Saffy's Angel by Hilary McKay

Saffy's Angel (2001)

by Hilary McKay

7201413,063 (4.07)25
Recently added byBarbaraJane, private library, sherryearly, essicaanne, davidgn, pokeyminch, olschool
    The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall (foggidawn)
    Surviving the Applewhites by Stephanie S. Tolan (kaledrina)
    Indigo's Star by Hilary McKay (latinlover)
    latinlover: Saffy's Angel is the book for all people that feel alone in this world. In the end, your heart will start shining.

library currently only has first two - I'm not sure I'll like them - thus 'to-read' not 'wishlist'
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
I am a sucker for books about large, complicated, creative families that capture the everyday magic of life, and this totally hit my buttons. Although the main plot here is Saffy's story, about her search for identity and finding her place, I loved that we also got to meet her siblings and parents and friends. This was such a rich book in terms of both character and theme; I am impressed by just how much was packed into it, and so gracefully. And best of all, it left me feeling good and happy and inspired. I will definitely be reading more of the Casson family books! ( )
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |
The Casson Family and their escapades make me laugh - a lot. LH ( )
  splinfo | Apr 19, 2013 |
Quirky, charming, the kind of book you could curl up with for an entire afternoon. The introduction to Saffy and the other members of the artistic Casson family only whets the appetite for more stories. ( )
  KimJD | Apr 8, 2013 |
I love the hilarious British humor that this book has. ( )
  bridgetrwilson | Mar 27, 2013 |
When Saffron was eight, and had at last learned to read, she hunted slowly through the colour chart pinned up on the kitchen wall.
Saffy could tell by the feel of the darkness that Caddy was awake. (p. 7)

The four Casson children, whose mother, Eve, is a fine-arts painter, have all been given the names of paint colors. Cadmium (Caddy), is the eldest; then Saffron (Saffy); Indigo, the only boy; and Rose, the youngest. When Saffy discovers quite by accident that she has been adopted, she is deeply upset, though the others assure her that it makes no difference at all. Saffy is the daughter of Eve's twin sister, who lived in Siena, Italy, and died in a car crash. Grandad brought Saffy, as a very small child, back from Siena.

At Grandad's death he leaves something to each of the children. To Saffy, it is "her angel," although no one knows its identity. How Saffy discovers what her angel is, with the help of an energetic new friend, lies at the heart of this enchanting story. Unforgettable characters come alive in often deeply humorous and always absorbing events to be treasured for a long, long time.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:29 -0400)

After learning that she was adopted, thirteen-year-old Saffron's relationship with her eccentric, artistic family changes, until they help her go back to Italy where she was born to find a special momento of her past.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,864,877 books! | Top bar: Always visible