Fallout: A V.I. Warshawski Novel (V.I.…

Fallout: A V.I. Warshawski Novel (V.I. Warshawski Novels) (edition 2017)

by Sara Paretsky (Author)

Member:ElyPublicLibrary
Title:Fallout: A V.I. Warshawski Novel (V.I. Warshawski Novels)
Authors:Sara Paretsky (Author)
Info:William Morrow (2017), 448 pages
Collections:New Books

Fallout: A V.I. Warshawski Novel (V.I. Warshawski Novels) by Sara Paretsky

Good book. like her as a detective and interesting story in different location. I even like her dogs. Always a bit long and maybe for a detective she does not demonstrate good judgement. ( )
  shazjhb | Jun 14, 2017 |
V.I. is out of element, searching for 2 Chicagoans who have gone missing in a small Kansas town. As the dead bodies and unanswered questions around her mount, she realizes that there is much more at stake and that stumbling over the truth of something that happened 35 years ago may have forced her clients into hiding. ( )
  lilibrarian | Jun 5, 2017 |
Paretsky never lets you down when VI Warshawski takes on a new job. This time Vic goes to Kansas looking for a movie great from the past and a young film maker. The job seems to be tied to events in the 1980's. Along for the ride is Peppy, the golden retriever offering support and comfort for Vic.
Great story, fast paced, intriguing and as usual with a message. ( )
  librarian1204 | May 11, 2017 |
This is one heckuva book! V. I. is back and she's stronger, braver and funnier than ever. And she's not even on her home turf. She has taken on a case that has her in small-town Kansas. And she's not all alone either. She has taken her dog Peppy with her for moral support. It turns out that it's a good thing she has Peppy there for her own protection because she's on a doozy of a case. She's been hired to find an ageing movie star and a young film director who are travelling together and she knows that they have to the town of Lawrence, Kansas to film the movie star's early life. The two have misteriously disappeared and V.I. finds that no one in the town wants to talk to her, but they sure do want to keep an eye on her and on what she's doing there every minute. In typical V.I. fashion, she uncovers a real hornet's nest of a mess that somehow involves the military, the scientific community, and even, in a remote way Russia. History is buried very deep in Lawrence, and no one wants V. I. to find out a thing, and the whole town will stop at nothing to thwart her every move. This is a fast-paced, thriller that never lets go right from the opening page.. Sara Paretsky proves once again that she belongs with the highest echelon of mystery writers with this book. V.I. does what only she can do - dig as deep as she has to to get to the bottom of the mystery, and she puts herself right on the firing line while she's out ferreting the truth. Thank you Sara for a really enjoyable ride. I can't wait for the next V.I. Warshawski mystery. You never disappoint. ( )
  Romonko | Apr 29, 2017 |
Fallout by Sara Paretsky is the highly recommended 18th book in her long-running V. I. Warshawski series. This time the case takes V. I. out of Chicago to Lawrence, Kansas.

Angela Creedy and Bernadine Fouchard (Brush Back, 2015) want Warshawski to find Angela's cousin, August Veriden. The aspiring film maker is missing and the police want to question him over the ransacking the Six-Points Gym, where he works as a personal trainer. It appears that August left Chicago with aging black actress, Emerald Ferring. The two were headed to Kansas to film a documentary about her origins. The trail leads to Lawrence, KS, where the University of Kansas is located and the story evolves into more than simply a search for missing persons.

In Kansas Warshawski becomes enmeshed with events that happened in 1983 involving a protest at a missile silo outside of the town and plenty of small town gossip and politics. In response to posters she put up downtown, Sonia Kiel, the mentally -ll daughter of imminent retired KU professor Nathan Kiel, contacts Warshawski to tell her where she saw Emerald and August, but the call ends abruptly. When Warshawski goes to the bar Sonia called from she finds the woman drugged and unconscious. Warshawski calls 911, but this marks the first of several calls she will have to make while unraveling the events of 1983 and how they relate to her present case.

The plot on this outing does meander a bit off track and loses sight of the original case for a good chunk of the novel. Paretsky does pull it all together in the end and solves her case. There are several bad guys in this novel along with several ill-informed citizens. Warshawski continues to have an amazing ability to follow the least of clues and ingratiate herself with the right people while antagonizing the bad guys.

In the opening "Thanks" Paretsky explains that she grew up in Lawrence and her father was a professor and researcher at the University of Kansas. Lawrence is home to KU (1866), but also to Haskell Indian Nations University (1884). The population is probably around 90,000, not huge, but the city is an easy commute to nearby cities, including Topeka and the KC metro area. There are numerous colleges and universities nearby. I'm going to have to take this review a bit personal because of the location Paretsky choose. I totally get taking a place you knew growing up, and switching things up to suit your story by using the real location but with a new layout and altered terrain. I guess what I found rather troubling was her dislike of Lawrence. It became rather obvious that she harbors some latent animosity toward the city. I've live in Lawrence for about six years, but I have yet to encounter the cliquish behavior, city-wide gossip, or the prejudice she implies still exists. I actually lived in this area of the country many years ago. After moving several times to cities in other states across the country, I chose to move back to this area. So, if you were ever thinking of relocating to the area don't base your decision on what how this fictional novel portrays Lawrence.

Disclosure: My review copy was courtesy of HarperCollins.
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1974400163 ( )
  SheTreadsSoftly | Apr 17, 2017 |
FOR SUE BOWKER \br With thanks for many things, including your support for this book

P.D. JAMES called her "the most remarkable" of today's suspense writers.

STIEG LARSSON loved her work so much, he named her in his novels.

And now SARA PARETSKY returns with the most extraordinary novel of her legendary career: FALLOUT.

Before there was Lisbeth Salander, before there was Stephanie Plum, there was V.I. WARSHAWSKI. To her parents, she's Victoria Iphigenia. To her friends, she's Vic. But to clients seeking her talents as a detective, she's V.I. And her new case will lead her from her native Chicago... and into Kansas, on the trail of a vanished film student and a faded Hollywood star.

Accompanied by her dog, V.I. tracks her quarry through a university town, across fields where missile silos once flourished -- and into a past riven by long-simmering racial tensions, a past that holds the key to the crimes of the present. But as the mysteries stack up, so does the body count. And in this, her toughest case, not even V.I. is safe.

Exciting and provocative, fiercely intelligent and witty, FALLOUT is reading at its most enjoyable and powerful.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 16 Nov 2016 20:54:15 -0500)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,218,493 books! | Top bar: Always visible