whole side story just kind of bugged me. Liked the other characters, liked the setting. ( )
  Mooose | Jun 9, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have not read the other books in this series, so this is my first encounter with the small town and characters. I do like "cozy" mysteries in small town settings though. I would probably enjoy it more if I knew more about the characters, as I had to get "caught up" to find out about them. I saw that the book received mixed reviews. I think it can be slow starting, but an interesting end twist. One thing that did annoy me was the frequent occurrence of sentence fragments throughout, which is a pet peeve of mine. I guess that is my "blue pencil" rearing its ugly little head! I may go back and investigate the previous novels to find out what occurred before this one, as well as to check out the writing style. I also realized that I had read a previous novel by this author, but not in this series. I got this book as part of the LibraryThing Early Reviewers. ( )
  LadyoftheLodge | May 31, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book as an Early Reviewer through LibraryThing in return for an honest review.

I normally enjoy cozy mysteries and get into them right away, but this book just did not grab me at all. I had to force myself to keep reading because the writing style just felt overly simplistic and the characters too stereotypical. The mystery was interesting and the book was definitely "cozy" for those who like their murders without too much violence and gore, but it was just too sugary and sweet for my palate. ( )
  LongDogMom | May 22, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received a copy of this book as an Early Reviewer for an honest review.
I should preface my review by admitting that cozy mysteries are my “go-to” genre (I simply love the “down-home, Murder She Wrote” feel of this type of book even though I will usually give them only 3 stars because, while they are a fun read, they usually aren’t literary masterpieces!) This book, however, is a solid 4 to 4 ½ stars!
Maggie Greene, a young high school girl, is, unfortunately, in the wrong place at the wrong time. Although she and her mother clean the large Chandler home, Maggie has no good reason to be up in the tower room the day that a local real estate saleswoman takes a tumble down the stairs and breaks her neck. Afraid that she will be in trouble for trespassing, she calls 911 from the dead woman’s phone and runs away. What she didn’t know was that someone saw her. At first, the death seems like an unfortunate accident; however, after another person is killed the local police realize they have a murderer on the loose.
There was a lot going on in this book. The author did a great job of developing all of the characters in the book – I think this is what is lacking in many cozy mysteries – characters that you feel you really know. As for the mystery itself, I can’t give away too much. There were enough characters in the book that I had several prime suspects; however, by the end, I wasn’t surprised.
It was obvious while reading this book that it is one of a series; however, the references to earlier events weren’t distracting from this story and it didn’t feel as though the author was trying to “catch me up” on characters. Of course, since I didn’t read the first book in the series, I may not be the best judge at what details were redundant!
This book would probably be classified as Christian literature; however, references to religion and religious beliefs were primarily used to define the characters and never came across as “preachy”
I would read more in this series (and may have to go back and read the first one too!) ( )
  cyndiea | May 21, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Good mystery with twists and turns. ( )
  dd196406 | May 21, 2017 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 080072710X, Paperback)

Young Maggie Greene may be trespassing in the old, empty Victorian mansion on a quiet street in Hidden Springs, but all she wants is some private time in the magnificent tower room to write her stories. Certain she'll be in trouble if caught, she hides when a realtor shows up. But someone else is in the house too, someone even more worried about getting caught. When Maggie finds the realtor's body at the bottom of a flight of stairs and the other person gone, Deputy Sheriff Michael Keane is called in. He assumes the realtor's death is a tragic accident--until a second person is found dead in the house. When Maggie is threatened, Michael must catch the murderer before anyone else dies.

Cozy mystery fans will love this third installment in The Hidden Springs Mysteries series from an author who knows how to make small-town America sweet, sentimental--and a little sinister.

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 27 Nov 2016 01:09:22 -0500)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

A. H. Gabhart's book Murder Is No Accident is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,161,315 books! | Top bar: Always visible