Cotillion by Georgette Heyer

Cotillion (original 1953; edition 2007)

by Georgette Heyer

Member:_Zoe_
Title:Cotillion
Authors:Georgette Heyer
Info:
Collections:Your library, Recently Read
Tags:read, fiction, regency, romance, comedy of manners

Cotillion by Georgette Heyer (1953)

Recently added byprivate library, borbet, LyzzyBee, Nirmal_Savio_Paul, ccsinclair, blatherlikeme, terralech
    Friday's Child by Georgette Heyer (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Both books feature heroines who have lived all their lives in the country and are brought to London to be introduced into the ton, attend masquerade balls, and be spirited away by their respective unlikely knights whenever they fall unwittingly into social error. But somehow Heyer manipulates the various circumstances and events in such a way that the drama of each story is distinct, memorable, and moving.… (more)
    Sprig Muslin by Georgette Heyer (JalenV)
    JalenV: This time the young lady of quality is running away to force her grandfather to allow her to marry the man she loves. She involves the kind gentleman who meets her on the road into quite a few scrapes that are more amusing for the reader than the gentleman.

English (54)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (57)
This was a cut above the typical very cute romance. The language was spot on for the period and added a great deal of charm. Besides the usual, dashes, curst, daresay and deuce, there was bleater, just as lief, sap skull, cockatrice, and my favorite expressions, "plain as a pikestaff" and "doing it too brown!" And Heyer successfully balanced not one, but four love-crossed couples and ended the whole with a quite unexpected twist. A very satisfying Regency Romance. ( )
  Berly | Jun 14, 2014 |
Cotillion is another fun Regency adventure from the woman who brought you Frederica among other such delights. Plot-wise, this one is rather a cross between that book and Arabella. Old Mr. Penicuik has a decided that he is dying and has summoned all his great-nephews to his estate. It turns out that he wants one of them to propose to his ward, Katherine. If she accepts one he will name her his heiress, but if she doesn't marry one of them she'll be left penniless. Unfortunately, the nephew he had in mind has declined to come. This leaves Kitty in a state of panic until she runs into Freddy. The dim-witted dandy had decided to eat before coming to his uncle's and was running. She convinces him to fake an engagement, so that she can go to London. But in a world where everyone seems to have ulterior motives, just what could Kitty be up to?

Naturally once in London, she creates a series of problems for Freddy to deal with, but it turns out there's some serious brainpower behind the empty facade. Those who like Heyer will certainly enjoy this one, and it's a fairly accessible book for those just getting started with her works. ( )
  inge87 | Mar 12, 2014 |
Delightful! Definitely one of my favorite Heyers so far. I was falling in love with Freddy right along with Kitty.
  rmaitzen | Feb 7, 2014 |
I just finished reading Cotillion, by Georgette Heyer. I am not a romance reader. This is as far out of my genre I have read in a LONG time, and I picked it up on recommendation, specifically because I wanted to read more romance. It was a good read, and not at all what I expected.

I should say, I've never read a Regency romance before, but I did have some ideas in my head on what to expect. I was expecting a bodice-ripper, with lots of seduction and sex (I'd actually been asking for recommendations on good romance to read some good sex scenes, and writers who handled them well). This wasn't that. It's actually the most sexless romance I've ever read (I'll admit, that isn't out of many). I was expecting lots of detailed descriptions about clothes, and scenery, and society. It still caught me off guard when I read them. The back cover has a quote that calls it a "literary bubble bath." I think that's an accurate description.

It did take me a while to get into it. I think that's partially because I'm not used to reading this type of book, and partially because for the first half of the book, I found myself getting annoyed with almost Every. Character. In the. Book. Kitty was annoying, Freddy was annoyingly dumb, Jack was annoying (and a jerk), and pretty much anyone of any importance was annoying. Yes, I could excuse it as being realistic, but honestly, the only character who didn't annoy me was Dolph. Everyone was too busy making fun of his brains.

