The Return (Amish Beginnings) by Suzanne…

The Return (Amish Beginnings) (edition 2017)

by Suzanne Woods Fisher (Author)

Member:CafinatedReads
Title:The Return (Amish Beginnings)
Authors:Suzanne Woods Fisher (Author)
Info:Revell (2017), 336 pages
Collections:Christian Fiction, 2017 Reads, Recovered books
Rating:*****
Tags:mollyscafinatedreads, arcreads, celebratelitblogtours

The Return (Amish Beginnings) by Suzanne Woods Fisher

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
31. The Return by Suzanne Woods Fisher - Tessa has been in love with Hans for as long as she can remember. The problem, he is in love with the beautiful and kind Betsy Zook. But, when Betsy and her younger brother are kidnapped by Indians, Tessa thinks this may be her chance to win Hans. But the Hans of her dreams is far from the man in reality. How far with Tessa go to win his attention and his love? Will Hans allow himself to fall in love with Tessa, or will he continue to search for Betsy at all costs, no matter who gets hurt along the way?

This was a very good book and one that is part of a series. I did not have the previous books, but that did not have any affect on this book's storyline. I would like to have read the other books, but you don't need to as this book is very good on its own. Definitely a good historical fiction book set in an early American Amish settlement. Thank you LibraryThing for a copy of this book as an early reviewer! ( )
  chrirob | May 18, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Return by Suzanne Woods Fisher is the third book in An Amish Beginnings series. Readers are taken to Stoney Ridge in April 1763. Betsy Zook is in love with Hans Bauer and looks forward to his proposal of marriage. Then one night her life is changed when the Indians attack, kill her parents and take her hostage along with her brother, Johnny. Willie Zook hid in a hollow log and after the Indians depart, he runs to the nearest town. Hans wants to immediately set out to find Betsy, and it takes some work to convince him that would not be the best idea (due to the number of Indians and they have no idea where the hostages were taken). Betsy and the other hostages are taken into the mountains where they are given to various Indian tribes (in tribute). Hans rails against the Indians much to his families’ consternation. Tessa Bauer has cared for Hans for some time and is happy when he starts to pay attention to her. Hans is ready to move on with his life, but then Betsy is returned to them. Caleb, half Indian and half Mennonite, engineers Betsy’s escape and returns her to the Bauer family. Hans is thrilled to have Betsy back, but his quest for vengeance has not been extinguished. Betsy, Caleb, Hans, and Tessa have choices in front of them. Will they make the right decisions? What does the future hold for them? Join them on their journey in The Return.

The Return is well-researched and contains good writing. I thought the characters were well-developed (thought out). The Return is an emotional novel (great sadness and loss). I have to say that The Return is my least favorite novel in An Amish Beginnings series. There is extreme violence and cruelty in the story that was disturbing to me. I am fully aware it is based on true events, but I do not like to read about the violence in such detail (one scene near the end was extremely off putting). I did find the information about Conestoga wagons (the creation, design) to be fascinating. My rating for The Return is 4 out of 5 stars. I highly recommend reading Anna’s Crossing and The Newcomer prior to The Return. Otherwise, it can be confusing with the various characters, their relationships, and how they came to America. Some of the themes or life lessons in the story are prejudice, revenge, racism, tolerance, jealousy, faith, love, and trusting God. I liked the phrases “triumph of human spirit” and “sovereignty of God in all things”. I was disappointed with the ending. It was unsatisfying and odd. It felt incomplete. The Christian element was handled beautifully. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | May 11, 2018 |
If you want a book that is filled with timeless plot lines, amazing characters, and rich historical detail, then I suggest you look at the truly talented, Suzanne Woods Fisher's books. She has been a long time favorite of mine, and each book she writes brings something different and unique to the table for the reader. This book, The Return, is her third book in the Amish Beginnings novels and I am just as fascinated by it as I was the first two. She is a wonderfully talented author and never fails to hook me into the story instantly!

When we think of Amish, we think simple and easy life. And that, for the most part now a days, is true. But, Ms. Fisher takes the readers on a journey to long ago, when the Amish was first settling into the heart of Lancaster County, Pennyslvania and the Indians weren't happy. Betsy, and all she had to endure from the Indians, was a wonderfully chiseled character. My heart felt for her so many times! I can't imagine leaving the one I loved behind for anything and she had to go through that hardship, when she had to leave Hans, the man she was intended to be with, and live among the Indians. And sweet, sweet Caleb. I can't forget him! Oh how he stole my heart!

