White Fur by Jardine Libaire

White Fur

by Jardine Libaire

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I enjoyed this story, especially the way the author is able to describe a scene or mood, with very few unusual words. The last 50 pages were quick page turners, and the ending was .... (Read the book) This was a free early reviewer edition. ( )
  danfango | Apr 22, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was in the style of my favorite types of love stories, with a more modern take. Jamey and Elise have a type of love that's toxic. They are obsessed and do crazy things because of it, and I love reading these kinds of stories. I also liked the way the story was set up: it starts in June 1987, with a short excerpt of something terrible that's about to happen, and it jumps back eighteen months. It goes through each month of them meeting, falling in love, moving in together, etc. The last chapter is the eighteenth month, completely throwing me off on what I was expecting to happen, and what ended up happening. It was a great pageturner. ( )
  Ahtoosa | Apr 14, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book held my attention about 2/3rds of the way. Then it dropped off to the point where I considered not finishing it. But I did and am glad I did! It's a wonderful story about young love and about how each of our upbringing affects us as adults. The end was a bit scary for a moment but ended up wonderfully. Is a positive outlook on humans and their propensity to live! ( )
  Daffydownd1lly | Apr 13, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Jamey Hyde and Elise Perez come from two different worlds. He attends Yale and lives a life of wealth and privilege. She's poor, works at a fish store and relies on her street smarts to get by. They meet and soon their attraction for one another turns their worlds upside down.

Dark, disturbing, sexy, and raw are all words to describe this book that takes place in the mid 1980s. While I personally loved this book and couldn't put it down, others might be turned off by the language and sex. The author really delves into the heart and minds of the main characters in a way that sets this book apart from other typical rich boy/poor girl stories.

This is the type of book that is polarizing because some people might not like the style of how it was written, the actions of characters, or even the ending. I recommend giving it a shot for those of you that are looking for something that isn't a classic love story.

I received a free copy of this book from LibraryThing Early Reviewers and that is my honest review. ( )
  fastforward | Apr 12, 2017 |
Jamey is a Yale student from an uber-rich and famous New York family (think Rockefeller in his heyday), privileged and pampered, with an emotional attachment to nobody in his family or elsewhere. He's emotionally stunted, hardened, cold. Elise is from the projects, poor, abused yet with a fierce attachment to her mother and those who really love her. She is curious, yet ignorant. She lives hand to mouth next door to Jamey, and when they meet, fireworks go off.

This is the story of their love affair, two kids from opposite sides of the track. Their coming together is brutal, with no romantic ideals: they both just know they want each other, are attracted to something in the other. Elise thinks Jamey is "different"; Jamey senses a realness to Elise that he hasn't found in any other person in his world.

Their story is turbulent and difficult. Both families stand in their way: Jamey's feel that he is throwing his life away on this guttersnipe white trash gold-digger. Elise's family's pull is a little different: they don't offer the same restrictive opposition, but Elise feels, when she goes to visit after nearly a year away, that there are emotional pulls to that world and those people that make her think twice about leaving them.

The title refers to a rabbi-hair jacket Elise owns and wears everywhere. The jacket, and by extension the rabbit it represents, perhaps is a symbol of Elise herself: there's a snow-white purity that Jamey sees in her, that covers a basic instinctual animalism and survivalism that attracts him.

There's a lot of explicit sex here, which fits with the bare-bones animalism of their relationship but may repel some readers.

This is a simple tale, really, a love story with obstacles, but the author builds interest from the get-go. At first both parties are sure this is a one-off fling, so the reader keeps at it. Eventually, the suspense of other parties getting involved -- his parents, her mother, his friends, his work, Martine -- and their effect on this love affair that slowly morphs into something more solid, keeps the reader interested. The setting is 1980s New York, which adds nothing to the drama here -- can we be done now with this "gritty" decade in contemporary novels?

The writing is in the present tense, and a bit difficult to get into at first, being clunky and jagged.

I found the characters extremely unlikeable in the beginning. Jamey is shallow, heartless (flashbacks to his childhood expose him thus) and selfish. Elise is ignorant, crude, tasteless, and boorish. But the characters grow on the reader as they grow closer to each other. The author's depictions of their emotional states, thoughts, conflicts, etc become more and more finely honed, until the reader finds herself rooting for them and reading breathlessly to find out if their story is a tragedy or ends on a happy note.

Thank you to the author and publishers for a review copy of this book. ( )
  ChayaLovesToRead | Apr 9, 2017 |

A stunning star-crossed love story set against the glitz and grit of 1980s New York City

When Elise Perez meets Jamey Hyde on a desolate winter afternoon, fate implodes, and neither of their lives will ever be the same. Although they are next-door neighbors in New Haven, they come from different worlds. Elise grew up in a housing project without a father and didn’t graduate from high school; Jamey is a junior at Yale, heir to a private investment bank fortune and beholden to high family expectations. Nevertheless, the attraction is instant, and what starts out as sexual obsession turns into something greater, stranger, and impossible to ignore.

The unlikely couple moves to Manhattan in hopes of forging an adult life together, but Jamey’s family intervenes in desperation, and the consequences of staying together are suddenly severe. And when a night out with old friends takes a shocking turn, Jamey and Elise find themselves fighting not just for their love, but also for their lives.

White Fur follows these indelible characters on their wild race through Newport mansions and downtown NYC nightspots, SoHo bars and WASP-establishment yacht clubs, through bedrooms and hospital rooms, as they explore, love, play, and suffer. Jardine Libaire combines the electricity of Less Than Zero with the timeless intensity of Romeo and Juliet in this searing, gorgeously written novel that perfectly captures the ferocity of young love.

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 23 Dec 2016 08:11:39 -0500)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

White Fur by Jardine Libaire is available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,789,398 books! | Top bar: Always visible