Palestine: Peace Not Apartheid by Jimmy…

Palestine: Peace Not Apartheid (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Jimmy Carter

Member:emrice
Title:Palestine: Peace Not Apartheid
Authors:Jimmy Carter
Info:Simon & Schuster (2007), Paperback, 288 pages
Tags:Politics

Palestine: Peace Not Apartheid by Jimmy Carter (2006)

This audio book was good. Carter has a unique perspective on the middle east turmoil as a born again Christian, a liberal politician, and the individual who almost single handedly negoited the only long lasting peace agreement between Isreal and an Arabic nation.

He begins with a very brief history of the region, from biblical times, to the safe haven from Nazi Germany, to today.

He went through all the various players, from the KJews, to the Palestienians to others throughout the world.

Unlike myself CRter gives great respect to the United Nations, but that's not enough for me to ignore all he says. The title is certainly meant to be controversial but the innerspring of the book are much more middle ofbthe road and shows how we all can work together.

But particularly foe American Christians that have been conservative PRO isreafrom the pulpit, it may be surprising to realize how many Palestienians are Christians and how the local government treats them so second class citizens.

Hamas has been listed as a terrorist organization by the United.S. Government, even though they provided social services before anything resembling a Palestienians state existed,and they've been democratically elected. It made me wonder how many other governments would label the GOP as a terrorist organization if given the chance.

While I am still a firm believer that the Holy Land needs a No State solution, Carters work provides good insight regardless of your political or religious persuasion and I recommend it in audio or dead tree format.

The book makes references to several maps, which obviously I can't do on audio, though the audio book indicates that the latter CD includes electronic resources such as a map, but I didn't bother putting it in my PC to verify. ( )
  fulner | Apr 28, 2015 |
It could have been great but came across a bit self-righteous. However, overall, President Carter should be commended for the effort all the same. ( )
  8heist | Mar 4, 2014 |
asdfasdfsadsdfa ( )
  miketopper | Apr 26, 2013 |
Former President Carter took an awful lot of flack for this book, but I did not feel that it was in any way anti-Semitic or anti-Israel. Rather, I think he tried to present the other side of the story. I think it was a brave and well-intentioned book. ( )
1 vote CandaceVan | Apr 16, 2013 |
An awful, ahistorical book by a treasonous ex-President.

Carter re-invents history to minimize the Jewish historical footprint on the Near East, with the aim of delegitimizing Israel as a Jewish state. ( )
1 vote JBGUSA | Mar 31, 2013 |
The Bible says that when the first blood was shed among His children, God asked Cain, the slayer, "Where is Abel thy brother?" And he said, "I know not. Am I my brother's keeper?" And the Lord said, "What hast thou done? The voice of thy brother's blood crieth unto me from the ground. And now art thou cursed..."
(GENESIS 4:9-11)
The blood of Abraham, God's father of the chosen, still flows in the veins of Arab, Jew, and Christian, and too much of it has been spilled in grasping for the inheritance of the revered patriarch in the Middle East. The spilled blood in the Holy Land still cries out to God—an anguished cry for peace.
—from The Blood of Abraham, by Jimmy Carter
To our first great-grandchild, Henry Lewis Carter,
with hopes that he will see peace
and justice in the Holy Land

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743285026, Hardcover)

The crowning achievement of Jimmy Carter's presidency was the Camp David Accords between Israel and Egypt, and he has continued his public and private diplomacy ever since, winning the Nobel Peace Prize in 2002 for his decades of work for peace, human rights, and international development. He has been a tireless author since then as well, writing bestselling books on his childhood, his faith, and American history and politics, but in Palestine: Peace Not Apartheid, he has returned to the Middle East and to the question of Israel's peace with its neighbors--in particular, how Israeli sovereignty and security can coexist permanently and peacefully with Palestinian nationhood.

It's a rare honor to ask questions of a former president, and we are grateful that President Carter was able to take the time in between his work with his wife, Rosalynn, for the Carter Center and Habitat for Humanity and his many writing projects to speak with us about his hopes for the region and his thoughts on the book.

A big thank you to President Carter for granting our request for an interview. An Interview with President Jimmy Carter

Q: What has been the importance of your own faith in your continued interest in peace in the Middle East?
A: As a Christian, I worship the Prince of Peace. One of my preeminent commitments has been to bring peace to the people who live in the Holy Land. I made my best efforts as president and still have this as a high priority.

