White Fur by Jardine Libaire

White Fur

by Jardine Libaire

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received an advance copy of White Fur through Early Reviewers and was looking forward to reading it from the description. Unfortunately, Shakespeare this is not. On the contrary, this book is the worst I've read this year.

White Fur centers on Elise, an impoverished runaway from the wrong side of the tracks and Jamey, a Yale-educated heir to the Hyde fortunes. Although Jamey comes from a life of privilege, he has his own demons to fight just like Elise. It is that common brokenness combined with lust that brings them together and sends them down a dark path through the novel. Although Elise finds refuge from her personal demons in Jamey, his intensify through the novel to the point that his entire world comes crashing down around them.

Jardine Libaire does a good job in the first half of the novel with character building of both Elise and Jamey, and there was a great potential to really make a statement regarding mental health. However, too much focus was placed on graphic sex scenes and the lust factor of the couple's relationship, to the detriment of showing how it evolved from lust to true love between the two. The author could have successfully shown Elise and Jamey's mental and emotional state with fewer sex scenes.

I also felt like the book started going off the rails a bit once the couple were in New York and decided to give the middle finger to Jamey's family. The interest Jamey's Yale friends still had in him despite his much-changed state of affairs and the influence the Hyde family continued to have on his life after he cut them off simply did not ring true, not to mention the disconnect between the couple having enough money to take off on a whim to the middle of nowhere despite living on cheerios in an East Village apartment. The ending of the book was anti-climactic; Libaire would have made a far stronger statement had she ended it in the Wagon Wheel motel room instead.

Overall, White Fur was not my cup of tea, and I'd be unlikely to recommend it to others. ( )
  hollyearly | Mar 23, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
White Fur is set in the near-past (mid 1980's), mostly in New Haven and New York. While is it billed as a Romeo and Juliet scenario, I feel like there were far deeper elements at play (severe poverty, mental illness.) It gets dark, and there is a lot of graphic sex that may not sit well with some readers. Though I enjoyed this book, it will not be one I recommend widely only because the content is a little on the heavy side. ( )
  W.MdO | Mar 21, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Wow! What a dark and disturbing story about love and relationships! I absolutely loved it! The writing was top notch and the characters unforgettable! Such a mesmerizing read!! ( )
  bagambo | Mar 18, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Wow. This book. Hmm. Not really a hit for me.
The narrative voice is quite intense from the onset. By the first 50 pages, I had already read more graphic sex scenes than I felt necessary. (If anyone reading this has seen Deadpool, I will refer you to the first act of that movie). I had a hard time relating to Jamey and Elise, which made it difficult for me to connect to the story at large. I'm sure this is for someone, just not me unfortunately.
  literary.jess | Mar 12, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The first one-page chapter confused me with its changing tenses, but grabbed my attention.
A story of boy meets girl, they start a sexual relationship, and they progress to a committed marriage. Hints of Romeo and Juliet vibes from his family add to the intrigue about the couple.
Some of the sex scenes were hard to read, but the overall flow of the novel was quick. The pace picked up post page 262 and I was hooked to the end.
I'm not sure how I feel about the end. I was expecting/hoping for one outcome and got another that made me a little disappointed. ( )
  aimless22 | Mar 8, 2017 |

A stunning star-crossed love story set against the glitz and grit of 1980s New York City

When Elise Perez meets Jamey Hyde on a desolate winter afternoon, fate implodes, and neither of their lives will ever be the same. Although they are next-door neighbors in New Haven, they come from different worlds. Elise grew up in a housing project without a father and didn’t graduate from high school; Jamey is a junior at Yale, heir to a private investment bank fortune and beholden to high family expectations. Nevertheless, the attraction is instant, and what starts out as sexual obsession turns into something greater, stranger, and impossible to ignore.

The unlikely couple moves to Manhattan in hopes of forging an adult life together, but Jamey’s family intervenes in desperation, and the consequences of staying together are suddenly severe. And when a night out with old friends takes a shocking turn, Jamey and Elise find themselves fighting not just for their love, but also for their lives.

White Fur follows these indelible characters on their wild race through Newport mansions and downtown NYC nightspots, SoHo bars and WASP-establishment yacht clubs, through bedrooms and hospital rooms, as they explore, love, play, and suffer. Jardine Libaire combines the electricity of Less Than Zero with the timeless intensity of Romeo and Juliet in this searing, gorgeously written novel that perfectly captures the ferocity of young love.

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 23 Dec 2016 08:11:39 -0500)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

White Fur by Jardine Libaire is available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,277,405 books! | Top bar: Always visible