Murder Is No Accident (The Hidden Springs…

Murder Is No Accident (The Hidden Springs Mysteries) (edition 2017)

by A. H. Gabhart (Author)

Member:Kris_Anderson
Title:Murder Is No Accident (The Hidden Springs Mysteries)
Authors:A. H. Gabhart (Author)
Info:Revell (2017), 352 pages
Rating:***

Murder Is No Accident (The Hidden Springs Mysteries) by A. H. Gabhart

These just keep getting better. I love this town. No one wants an accident to be considered a murder, especially the Deputy Sheriff. Michael just wants a peaceful day of fishing but that is not what he gets. I love all these characters and hope Michael will find happiness soon. I look forward to many more books in this series. I did not want to put this book down. I received a copy of this book from the author for a fair and honest opinion that I gave of my own free will. ( )
  Virginia51 | Apr 27, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is the third entry in Gabhart's "Hidden Springs" mystery series, featuring Michael Keene, a Deputy Sheriff in the small town of Hidden Springs, Kentucky. When a local realtor is found dead at the base of the stairs in an empty Victorian Mansion owned by an elderly lady suffering from dementia, Michael is called to investigate whether this is an unfortunate accident or something more sinister. At the same time, he is grappling with whether his on-again, off-again relationship with Washington D.C. lawyer and childhood sweetheart Alexandria has any future, given their vastly differing lifestyles.

This is a very satisfying mystery, with enough of a puzzle to keep the reader guessing for quite awhile but not so obscure as to be unsolvable and frustrating. The relationship issues are well handled, and not impossible to follow for a reader like myself who has not yet read the first two books in the series. The Christian content is deftly handled, and flows naturally from the characters.

I look forward to seeking out the other books in the series. ( )
  tealadytoo | Apr 25, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Unfortunately, this was a Did Not Finish for me. I gave it 100 pages, but could not get into it. I found the book very slow-moving, and seemingly focused on everything but the actual mystery. The book was also more religious than the description had led me to believe.
  seasonsoflove | Apr 22, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have read several of Ann Gabhart's books, so I was very excited to receive this title. I was also pleasantly surprised to find that it was Book 3 in a series I had somehow overlooked. To prepare for reading this title, I immediately went to the local library to find the first two books so I could "catch up" before reading the latest title. This book was just as entertaining and "I can't wait to read" as the first two books in the series. Ms. Gabhart has definitely captured the flavor of small town living, where everyone is in everyone's business and there is no such thing as a secret. While some might take exception to so much tragedy in one small town, it is in fact the small town aura that gives the books its appeal. There is also an underlying theme of our roots and how they shape us into the people we become. Even if we travel far afield during the course of our life, there is always that one place we call home and where our heart carries us in good times and bad. This book has all the elements of an attention-grabbing (and keeping) story line: the unsung, quietly unassuming hero; the loves-me-loves-me-not romance, and the quiet yet strong theme of God having a plan in our lives. The characters realistically captured the feeling that even with God's plan, sometimes we are the last to know and we must have faith in the end that good will triumph over evil. Ms. Gabhart captures both this triumph both in catching the "bad guy" and in seeing characters do what is right, even if it isn't always pleasant or easy. Throughout, Ms. Gabhart captures the beauty of small town living, with neighbors who are always there to give a hand, boost, or a shoulder to cry on if we but ask. The novel resounds with the beautiful theme that we are never truly alone, because if we will just look toward God rather than trying to do it all alone He is there to carry us through. ( )
  LilTexasLibrary | Apr 22, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
When real estate agent Geraldine Harper takes a fatal fall down a flight of stairs, just about everyone in Hidden Springs thinks it was a tragic accident. But Deputy Sheriff Michael Keane feels a bit uneasy about what really happened and teenager Maggie Greene knows for a fact that what happened to Geraldine Harper was no accident. Maggie is afraid to tell anyone what happened and thinks her silence will protect those she loves but she couldn’t be more wrong.

“Murder Is No Accident” is an excellent mystery. While I have not read any other Hidden Spring mysteries, I was immediately caught up in this book and the characters – elderly Miss Fonda who mostly lives in the past, Maggie with her secrets and troubled home life, Michael with his troubled love life, Alex who is the source of Michael’s troubles, Michael’s Aunt Malinda, Alex’s Uncle Reese, and many more. I usually read only cozy mysteries but I wouldn’t quite call this a cozy mystery – it isn’t violent by any means but the characters and situations are just a tad deeper than in most cozy mysteries I have read. But, although this was a bit different than other mysteries I have read, I enjoyed it quite a bit and kept thinking about the mystery and various characters long after I finished reading the book. The book has a nice atmospheric feel that lingers with the reader. The mystery is nicely done and well-plotted (including an old mystery lingering in the background throughout the book), and with just the right amount of suspense and tension especially at the end of the book.

“Murder Is No Accident” is a great mystery. ( )
  drebbles | Apr 19, 2017 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 080072710X, Paperback)

Young Maggie Greene may be trespassing in the old, empty Victorian mansion on a quiet street in Hidden Springs, but all she wants is some private time in the magnificent tower room to write her stories. Certain she'll be in trouble if caught, she hides when a realtor shows up. But someone else is in the house too, someone even more worried about getting caught. When Maggie finds the realtor's body at the bottom of a flight of stairs and the other person gone, Deputy Sheriff Michael Keane is called in. He assumes the realtor's death is a tragic accident--until a second person is found dead in the house. When Maggie is threatened, Michael must catch the murderer before anyone else dies.

Cozy mystery fans will love this third installment in The Hidden Springs Mysteries series from an author who knows how to make small-town America sweet, sentimental--and a little sinister.

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 27 Nov 2016 01:09:22 -0500)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Murder Is No Accident by A. H. Gabhart was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,888,357 books! | Top bar: Always visible