dismiss

A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh…

A House at the Bottom of a Lake

by Josh Malerman

It sounded like the perfect first date: canoeing across a chain of lakes, sandwiches and beer in the cooler. But teenagers Amelia and James discover something below the water's surface that changes their lives forever. It's got two stories. It's got a garden. And the front door is open. For the teens, there is onlly one rule: no questions. And yet, how could a place so spectacular come with no price tag? While the duo plays house beneath the waves, one reality remains: just because a house is empty, doesn't mean nobody's home.… (more)

Review in progress ( )
  OurWolvesDen | Mar 29, 2020 |
I usually don't go for short stories, especially at this price point, but the cover design was striking and I really enjoyed Malerman's last novel.

'A House at the Bottom of a Lake' doesn't disappoint. It's a story about first love and fear of its loss and of the wider, stranger world yawning in front of you at 17. I feel this easily could have been developed into a novel. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Jan 17, 2020 |
This was never outright scary but I had a general feeling of unease throughout the entire story. It makes me wish that I still taught in high school English class because I think this would be fun to talk about with teenagers. Highly enjoyable. I recommend. ( )
  TeamRedmon | Aug 20, 2019 |
I finished this book yesterday morning, and I cannot stop thinking about it. I live on a lake that was created in the 1960s. A small town was moved to damn two rivers to create the lake. According to my parents, most of the houses were moved...but some were not. I'm sure what was left has disintegrated over the past fifty plus years, but this novella really got me to thinking about what is under the surface. I'm also intrigued by old, abandoned homes, so this book just checks so many boxes for me. I need more stories like this one! ( )
  tntbeckyford | Feb 16, 2019 |
I didn't care for this much, which disappointed me because I loved "Bird Box". But here I found the two main characters annoying and unbelievable (altho I'm willing to consider that I'm just too old to remember being a teen accurately), and the story dull up until the last two pages. If this story had started where it ended, I'd have probably given it another star. ( )
  BooksCatsEtc | Feb 13, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,537,383 books! | Top bar: Always visible