White Fur by Jardine Libaire

White Fur

by Jardine Libaire

LINDA'S BOOK OBSESSION

Book Reviewer and lover of books

My Review of “White Fur” by Jardine Libaire

I would like to thank NetGalley and Crown Publishing, Hogarth, and Jardine Libaire for the ARC (Advanced Reading Copy) of “White Fur” by Jardine Libaire for my honest review. Kudos to Jardine Libaire for her storytelling of such a unique, strange, unusual and bizarre novel. The author’s descriptions of people, places and things are amazing.

The genres of this story are Fiction, and Women’s Fiction. The time line of the story takes place in the 1980’s. The story first takes place in New Haven, then Long Island, New York City, Wyoming , Chicago and other places.

The author describes the characters as complex and complicated, with flawed and possibly dysfunctional personalities.

Out two main characters, Elise Perez and Jamie Hyde come from different worlds of opportunity. Elise was born to a sixteen year old mother, who made many poor choices. Elyse grew up in poverty witnessing her mother’s boyfriends inappropriate behavior, sex, and drug. Elise was born with skills and a tough outer shell for survival. She was responsible at times for watching the other children and working to pay bills. As a result, Elise didn’t finish high school.

Jamie Hyde, is handsome, extremely wealthy, and is like a magnet attracting attention. Jamie is in Yale, and his father owns a major financial company, and his divorced strange mother is a well-known actress. Both the mother and father are unlikable. They are not capable of showing affection, attention or love. Jamie appears to be a leader, but that is an illusion. He is chronically sad and pretends to “feel” something. He tends to look like he is paying attention, but is in another world.

The two characters are neighbors in New Haven. Elyse and Jamie start an obsessive and lustful relationship. They are two opposites in many ways that have both been brought up in toxic households. Jamie’s family try to go to any length necessary to stop this relationship.

Is it possible for two characters from differing worlds to have a relationship and be in love? This story is a modern updated twisted version of Romeo and Juliet. In this world are two opposing families, betrayal, drugs, alcohol, and danger. This is a very dangerous place to be for two young lovers.

I would highly recommend this intriguing and disturbing novel. It is very hard to put down. Happy Reading!! ( )
  teachlz | May 18, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a compelling love story between two very flawed characters. They manage to overcome their divergent backgrounds and find each other. The author manages to convey their love as they overcome obstacles being thrown into their pathway. ( )
  momweaver | May 15, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Maybe I am just too old, but this is the worst book I've read in a very long time - perhaps ever.It's written in the present tense which is the most annoying narrative form ever and consists of a cast of vapid, self-absorbed character that we follow from New Haven to New York. Is the world now nostalgic for the bad old day in New York City and the coke-fueled nightlife that existed at that time? Sorry, but I lived through this and I am not amused. ( )
  etxgardener | May 13, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Full disclosure, this is an ARC sent to me through LibraryThing. Honestly, I don't know how I feel about this book. The writing is unique. It's a gritty story about a girl from the projects and a boy from a very wealthy family. The relationship starts out as sex but becomes more. There are parts of the book I loved and some parts dragged on. Give it try and see what you think. ( )
  lvmygrdn | May 13, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The story of a girl from a tough background and a Rich boy from New York. It has some interesting views into life in NYC in the late eighties. I liked the writing style but it sometimes prevented me from feeling a connection with the characters. ( )
  reb922 | May 12, 2017 |

A stunning star-crossed love story set against the glitz and grit of 1980s New York City

When Elise Perez meets Jamey Hyde on a desolate winter afternoon, fate implodes, and neither of their lives will ever be the same. Although they are next-door neighbors in New Haven, they come from different worlds. Elise grew up in a housing project without a father and didn’t graduate from high school; Jamey is a junior at Yale, heir to a private investment bank fortune and beholden to high family expectations. Nevertheless, the attraction is instant, and what starts out as sexual obsession turns into something greater, stranger, and impossible to ignore.

The unlikely couple moves to Manhattan in hopes of forging an adult life together, but Jamey’s family intervenes in desperation, and the consequences of staying together are suddenly severe. And when a night out with old friends takes a shocking turn, Jamey and Elise find themselves fighting not just for their love, but also for their lives.

White Fur follows these indelible characters on their wild race through Newport mansions and downtown NYC nightspots, SoHo bars and WASP-establishment yacht clubs, through bedrooms and hospital rooms, as they explore, love, play, and suffer. Jardine Libaire combines the electricity of Less Than Zero with the timeless intensity of Romeo and Juliet in this searing, gorgeously written novel that perfectly captures the ferocity of young love.

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 23 Dec 2016 08:11:39 -0500)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Jardine Libaire's book White Fur is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,404,099 books! | Top bar: Always visible