I definitely want to go on with my review but fear spoiling this third book for you! I will stop there and tell you that if you want an Amish book filled with the rich characters, and emotional feels, then this is a book you don't want to miss. I do recommend reading the books in order as I'm stickler for that often, but this book is easily read as a stand alone. Ms. Fisher adds faith, hope and forgiveness, love and heartache in this tender new Amish novel. It is beautifully written and definitely gets a 5 star hats off from me! Well done, Ms. Fisher!

*I received a complimentary copy of this book from CelebrateLit and was under no obligation to post a review, positive or negative.* ( )
  CafinatedReads | May 10, 2018 |
*Special Note: I received an Advanced Reader's Copy in exchange for a review*

First off, Suzanne Woods Fisher does not disappoint in this book. Her writing is excellent as always. But I will say that this is not going to be an "easy read" or a "fluffy novel." I took my time reading this as I wanted to understand this period of unrest.

The setting is 1763 in Pennsylvania, so this would be the early days of Amish settlement in the American colonies. This is not an easy time for Amish families as the relations between them and the Native American tribes are tense. While some settlers have cordial relations with their native friends, other settlers have unfairly declared all the tribes as troublemakers.

Tessa is one of the leading characters who has her heart set on a very handsome young man named Hans, but he is head over heels in love with a beautiful girl named Betsy. Tessa wishes Betsy gone, so she can get Hans to look at her. It sounds like a typical love triangle until Betsy is kidnapped and carried off by a band of Indians.

Naturally, this creates a great sense of dread and fear with the settlers. The scalpings, kidnappings, and desire for revenge all threaten to tear apart the Amish community. But sometimes, one must go through the fire to come out a stronger person, as we see with Betsy Zook. Another makes a mistake that results in unpleasant consequences.

Even in all the turmoil, love and forgiveness prevail.
  caslater83 | Sep 29, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have read many of Suzanne Woods Fisher's books, and this book (#3 in the Amish Beginnings series) was another excellent one!! I like historic fiction in that time period, especially when it centers around actual events. The series gave a lot of insight into the history of the Amish in Pennsylvania, and what it was like when they first came to America. Kidnapping and massacres by the Indians were still a threat in areas closer to the frontier, and there's some of both in the books.
This 3rd book builds up to the Conestoga Massacre, carried out against the peaceful Conestoga Indians by group of settlers who deemed all Indians a threat, and thus a target for revenge. It makes you consider what it was like in that time period for both the Indians, and the settlers. The settling of America was such a sad & violent time, for the settlers and for the Indians.The uncertainties of the time are captured in her story line.
Suzanne develops her characters in a way that you get a feel for what it was like to be there, and experience the events. Her characters seem very real... some likable, some not; some you'd like to shake some sense into, and some you admire more than others.But they all feel real. There is also some suspense as events play out. She weaves a good story line along with historic events, making for a very good read! ( )
  macnoid | Sep 23, 2017 |

Beautiful and winsome, Betsy Zook never questioned her family's rigid expectations, nor those of devoted Hans, but then she never had to. Not until the night when she's taken captive in a surprise Indian raid. During her captivity, Betsy faces brutality and hardship, but also unexpected kindness. She draws strength from native Caleb, who encourages her to find God in all circumstances. She finds herself torn between her pious upbringing and the intense new feelings this compelling man awakens within her.

Handsome and complex, Hans is greatly anguished by Betsy's captivity and turns to Tessa Bauer for comfort. Eagerly, Tessa responds, overlooking troubling signs of Hans's hunger for revenge. When Betsy is finally restored to the Amish, have things gone too far between Hans and Tessa?

Inspired by true events, this deeply layered novel gives a glimpse into the tumultuous days of prerevolutionary Pennsylvania through the eyes of two young, determined, and faith-filled women.

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 19 Feb 2017 03:49:29 -0500)

When Betsy Zoon is taken captive in a surprise Indian raid, she faces brutality and hardship, but also unexpected kindness. She draws strength from a native, and finds herself torn between her pious upbringing and the intense new feelings this compelling man awakens within her. Hans Bauer is greatly anguished by Betsy's captivity and turns to his foster sister Tessa for comfort. Eagerly, Tessa responds, overlooking troubling signs of Hans's hunger for revenge. When Betsy is finally restored to the Amish, have things gone too far between Hans and Tessa?… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Suzanne Woods Fisher's book The Return is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,542,977 books! | Top bar: Always visible