Q: A common theme in your years of Middle East diplomacy has been that leaders on both sides have often been more open to discussion and change in private than in public. Do you think that's still the case?
A: Yes. This is why private and intense negotiations can be successful. More accurately, however, my premise has been that the general public (Jewish, Christian, and Muslim) are more eager for peace than their political leaders. For instance, a recent poll done by the Hebrew University in Jerusalem showed that 58% of Israelis and 81% of the Palestinians favor a comprehensive settlement similar to the Roadmap for Peace or the Saudi proposal adopted by all 23 Arab nations and recently promoted by Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice. Tragically, there have been no substantive peace talks during the past six years.

Q: How have the war in Iraq and the increased strength of Iran (and the declarations of their leaders against Israel) changed the conditions of the Israel-Palestine question?
A: Other existing or threatened conflicts in the region greatly increase the importance of Israel's having peace agreements with its neighbors, to minimize overall Arab animosity toward both Israel and the United States and reduce the threat of a broader conflict.

Q: Your use of the term "apartheid" has been a lightning rod in the response to your book. Could you explain your choice? Were you surprised by the reaction?
A: The book is about Palestine, the occupied territories, and not about Israel. Forced segregation in the West Bank and terrible oppression of the Palestinians create a situation accurately described by the word. I made it plain in the text that this abuse is not based on racism, but on the desire of a minority of Israelis to confiscate and colonize Palestinian land. This violates the basic humanitarian premises on which the nation of Israel was founded. My surprise is that most critics of the book have ignored the facts about Palestinian persecution and its proposals for future peace and resorted to personal attacks on the author. No one could visit the occupied territories and deny that the book is accurate.

Q: You write in the book that "the peace process does not have a life of its own; it is not self-sustaining." What would you recommend that the next American president do to revive it?
A: I would not want to wait two more years. It is encouraging that President George W. Bush has announced that peace in the Holy Land will be a high priority for his administration during the next two years. On her January trip to the region, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice has called for early U.S.-Israeli-Palestinian peace talks. She has recommended the 2002 offer of the Arab nations as a foundation for peace: full recognition of Israel based on a return to its internationally recognized borders. This offer is compatible with official U.S. Government policy, previous agreements approved by Israeli governments in 1978 and 1993, and with the International Quartet's "roadmap for peace." My book proposes that, through negotiated land swaps, this "green line" border be modified to permit a substantial number of Israelis settlers to remain in Palestine. With strong U.S. pressure, backed by the U.N., Russia, and the European Community, Israelis and Palestinians would have to come to the negotiating table.

1/18/2007

More to Explore

Our Endangered Values

Sharing Good Times
An Hour Before Daylight From Publishers Weekly
The term "good-faith" is almost inappropriate when applied to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, a bloody struggle interrupted every so often by negotiations that turn out to be anything but honest. Nonetheless, thirty years after his first trip to the Mideast, former President Jimmy Carter still has hope for a peaceful, comprehensive solution to the region's troubles, delivering this informed and readable chronicle as an offering to the cause. An engineer of the 1978 Camp David Accords and 2002 recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize, Carter would seem to be a perfect emissary in the Middle East, an impartial and uniting diplomatic force in a fractured land. Not entirely so. Throughout his work, Carter assigns ultimate blame to Israel, arguing that the country's leadership has routinely undermined the peace process through its obstinate, aggressive and illegal occupation of territories seized in 1967. He's decidedly less critical of Arab leaders, accepting their concern for the Palestinian cause at face value, and including their anti-Israel rhetoric as a matter of course, without much in the way of counter-argument. Carter's book provides a fine overview for those unfamiliar with the history of the conflict and lays out an internationally accepted blueprint for peace.
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:55 -0400)

"President Carter, who was able to negotiate peace between Israel and Egypt, has remained deeply involved in Middle East affairs since leaving the White House. He has stayed in touch with the major players from all sides in the conflict and has made numerous trips to the Holy Land, most recently as an observer in the Palestinian elections of 2005 and 2006." "In this book President Carter shares his intimate knowledge of the history of the Middle East and his personal experiences with the principal actors, and he addresses sensitive political issues many American officials avoid. Pulling no punches, Carter prescribes steps that must be taken for the two states to share the Holy Land without a system of apartheid or the constant fear of terrorism." "The general parameters of a long-term, two-state agreement are well known, the president writes. There will be no substantive and permanent peace for any peoples in this troubled region as long as Israel is violating key U.N. resolutions, official American policy, and the international "road map" for peace by occupying Arab lands and oppressing the Palestinians. Except for mutually agreeable negotiated modifications, Israel's official pre-1967 borders must be honored. As were all previous administrations since the founding of Israel, U.S. government leaders must be in the forefront of achieving this long-delayed goal of a just agreement that both sides can honor."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,290,491 books! | Top bar: Always visible