Penric's Mission by Lois McMaster Bujold

Penric has been through some big changes since the events in Penric's Fox. His studies with the shamans in Easthome completed, he returned to Martensbridge, where his medical abilities became greatly in demand. Very greatly in demand--and only for the most serious cases. The Princess-Archdivine Llewen has died, and so has his mother. In the end, it was too much loss, and he moved to Adria, first to serve the White God's archdivine there, and then to serve the Duke.

And the Duke has sent him to Cedonia, to make contact with a general who wishes to take service in Adria.

Unless, of course, the letter from the general is a forgery.

Penric finds himself plunged into danger and intrigue immediately upon disembarking in Cedonia. Hit on the head from behind, dumped in a bottle dungeon, and intended to drown, his challenges are only beginning.

Penric continues to develop as a character, and his story continues to advance, as we continue to explore more of the world of the Five Gods. This is a novella, so it's hard to say anything more without engaging in inexcusable spoilers, but in character, pace, and convincing world-building, it's good, solid Bujold storytelling.

Recommended.

I bought this book. ( )
  LisCarey | Sep 19, 2018 |
So good! I enjoyed it thoroughly. As with all Penric novellas, my only complaint is I wish it was a full length novel. ( )
  gabarito | May 13, 2018 |
Lois McMaster Bujold is probably my favorite author. "Penric's Mission" is a fun novella continuing the story of Learned Penric and his daemon Desdemona. Penric goes on a secret mission but is betrayed and thrown in prison. He is also thrown into the warm and ample bosom of young widow Nikys Khatai who is intent on rescuing her brother disgraced General Arisaydia.

As always Ms Bujold's writing skills deliver an amusing and believable story.

I received a review copy of "Penric's Mission" by Lois McMaster Bujold (Subterranean) through NetGalley.com. ( )
  Dokfintong | Dec 5, 2017 |
Just have to love Penric and his crew!

Well that sucks! I was so drawn in to Penric and his happenings that before I knew it I was on the last page. The ending was far too abrupt. I need, indeed must get hold of what happens next!!
Note: I read the sequel (Mira's Last Dance) and am now much happier
Anyway in Mission, Penric enters into a secret diplomatic mission for the Duke of Adri that ends in unmitigated disaster with Penric imprisoned and the future looking grim. Desdemona as usual has a few pithy words to say! A well constructed world that opens up new vistas, with a fitting sense of humor and occasion.
Penric is altogether one of my favorite characters, and here his story just keeps on giving!

A NetGalley ARC ( )
  eyes.2c | Dec 4, 2017 |
Penric’s Mission is my favourite of these Penric novellas. Penric arrives in Cedonia with a message for General Arisaydia (I had to look up how to spell his name because, audiobook). Before Pen can deliver it, he is arrested and thrown into a bottle dungeon.
Meanwhile Arisaydia has been also arrested, albeit under rather different conditions to Pen, and Nikys, his widowed sister, tries to rescue him.

This is a gripping, high-stakes adventure with excellent character dynamics. I was initially surprised by how much time has passed between this book and Penric and the Shaman, but then really liked how this story fills in some of the gaps.

I would have listened this one twice if I hadn't had the next book waiting for me. (And then the audiobook was due back at the library, so I ended up buying the ebook.) ( )
  Herenya | Nov 18, 2017 |

Lois McMaster Bujoldprimary authorall editionscalculated
Saint-Onge, LaurenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Learned Penric, a sorcerer and divine of the Bastard’s Order, travels across the sea to sunlit Cedonia on his first covert diplomatic mission, to attempt to secure the services of a disaffected Cedonian general for the Duke of Adria. However, nothing is as it seems: Penric is betrayed and thrown into a dungeon, and worse follows for the general and his kin. Penric’s narrow escapes and adventures — including his interest in a young widow — are told with Bujold’s remarkable energy, wit and humor. Once again, Bujold has created unforgettable characters and a wondrous, often dangerous world of intrigue and sorcery. Third novella in the Penric and Desdemona series.

Sorcerer Penric, who is possessed by a clever chaos demon named Desdemona, has his clandestine mission of diplomacy to Cedonia upended when he finds himself gravely injured and imprisoned in the darkest of dungeons.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,423,441 books! | Top bar: Always visible