Cotillion by Georgette Heyer

Cotillion (original 1953; edition 1973)

by Georgette Heyer

Young Kitty Charing stands to inherit a vast fortune from her irascible great-uncle Matthew--provided she marries one of her cousins. Kitty is not wholly adverse to the plan, if the right nephew proposes. Unfortunately, Kitty has set her heart on Jack Westruther, a confirmed rake, who seems to have no inclination to marry her anytime soon. In an effort to make Jack jealous, and to see a little more of the world than her isolated life on her great-uncle's estate has afforded her, Kitty devises a plan. She convinces yet another of her cousins, the honorable Freddy Standen, to pretend to be engaged to her. Her plan would bring her to London on a visit to Freddy's family and (hopefully) render the elusive Mr. Westruther madly jealous. But she didn't count on falling in love with the dandified Freddy.--From http://www.amazon.com.… (more)
Member:jjmcgaffey
Title:Cotillion
Authors:Georgette Heyer
Info:Berkley Medallion Book (1973), Paperback
Collections:Read, ebooks, Working on
Rating:***1/2
Tags:__scanned, _import160830, !Po, Fic, Romance, Romance:Historical, _Read2017, __make_cover

Cotillion by Georgette Heyer (1953)

Recently added byFardo, private library, MorganSte, Addams95, impatienke, PhilippaHorsell
    Friday's Child by Georgette Heyer (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Both books feature heroines who have lived all their lives in the country and are brought to London to be introduced into the ton, attend masquerade balls, and be spirited away by their respective unlikely knights whenever they fall unwittingly into social error. But somehow Heyer manipulates the various circumstances and events in such a way that the drama of each story is distinct, memorable, and moving.… (more)
    Sprig Muslin by Georgette Heyer (JalenV)
    JalenV: This time the young lady of quality is running away to force her grandfather to allow her to marry the man she loves. She involves the kind gentleman who meets her on the road into quite a few scrapes that are more amusing for the reader than the gentleman.

English (78)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (81)
This is probably my favorite Georgette Heyer novel to date. The characters are incredibly entertaining, and I just loved how everything flowed together in the end. ( )
  shadrachanki | Jun 8, 2018 |
Not quite your classic Georgette Heyer Regency Romance - in this case the hero is a gentle man as well as a Gentleman and the classic Georgette Heyer hero is the loser in love. The story takes its form from the Cotillion, a dance with four couples, and storyline chronicles the changing partnerships as they move through the dance. Very pleasant re-read. (I was prompted to re read after a nature vs nurtre discussion with my sister and she reminded me of a scene in Cotillion where the heroine learns that her friend, though naturally "good" can't be expected to innately know "proper" behaviour when her upbringing is not in "proper" cricles). ( )
  Figgles | Apr 11, 2018 |
This was so funny! What a pleasant surprise. The hero is a bit of a nitwit (his reaction to having to go to cultural institutions was PRICELESS), but with a incredibly generous heart. Actually, the nitwittedness of Freddy was refreshing. He's so...unintimidating and gloriously human. Loved him. And the heroine tries so hard to be a proper London lady and fails miserably. This was just so entertaining. I'm going to have to read more of this woman's books. ( )
1 vote gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
At first I couldn't get into it, but by the end I was enjoying it and it made me laugh. Kitty, a young orphan girl, has been promised her guardian's large fortune if she marries one of his grand-nephews. Turns out none of the grand-nephews really want her or the fortune (why not?), but Kitty is desperate to get out from under her guardian's tightwad thumb for a bit, so she convinces Freddy to pretend to be engaged to her so she can go spend some time with his folks in London. Freddy goes along with it because he feels sorry for her, and takes Kitty to London, where she has a wonderful time, making new friends, getting new clothes, and playing matchmaker. It was full of old time British slang that was a bit hard to decipher at first, but eventually I think I understood it enough so I wasn't totally lost. ( )
  bekkil1977 | Feb 9, 2018 |
Another fluffy regency romance era book. I keep calling these regency romances. I should probably someday figure out exactly what era that is, because some of these books may be off my a couple of decades.
Anyway, I saw the end of the book coming from a mile away (just the way I like my guilty pleasures). The main character is a super busy body who can't help but stick her nose into everyone's business. It all works out for the best in the end though.
I kind of loved that the lead male in this book wasn't the dashing, brilliant, mysterious, handsome, much sought after bachelor.
He's a bit quirky, and their love story just kind of happens without any major drama or fireworks- a lot of real love stories do.
It was fun to listen do during the many hours of cleaning I did last week. ( )
  mollypitchermary | Oct 11, 2017 |
A cotillion is a Regency dance where you change partners, and Georgette Heyer’s Cotillion is a Regency Romance where everybody twirls and faces their partners and ends up in a happy set of not-entirely predictable couples. It’s an implausible confection set in a world that never was, and it’s delightful. It’s full of banter and tiny details of taste and behaviour, and it has an ending that is surprising the first time through and beautifully played no matter how many times you’ve read it.
added by lquilter | editTor.com, Jo Walton (Mar 20, 2012)

