dismiss

Shattered Warrior by Sharon Shinn

Shattered Warrior (edition 2017)

by Sharon Shinn (Author), Molly Knox Ostertag (Illustrator)

It is ten years after Colleen Cavanaugh's home world was invaded by the Derichets, a tyrannical alien race bent on exploiting the planet's mineral resources. Most of her family died in the war, and she now lives alone in the city. Aside from her acquaintances at the factory where she toils for the Derichets, Colleen makes a single friend in Jann, a member of the violent group of rebels known as the Chromatti. One day Colleen receives shocking news: her niece Lucy is alive and in need of her help. Together, Colleen, Jann, and Lucy create their own tenuous family. But Colleen must decide if it's worth risking all of their survival to join a growing underground revolution against the Derichets.… (more)
Member:Shareuv
Title:Shattered Warrior
Authors:Sharon Shinn (Author)
Other authors:Molly Knox Ostertag (Illustrator)
Info:First Second (2017), 256 pages

Shattered Warrior by Sharon Shinn

Good teen YA dystopia in graphic novel form. Some interesting world building, fascinating details of the rebellion, a great range of interesting characters, and satisfying endings to both the A and B plots. Aspects of the alien race in control didn't sit right, and there were sections that were a bit slow. ( )
  fred_mouse | Jun 28, 2020 |
Not a bad story, but way too generic to stand out in a crowded field. I'd say this was aimed at the middle-school or YA audiences, but wonder how an unnecessary depiction of a nude breast late in the book will effect its reception there. ( )
  villemezbrown | Jul 28, 2018 |
A grim tale of oppression by off-worlders, and the fight for freedom. It looks like this is the first in a series? Not too sure, but the ending led me to believe that there was more to come.

Very nice story-telling, but a bit too dark and violent for my tastes. The drama and the revenge and the seething, insanity-driven indignation! I think this would be enjoyed by many people.

**eARC Netgalley**
  Critterbee | Apr 16, 2018 |
I have a positive reaction to Ostertag’s graphics no matter what; Shinn adds a relatively standard but still powerful story, with a lot of wordless panels showing how daily life works to grind a person down and build her back up. In short: humans oppressed by humanoid overlords on a distant planet try to survive. Some fight back; some just try to go along; some fight each other. The protagonist, the last survivor of a once-powerful family, lives in her falling-down mansion—until unexpected visitors challenge her expectations and give her new reasons to do more than exist. Attempted and implied sexual assaults, but what’s shown are bruises (and a few explosions). ( )
  rivkat | Dec 31, 2017 |
I’ve read most of Shinn’s books but I’ve been lukewarm about her science-fiction and I’m not really a graphic novel person so I wasn’t excited about this until I saw the artwork for the opening pages.
Then I had to read it.

Shattered Warrior is set on a planet that has been invaded by aliens who care little for the human population. There’s a post-apocalyptic vibe to the way society and infrastructure has crumbled: failing farmland, gangs roaming the city streets, people sent to the mines are never seen again.

Colleen’s family are all dead or missing. She lives alone in what’s left of the family estate, works in a Derichet-controlled factory, and has convinced herself that she’s better off not caring about anyone. And then she’s reunited with her seven year old niece.

I loved the worldbuilding, how expressive everyone’s faces are and how much the story relies on the pictures to convey information. I loved reading it again and picking up the visual details that I hadn’t noticed first time round! There are a couple of aspects that I suspect would have been explored more in a prose-novel (such as why one character holds to pre-invasion ideas of class in the way he does) but this doesn’t really matter, because the focus is on Colleen and her journey is captured is well. I really liked the balance between action and emotion. The story is as much, if not more, about the personal choices and connections Colleen makes as it is about the ways she physically rebels against the Derichets.

I also appreciated the way the story handles some of the darker aspects of this world - they’re not ignored but neither are they allowed to dominate. This is a story about hope.

I would love a sequel, preferably a companion story focusing on someone else, but it doesn’t sound like anything like that is planned at this stage and that is okay. ( )
  Herenya | Nov 27, 2017 |

Sharon Shinnprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ostertag, Molly KnoxIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,931,445 books! | Top bar: Always visible