Around halfway through, I think I finally started to really settle into the style, and Kitty and Freddy seemed to finally be showing some spirit, and a little (if not a lot of) thought. I tore through the last half of the book in a couple of days, the last few chapters this morning. It was a good read, and I'm glad I stuck with it. If you look at the Amazon reviews, there are plenty that will tell you this is a good read. I don't know how many of those are romance readers, but here's an opinion from someone venturing out into the genre: Heyer certainly has the language and the art down, and this was a fun read. Definitely a literary bubble bath - with chocolate and champagne. I think I'd even read it again at some point - see if I'm less annoyed with the characters in the first half if I know what to expect. ( )
1 vote Magycmyste | Jan 4, 2014 |
British actress Phyllida Nash does a wonderful job voicing the many characters in this book -- one the the best of Heyer's catalogue. Highly recommended. ( )
  LadyWesley | Sep 25, 2013 |

Georgette Heyerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nash, PhyllidaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Gerald
The saloon, like every other room in Arnside House, was large and lofty, and had been furnished, possibly some twenty years earlier, in what had then been the first style of elegance.
'Dash it, Kit!'
'My contempt is roused by the blubber-headedness that leads you into such gross error.'
"I am happy to be able to tell as many of you as I can that I have not the smallest wish to marry any of you!"
Miss Fishguard's method of entering any room in which she had reason to believe that a tête-á-tête was taking place, was first to peep round the door with an arch smile, saying: 'Do I intrude?' and then, without awaiting an answer, to trip across the floor on tiptoe, as though she feared to disturb a sick person. The habit arose partly from timidity, and partly from a resolve never to presume upon her position; and it never failed to irritate her employers.
[Kitty, chatting with Freddy's sister about her belief in Freddy's chivalrous nature.]

Yes, and a great deal more to the purpose than all the people one was taught to revere, like Sir Lancelot, and Sir Galahad, and Young Lochinvar, and -- and that kind of man! I daresay Freddy might not be a great hand at slaying dragons, but you may depend upon it none of those knight-errants would be able to rescue one from a social fix, and you must own, Meg, that one has not the smallest need of a man who can kill dragons! (chapter 16)

The three great-nephews of cantankerous Mr Penicuik know better than to ignore his summons, especially when it concerns the bestowal of his fortune. The wily old gentleman has hatched a typically freakish plan for his foster daughter's future and his own amusement: his fortune will be Kitty's dowry. But while the beaux are scrambling for her hand, Kitty counters with her own inventive, if daring scheme: a sham engagement should keep wedlock at bay...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061001783, Paperback)

Young Kitty Charing stands to inherit a vast fortune from her irascible great-uncle Matthew--provided she marries one of her cousins. Kitty is not wholly adverse to the plan, if the right nephew proposes. Unfortunately, Kitty has set her heart on Jack Westruther, a confirmed rake, who seems to have no inclination to marry her anytime soon. In an effort to make Jack jealous, and to see a little more of the world than her isolated life on her great-uncle's estate has afforded her, Kitty devises a plan. She convinces yet another of her cousins, the honorable Freddy Standen, to pretend to be engaged to her. Her plan would bring her to London on a visit to Freddy's family and (hopefully) render the elusive Mr. Westruther madly jealous. Thus begins Cotillion, arguably the funniest, most charming of Georgette Heyer's many delightful Regency romances.

No sooner does Kitty arrive in London than she becomes embroiled in the romantic difficulties of several new acquaintances. Kitty's French cousin, Camille, a professional gambler, has won the heart of her new friend, Olivia--who also happens to be the object of Jack Westruther's dishonorable intentions. Meanwhile, Kitty's doltish cousin Lord Dolphinton has fallen in love with a merchant's daughter who's embattled with his mother and needs his help. Finally, there is Kitty herself, who begins to wonder if the dandified Freddy might not be the man for her after all. As in all of Georgette Heyer's books, Cotillion transcends genre--it is, quite simply, wonderful literature. Historically accurate down to the finest details of dress, deportment, and speech, Heyer was also a master at creating unforgettable, comic characters, and Kitty Charing and Freddy Standen stand out as one of her most charming romantic duos ever.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:48 -0400)

Young Kitty Charing stands to inherit a vast fortune from her irascible great-uncle Matthew--provided she marries one of her cousins. Kitty is not wholly adverse to the plan, if the right nephew proposes. Unfortunately, Kitty has set her heart on Jack Westruther, a confirmed rake, who seems to have no inclination to marry her anytime soon. In an effort to make Jack jealous, and to see a little more of the world than her isolated life on her great-uncle's estate has afforded her, Kitty devises a plan. She convinces yet another of her cousins, the honorable Freddy Standen, to pretend to be engaged to her. Her plan would bring her to London on a visit to Freddy's family and (hopefully) render the elusive Mr. Westruther madly jealous. But she didn't count on falling in love with the dandified Freddy.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Sourcebooks Casablanca

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Casablanca.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,416,231 books! | Top bar: Always visible