Charity Girl by Georgette Heyer

Charity Girl (1970)

by Georgette Heyer

I'll just leave this as an explanation for myself. I cannot believe the same person wrote [b:The Grand Sophy|261689|The Grand Sophy|Georgette Heyer|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1414731822s/261689.jpg|3234291] wrote this.
You never get the feeling of who should be together. One of the positive things in this story is the hero himself. He is rarely with the heroine since he is trying to solve Cherry's problem so that could be the reason.
The rest of them are as annoying as they can get. I neither liked snobbish Henrietta, nor Cherry (one of the dumbest characters I've come across in fiction). Everyone else is either horrible and selfish or simply dumb. Except Desford.

I admit that the beginning of the story is pretty good and funny so there's that. ( )
  Aneris | Aug 12, 2016 |
Nothing wrong with it, nothing exciting. Very similar to another Heyer (ah, it's Sprig Muslin), though this time the wandering girl who makes the hero and heroine realize they're in love and always have been is far less obnoxious - boring, a bit, but very sweet, not like the spoiled brat of the other book (I forget which one, I read it relatively recently though). I quite like most of the characters here - the (of course) handsome, intelligent, independent hero, his crotchety father and lovely (mentally and physically) mother, his young but reasonably sensible brother, the sensible and intelligent heroine, the wandering girl (that's Charity), and even the hero's valet and groom who are very loyal to him and very jealous of each other. Oh, and the nice-but-dull suitor who provides the final answer to the puzzle. The heroine's mother, Charity's aunt, cousins, and grandfather, and Charity's father (who deserves a mention all to himself) are appropriately nasty and occasionally useful despite that. Enjoyable, not particularly memorable. I don't think I'll bother to keep it (or Sprig Muslin); I'm glad I read it, but not interested in rereading. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Jun 27, 2016 |
I'll just leave this as an explanation for myself. I cannot believe the same person wrote The Grand Sophy wrote this.

Aneris | Mar 17, 2016 |
Viscount Desford is titled, wealthy and smart, but no woman has yet caught his eye. Then he encounters Charity, a young lady whose parents were the despair of society and is now living on her aunt's sufferance. Desford is moved by her unhappiness, and sets out to find her grandfather, who he hopes will take charge of her. Everyone fears that Desford will fall for the penniless, unconnected Charity, who has nothing to offer Desford but a good heart and "taking" ways.

SPOILERS: Luckily for everyone, the adventure of finding Charity's grandfather leads Desford to realize that he is in love with his old friend Henrietta. I didn't get a good feel for any of the characters, and there wasn't a great deal of plot. This was enjoyable, but compared to Heyer's other books, lackluster. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
An enjoyable regency romance - recommended for fans of Georgette Heyer. ( )
  cazfrancis | Feb 24, 2016 |

Georgette Heyerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Philpott, DanielNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As far as it was possible for an elderly gentleman suffering from dyspepsia and a particularly violent attack of gout to take pleasure in anything but the alleviation of his various pains the Earl of Wroxton was enjoying himself.

Georgette Heyer, in her inimitable style, explores the lengths to which a gentleman must go to avoid scandal when confronted by a very young runaway lady.

When Viscount Desford encounters Charity Steane walking to London alone, he feels honor bound to assist her. Dashing about the countryside to find Charity's elusive grandfather, the Viscount must somehow prevent his exasperating charge from bringing ruin upon herself-and him.

"This is the most delightful new Georgette Heyer Regency romance in several years. It is witty, full of dashing period slang, and it trifles with the affairs of several maids and men with such style and gentle irony that readers of good 'ton,' as Miss Heyer herself might put it, will find reading it a very 'comfortable cose' indeed." -Publishers Weekly

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:01 -0400)

Viscount Desford tries to help a very young lady walking to London alone, and finds himself working hard to prevent his young charge from bringing ruin upon herself--and him.

Sourcebooks Casablanca

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Casablanca.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,262,070 books! | Top bar: Always visible