The Man in the Window (Nancy Pearl's Book…

The Man in the Window (Nancy Pearl's Book Lust Rediscoveries) (edition 2013)

by Jon Cohen (Author), Nancy Pearl (Introduction)

Member:Deelightful
Title:The Man in the Window (Nancy Pearl's Book Lust Rediscoveries)
Authors:Jon Cohen (Author)
Other authors:Nancy Pearl (Introduction)
Info:Lake Union Publishing (2013), 238 pages
Tags:fiction

The Man in the Window by Jon Cohen

9.15
  aletheia21 | Oct 18, 2015 |
(6) This is a fascinating little work of fiction recently republished as one of Nancy Pearl's 'Rediscoveries.' I think maybe originally written in the early 90's. 16yo Louis is badly burned in a fire and becomes a recluse and this is about his dramatic re-entry into the world precipitated by his father's death. Cohen introduces us to quite the cast of characters in this relatively short book - all poignantly and lovingly rendered.

As I mentioned, the characters are really quite entertaining. Arnie and his hook are especially hilarious and I enjoyed his musings and his connection with Gracie. But it is really Iris and her descriptions of her life and work that stole the show. I read afterwards that the author is a former critical care nurse and frankly that is very apparent and the strongest part of the novel. I could have easily read more about Iris and her shifts in the ICU especially with the mysterious Tube Man. The writing in these interludes was brilliant.

So why only a lukewarm rating? Well mostly the ending. And certainly I will not spoil. While I am all for poetic justice and aesthetics in one's novels - in this case it felt unsatisfying and a bit of a cop out. This was the first third or so of what could have been a fantastic novel and I was bummed about when and the way it ended.

So this is the first Nancy Pearl suggestion I've ever read - a freebie from the Kindle Lenders Library through Prime so for sure the price was right. And it is a bit of a gem. I enjoyed it;I'll miss stubby little Iris and her wry musings on her patients in the ICU. ( )
  jhowell | Feb 15, 2014 |

Jon Cohenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Pearl, NancyIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Since he was disfigured in a fire sixteen years ago, recluse Louis Malone has remained hidden from the prying eyes of his neighbors in the small town of Waverly. Across town, Iris Shula, a lonely and unlovely nurse knows, at thirty-seven, it is unlikely that her Prince Charming will ever appear. But Iris is about to learn how wrong she is. When Louis accidently falls out of his second story window these two kindred souls are brought together. What unfolds is a most unlikely love story. One that will make you laugh and that will break and remake your heart.

Since he was disfigured in a fire sixteen years ago, recluse Louis Malone has remained hidden from the prying eyes of his neighbors in the small town of Waverly. Across town, Iris Shula, a lonely and unlovely nurse, knows at thirty-seven it is unlikely that her Prince Charming will ever appear. But Iris is about to learn how wrong she is. When Louis accidentally falls out of his second-story window, these two kindred souls are brought together. What unfolds is a most unlikely love story. One that will make you laugh and that will break--and remake--your heart.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,562,795 books! | Top bar: Always visible