Charity Girl by Georgette Heyer

Charity Girl (1970)

by Georgette Heyer

Recently added byGanneC, Irena., private library, SueinCyprus, thea-block, mom2lnb

I'll just leave this as an explanation for myself. I cannot believe the same person wrote [b:The Grand Sophy|261689|The Grand Sophy|Georgette Heyer|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1414731822s/261689.jpg|3234291] wrote this.
You never get the feeling of who should be together. One of the positive things in this story is the hero himself. He is rarely with the heroine since he is trying to solve Cherry's problem so that could be the reason.
The rest of them are as annoying as they can get. I neither liked snobbish Henrietta, nor Cherry (one of the dumbest characters I've come across in fiction). Everyone else is either horrible and selfish or simply dumb. Except Desford.

I admit that the beginning of the story is pretty good and funny so there's that. ( )
  Irena. | Jan 28, 2016 |
Georgette Heyer's historical fiction is my 'comfort reading'. This is one of my all-time favourites. The story is about a nice, unassuming Viscount who befriends a young girl in all innocence when he sees her peeping through the bannisters at a dance.

Before long he's involved in a chase around the country, suspected of having abducted her, when all he wants is to find her paternal grandfather.

Desford, the Viscount, is a likeable hero; I was also very taken with his close friend Henrietta - Hetta - whom he frequently asks for advice. Some of the minor characters are amusingly caricatured, but they make the story all the more enjoyable in my opinion.

It's fast-moving with humour, action, and the usual cleverly written and satisfying conclusion. It's over six years since I last read it, and although I remembered the basic outline of the plot, there was plenty to enjoy afresh. Highly recommended to anyone who likes light historical fiction. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
Another fun read. Desborough is an eligible Viscount who is the perfect gentleman. He comes across young Cherry Steane at a local party hosted by her aunt, she's not at the party, but is peering down the stairs trying to see the ball goers. Her cousin is the beauty and Cherry is downtrodden in order to let Lucasta shine.
Next day, Desborough finds Cherry having run away from her aunt's and takes her up in his carriage. The tale of woe she tells means that he ends up taking her under his wing. From here on in, his well ordered life sort of falls apart. Cherry's relations are most unsuitable and don't want to have her on their hands (well not unless they can make something out of her) and Desborough disapproves. He ends up lodging her with Hetta, a friend from childhood who, it was once mooted, he should marry. There are a fair few twists and turns and highly unlikely events, but it's all good fun. Maybe it's the season, but I was put a little in mind of Cinderella in the fate of Cherry, it even resolves itself and you are sure they will live happily ever after. Lovely. ( )
  Helenliz | Dec 25, 2015 |
What I like in most books by this talented author is her character interaction and use of witty dialogue – elements sadly in short supply in this lacklustre tale.

The character Charity – aka Cherry – was my favourite cast member, but her appearances are too few.

Lots of extended third-person narrative slows the pace down. The info these passages offer would’ve been better dramatized.

Similar to Ms Heyer’s “My Lord John”, this tome features many slang or archaic words and phrases that are not likely to be known to the average reader from the time this book was first published and onwards. For example, “shuttlehead”, “lobcock”, and “rabbit-sucker” are a few among many terms that mean nothing to me. It’s all well and good for an author to be authentic to the period that they’re writing for, but they should consider that the average reader does not wish to pause every few sentences to spend time wondering/looking up the meaning of defunct words or phrases.

As much as I like this author’s works in general, this one falls flat. The story has little to offer and certain information is repeated too often. Would’ve rated this one star had it not been for the occasional flash of humorous dialogue that Ms Heyer was an expert at creating. ( )
  PhilSyphe | Oct 10, 2015 |
I had the strongest feeling of déjà vu while reading Charity Girl by Georgette Heyer. I realized quite quickly that this was because this book is remarkably similar to Sprig Muslim which I read about five years ago. Since I read and enjoyed that book first, this one weighs in as the lesser read of the two. Charity Girl was originally published in 1970, while Sprig Muslin debuted in 1956. Why Ms. Heyer chose to repeat one of her plots I don’t know, but I was definitely disappointed.

The plot is of a young runaway girl coming under the protection of Viscount Desford. In order to protect her reputation, he takes her to his lifelong friend, Henrietta Silverdale who takes the young girl under her wing. In the confusion and entanglements, Desford finds he is looking at Henrietta in a new way. As for the young runaway, she too, finds a happy ending.

I have always found Georgette Heyer books to be clever, witty, stylish and romantic, I just wasn’t expecting this one to be recycled from an earlier story. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Jul 22, 2015 |
As far as it was possible for an elderly gentleman suffering from dyspepsia and a particularly violent attack of gout to take pleasure in anything but the alleviation of his various pains the Earl of Wroxton was enjoying himself.

Georgette Heyer, in her inimitable style, explores the lengths to which a gentleman must go to avoid scandal when confronted by a very young runaway lady.

When Viscount Desford encounters Charity Steane walking to London alone, he feels honor bound to assist her. Dashing about the countryside to find Charity's elusive grandfather, the Viscount must somehow prevent his exasperating charge from bringing ruin upon herself-and him.

"This is the most delightful new Georgette Heyer Regency romance in several years. It is witty, full of dashing period slang, and it trifles with the affairs of several maids and men with such style and gentle irony that readers of good 'ton,' as Miss Heyer herself might put it, will find reading it a very 'comfortable cose' indeed." -Publishers Weekly

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:01 -0400)

Viscount Desford tries to help a very young lady walking to London alone, and finds himself working hard to prevent his young charge from bringing ruin upon herself--and him.

Sourcebooks Casablanca

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Casablanca.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,253,967 books! | Top bar: Always visible