Origin: A Novel (Robert Langdon) by Dan…

Origin: A Novel (Robert Langdon) (edition 2018)

by Dan Brown (Author)

Member:Michael_Fincher
Title:Origin: A Novel (Robert Langdon)
Authors:Dan Brown (Author)
Info:Anchor (2018), Edition: Reprint, 608 pages

Origin by Dan Brown

English (85)  German (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  Estonian (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (95)
Nope. Too much fact-dropping, too hollow characters, too many Amazing Coincidences.
  ishamaeli | Mar 17, 2019 |
I've loved reading Dan Brown books since Da Vinci Code came out. This book was good as are the others, it moves quickly, but his books are beginning to get a bit redundant. Robert Langdon hooks up with a damsel in distress, seems to be running on a treadmill, very in depth explanations for trivial facts in regards to location, catholic faith and more, and then it ends.
I was a bit disappointed in the ending, it lead up to something that I thought would be more religious in nature, but isn't. This one just wasn't what his previous stories were. I gave it a 4 star review just because it did keep moving quickly and it is short chapters, which I always like, but I was generous. I hope his next Robert Langdon book is a bit more surprising. ( )
  LydiaGranda | Feb 15, 2019 |
I have enjoyed several of Brown's books, but this one was just okay. In my opinion some of his others were better and while this one reads quickly and has well developed characters, the plot is a bit weaker than some of the earlier books. As usual Brown has done his research and he builds his story has some factual basis, but its a bit more convoluted than some of his others and it was harder for me to stay engaged in the story. ( )
  Al-G | Feb 2, 2019 |
I bought this as a fun, distraction read and it didn't disappoint. Not as good as the some of the other books and the "twist" was pretty clear from about halfway through, but overall it did it's job. ( )
  Bricker | Feb 1, 2019 |
Decent thriller in the same style as the previous ones, but perhaps a bit less memorable than most of the earlier volumes. The novel works, but it suffers from overhyping a reveal for hundreds of pages, only to have it be a theory that's fairly well-known and prosaic by novel's end (though the characters always still seem overwhelmed by it). Brown often does this in his books, but due to the structure of this particular narrative, the issue feels particularly strong here. As for the various twists and turns, I saw them coming at about 40% of the page count -- which, actually, is reasonably late (there's a limit to how many solutions a set up can have without introducing dozens of pointless characters). And more importantly, I bought that the characters in the middle of the story did _not_, and so could feel trepidation and concern on their behalf as they finally figure things out by the end. I also found it very disappointing how the book did not make any mention of the enormous world-changing consequences of the previous entry in the series -- I realise these are all written to be standalone, but in this particular case (considering one of the plotlines in the book deals directly with a pregnancy), not mentioning the events of 'Inferno' at any point seemed downright stupid and took me out of the narrative at many points.

An entertaining enough read for completists and fans, but if you're only ever reading a single Robert Langdon book, go with "Angels and Demons". ( )
  LokiAesir | Jan 18, 2019 |

Dan Brownprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sappinen, Jorma-VeikkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us. Joseph Campbell
In Memory of My Mother
As the ancient cogwheel train clawed its way up the dizzying incline, Edmond Kirsch surveyed the jagged mountaintop above him.

Robert Langdon, Harvard professor of symbology and religious iconology, arrives at the ultramodern Guggenheim Museum Bilbao to attend a major announcement—the unveiling of a discovery that “will change the face of science forever.” The evening’s host is Edmond Kirsch, a forty-year-old billionaire and futurist whose dazzling high-tech inventions and audacious predictions have made him a renowned global figure. Kirsch, who was one of Langdon’s first students at Harvard two decades earlier, is about to reveal an astonishing breakthrough...one that will answer two of the fundamental questions of human existence. As the event begins, Langdon and several hundred guests find themselves captivated by an utterly original presentation, which Langdon realizes will be far more controversial than he ever imagined. But the meticulously orchestrated evening suddenly erupts into chaos, and Kirsch’s precious discovery teeters on the brink of being lost forever. Reeling and facing an imminent threat, Langdon is forced into a desperate bid to escape Bilbao. With him is Ambra Vidal, the elegant museum director who worked with Kirsch to stage the provocative event. Together they flee to Barcelona on a perilous quest to locate a cryptic password that will unlock Kirsch’s secret. Navigating the dark corridors of hidden history and extreme religion, Langdon and Vidal must evade a tormented enemy whose all-knowing power seems to emanate from Spain’s Royal Palace itself...and who will stop at nothing to silence Edmond Kirsch. On a trail marked by modern art and enigmatic symbols, Langdon and Vidal uncover clues that ultimately bring them face-to-face with Kirsch’s shocking discovery...and the breathtaking truth that has long eluded us.

Robert Langdon, Harvard professor of symbology and religious iconology, arrives at the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao to attend the unveiling of a discovery that "will change the face of science forever". The evening's host is his friend and former student, Edmond Kirsch, a forty-year-old tech magnate whose dazzling inventions and audacious predictions have made him a controversial figure around the world. This evening is to be no exception: he claims he will reveal an astonishing scientific breakthrough to challenge the fundamentals of human existence. But Langdon and several hundred other guests are left reeling when the meticulously orchestrated evening is blown apart before Kirsch's precious discovery can be revealed. With his life under threat, Langdon is forced into a desperate bid to escape, along with the museum's director, Ambra Vidal. Together they flee to Barcelona on a perilous quest to locate a cryptic password that will unlock Kirsch's secret.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,409,852 books! | Top bar: Always visible