Georgette Heyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Nash, PhyllidaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Gerald
The Saloon, like every other room in Arnside House, was large and lofty, and had been furnished, possibly some twenty years earlier, in what had then been the first style of elegance.
'Dash it, Kit!'
'My contempt is roused by the blubber-headedness that leads you into such gross error.'
"I am happy to be able to tell as many of you as I can that I have not the smallest wish to marry any of you!"
Miss Fishguard's method of entering any room in which she had reason to believe that a tête-á-tête was taking place, was first to peep round the door with an arch smile, saying: 'Do I intrude?' and then, without awaiting an answer, to trip across the floor on tiptoe, as though she feared to disturb a sick person. The habit arose partly from timidity, and partly from a resolve never to presume upon her position; and it never failed to irritate her employers.
[Kitty, chatting with Freddy's sister about her belief in Freddy's chivalrous nature.]

Yes, and a great deal more to the purpose than all the people one was taught to revere, like Sir Lancelot, and Sir Galahad, and Young Lochinvar, and -- and that kind of man! I daresay Freddy might not be a great hand at slaying dragons, but you may depend upon it none of those knight-errants would be able to rescue one from a social fix, and you must own, Meg, that one has not the smallest need of a man who can kill dragons! (chapter 16)

The three great-nephews of irascible Mr. Matthew Penicuik know better than to ignore his summons, especially when it concerns the bestowal of his fortune. The wily old gentleman has hatched a freakish plan for his Country-bred stepdaughter's future: his fortune will by lovely Catherine Charing's dowry if she married one of his great-nephews. To spirited Kitty, the conditions of her guardian's will before she could inherit a tuppence were intolerable.

In spite of the unwelcome attentions of greedy suitors, who are scrambling for her hand, Kitty is not wholly averse, but only if the right cousin proposes. Unfortunately, Kitty during her secluded life pining, has set her heart on handsome and virile Jack Westruther, a confirmed rake. Jack, who is well aware of her attachment, however, made it quite clear that he would marry her only when he had sown his last wild oat and seems to have no inclination to marry her anytime soon. But Kitty has other ideas... and anxious to hasten matters she devises a plan. Kitty convinces modest and carefree cousin Frederick Standen to pose as her fiance, hoping thereby to make Jack jealous and to see a little more of the world than her isolated life on her great-uncle's estate has afforded her.

Her plan takes her to visit Freddy's family in London, where her kith and kin embroil her in their romantic troubles, sprinkling witty banter with Parisian phrases. Cousin Lord Foster Dolphinton has fallen for a merchant's daughter in conflict with his mother. Meanwhile, her French cousin, Camille, a professional gambler, try to win the heart of beautiful Olivia Broughty, in turn the object of cousin Jack's dishonorable intentions. Resourceful cousin Freddie turned out to be more of a man than Kitty anticipated. And when Kitty's generous heart leads to all sorts of unintended troubles, there is only one man who can rescue her from more than one dreadful fix and pick up the pieces of her plotting. Now, Kitty herself wonders who is really right for her....

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,918,175 books! | Top bar: Always visible