Consider Phlebas (Culture) by Iain M. Banks

Consider Phlebas (Culture) (original 1987; edition 2008)

by Iain M. Banks

Info:Orbit (2008), Paperback, 544 pages
Collections:Read in 2012
Rating:*
Tags:Science Fiction

Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks (1987)

English (128)  Italian (2)  Romanian (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (133)
Yes, but Kindle.
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |
I don't typically like books where the protagonist is obviously fighting for the wrong side. This book managed to win me over by providing a large cast of memorable supporting characters, a vivid and distinct Science-Fiction setting, and constant varied action sequences.

The lowest points in my enjoyment of the book were the periods of lull and slow struggle between the excitement. Maybe it is necessary to understand the fun parts of the story, but I will never enjoy reading about an injured character dragging himself around for an extended period of time. I'd greatly prefer skipping to the moment when the injured character reaches their destination, and does something. If I had readg the book in print, rather than listening to an audiobook, I would have happily skipped that sort of thing. ( )
  wishanem | Jan 27, 2015 |
I made it through the book. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't really my cuppa. And I wanted so much to love it, too. ( )
  ladypembroke | Nov 22, 2014 |
Great introduction to the Culture universe - an interesting vision of where humanity may evolve if all our daily "needs" are satisfied and the quest for capital and financial rewards disappears. What if we had everything we wanted - but still had the human need to attain "something".... and then came across another society who completely disagreed.

Also an interesting side story about the evolution of sentient machine life. If machine intelligence continues to progress, and eventually surpasses their creators, does society then need to recognize them as sentient - and allow the same rights and privileges? The machines we create no longer are required to do the tasks they were created for - and the impact on society becomes very complex.

Banks creates a compelling storyline with characters you can relate to... even if 3 legged adversaries bent on humanities destruction or machine based. All in all a very satisfying read. ( )
1 vote DaveCapp | Oct 22, 2014 |
More linear that I was expecting, but (at least the first two-thirds) very immersive nonetheless. The final third on Schar's World was very slow in comparison with the rest of the book and could have done with some cutting. ( )
  rlangston | Jun 25, 2014 |
The choice of name was definitely not an attempt to gain literary credentials or he would have ditched the ‘camp aliens and laser blasters.’ He has acknowledged the similarities to the poem in that the main character in Consider Phlebas is drowning and later undergoes a ’sea-change’ – this being a motif running through The Waste Land – but that is far as it goes.
But there are a number of parallels between the two works, whether deliberate or not on Iain’s part. To prove my point I will take a brief look at Consider Phlebas and then at The Waste Land, followed by examples of how the latter informs the former.
added by elenchus | editJohn Black blog, John Black (Oct 4, 2012)

Banks, Iain M.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hopkinson, RichardCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Keynäs, VilleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Salwowski, MarkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll,PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Idolatry is worse than carnage."

The Koran, 2:190
"Gentile or Jew
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,
Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you."

T. S. Eliot,
'The Waste Land', IV
to the memory of Bill Hunt
The ship didn't even have a name.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031600538X, Paperback)

"Dazzlingly original." -- Daily Mail
"Gripping, touching and funny." -- TLS

The war raged across the galaxy. Billions had died, billions more were doomed. Moons, planets, the very stars themselves, faced destruction, cold-blooded, brutal, and worse, random. The Idirans fought for their Faith; the Culture for its moral right to exist. Principles were at stake. There could be no surrender.

Within the cosmic conflict, an individual crusade. Deep within a fabled labyrinth on a barren world, a Planet of the Dead proscribed to mortals, lay a fugitive Mind. Both the Culture and the Idirans sought it. It was the fate of Horza, the Changer, and his motley crew of unpredictable mercenaries, human and machine, actually to find it, and with it their own destruction.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:49 -0400)

War ranged across the galaxy. Billions had died, billions more were doomed. The Idirans fought for their faith, The Culture for its moral right to exist. There could be no surrender.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,727,935 books! | Top bar: Always visible