One Country: A Bold Proposal to End the…

One Country: A Bold Proposal to End the Israeli-Palestinian Impasse

by Ali Abunimah

Abunimah’s proposal certainly is bold as the subtitle suggests, but it made for one of the most interesting reads on the conflict I’ve read to date. His argument is well-founded, thoughtful, clear, and just plain brilliant. He spends some time on the conflict, but the majority of his attention is focuses on the situation he presents. I found his comparisons to South Africa to be most interesting; not derogatory or demonizing but hopeful that the reconciliation that is occurring there can happen in Israel-Palestine.

He makes the case that the “demographic time bomb” Israeli politicians fear will occur (that is, that the number of Arab Palestinians will overwhelm the population Israeli Jews so that Jews become the minority even within the current state of Israel) has pushed Israel into “defensive” actions that include the settlements in the West Bank and proposals for the forced expulsion of Palestinians in order to preserve the Jewish majority of a Jewish state.

Read more on my blog: http://ardentreader.wordpress.com/2011/01/07/one-country/ ( )
  theardentreader | Jul 25, 2012 |
This book came to my attention when I read a review as I had myself as an armchair analyst came to the same conclusion proposed in the book, namely that the only possible peaceful solution is a united nation where Jews and Arabs live together.

One of the reasons I thought this was having spent part of my childhood living in Brussels and learning how a bilingual bicultural country learns to make peace with each other. I was surprised to read the author had done exactly the same thing.

It is still a brave perspective to put forward that Palestinians and Israelis need to learn to live together and yet it is the only sane solution. This book sets out the reasoning for this, referring to the long and complex history whilst leaving much of the complications out of discussion.

It's a straightforward and very accessible read that deserves wider publicity. ( )
  mumfie | Feb 14, 2012 |
If a two-state solution is the U.S. government's official position, isn't that enough to make one realize that's probably not a solution that could ever be fair to Palestinians? That's my simple argument. I'd recommend reading Abunimah's much more complex one. ( )
  JasonSmith | Nov 19, 2009 |

A "visionary"* approach to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict--one state for two peoples--that is more urgent than ever

It is by now a commonplace that the only way to end the Israeli-Palestinian violence is to divide the territory in two. All efforts at resolving the conflict have come down to haggling over who gets what: Will Israel hand over 90 percent of the West Bank or only 60 percent? Will a Palestinian state include any part of Jerusalem?

Clear-eyed, sharply reasoned, and compassionate, One Country proposes a radical alternative: to revive the neglected idea of one state shared by two peoples. Ali Abunimah shows how the two are by now so intertwined--geographically and economically--that separation cannot lead to the security Israelis need or the rights Palestinians must have. Taking on the objections and taboos that stand in the way of a binational solution, he demonstrates that sharing the territory will bring benefits for all.

The absence of other workable options has only led to ever- greater extremism. It is time, Abunimah argues, for Palestinians and Israelis to imagine a different future and a different relationship.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:33 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,474,736 books! | Top bar: Always visible