Come Sundown by Nora Roberts

Come Sundown (edition 2017)

by Nora Roberts (Author)

MY RATING ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️▫️
PUBLISHER Billliance Audio
PUBLISHED May 30, 2017
NARRATED Elizabeth Rodgers

A gripping mystery about family, strength and love that will have you flipping pages until late into the night.

SUMMARY

The Bodine Ranch and Resort in western Montana is a family business and home to a family of four generations. The resort is kept running by Bodine Longbow with the help of her family and a large staff, including her brother’s childhood friend and new hire Callen Skinner. There use to be another member of the family, Bodine’s Aunt Alice, but she ran off to California in 1991, long before Bodine was even born, and she has never returned. The Bodines haven't heard from her in years and they don't talk much about her.

Now women are being murdered in the area surrounding the ranch. The first is a beloved bartender from the resort. Her battered body is found in the snow by Bodine and Callen after seeing her car on the side of a wooded road. It's the first time they have ever felt danger lurking in the mountains that surround the ranch. The police suspect Callen, but Bodine knows better, and then another woman is found murdered. The Bodines and Longbows families are stunned by the murders, and the accusations that Callen might be involved. The close knit family works together to find out who might be responsible. Bodine is in the middle of it all!

REVIEW
The Bodine Ranch and Resort sounds like a fun place to go, and the resort’s business is booming. Bodine is a organized, business woman who is always in charge. She has an agenda and a list going from the minute her stylish boots hit the floor in the morning. She’s recently hired a few new employees to help lighten her load. I really love Bodine’s take charge character. Her connection with Callen’s horse wrangling character is pretty sweet as well, but I think Sundown, Callen’s horse really steals the show in terms of character development. He’s got moves and you got to love a horse who knows how to communicate!

The mystery is a good one and moves along fast with several twists and turns. There are a few romances blossoming, but the intrigue about the murdered women and whatever might have happen to Aunt Alice soon becomes a pivotal part of the story.

The essence of COME SUNDOWN all boils down to the importance of family and home. The bonds with family: mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, grandparents aunts and uncles are forever. Even though your family may irritate you, you still love them. And sometime you just need the strength to go home. Love the symbolic use of the sunsets signifying new beginnings.

I listened to the Audible version of this book and loved the narrator, Elizabeth Rodgers. She did an excellent job with varying all the voices for the numerous characters, both young and old, and male and female. Very distinctive for each and very enjoyable.

Sometimes you just need a NORA ROBERTS book, even when you don't know that you want one! This was one of those times! Saw this book come out and thought why not! Glad I read it., it was like coming home again, since I haven't read one of hers in a couple of years. It contained a few of my must haves for a good book. Strong female characters, interesting setting, and a multilayered plot. A little romance is nice as well! Thanks NORA ROBERTS for the great book. ( )
  LisaSHarvey | Aug 18, 2017 |
In the effort of full disclosure, there has never been a Nora Roberts novel that I have not enjoyed. Some I enjoy more than others, but she is my go-to author when I need a pick-me-up. I love how she portrays relationships and life. Plus, even though every one of her characters is gorgeous, she keeps them real with moodiness, monetary woes, and the like. Adding to that, her novels always keep me engaged.

With that out of the way, you now know I am not going to find much fault with her latest novel. While it is not an example of her best writing, it still manages to hit all the right notes – for me. The Bodine family is fun, and the camaraderie of the employees on the ranch makes me downright envious for a better work environment. The mystery was not so much of a mystery, but Ms. Roberts does an excellent job showing the seriousness of the tragedy that befalls Alice and its repercussions. While there is the requisite happily-ever-after, it is still within the realm of possibility given everything the family experiences. Also, you can never go wrong with one of Ms. Roberts’ heroines. They kick ass, take names and are always highly independent. Bodine is a great example of someone with a solid sense of family, responsibility, and relationships.

Does Come Sundown have its flaws? Yes, it does, but as I said earlier, Ms. Roberts’ novels are the only novels for which I can ignore them and forgive the author any transgressions. I found the Bodine family to be too much fun to pass criticism, and I love how she handled Alice’s character. For me, I was engaged and entertained, which is exactly what I have come to love about Nora Roberts’ novels.
  jmchshannon | Aug 8, 2017 |
Hmmm, this is a tough one. I love Ms. Roberts' writing. I've been reading her almost since her very beginning, and she's never disappointed me. Until now.

Don't get me wrong; this book is good. You'll be immersed in an interesting family, and plot. It's just not a great book.

First off, it's bloated. At 430+ pages, it's too long for the plotline. Second, it's too long because you have two secondary romances besides the main one going on (they would have made wonderful subsequent books in a series), plus you have a mystery to solve. Whew! That's a lot in one book.

Third, there were a lot of characters and names to keep track of thrown at the reader right from the beginning. Some of them began with the same letter, and some were repeat names. Sheesh! There are a lot of names out there in the world, and 26 letters in the alphabet ; do we really have to have them so similar?

And, there's a personal irritant. Ms. Roberts always writes strong female characters, and I like that. She offsets them with equally strong, caring men. As usual, her female lead, Bodine, was strong and independent. Great. But when she's proposed to at one point, she argues about being independent and doing her own thing. Seriously? If you love the guy and he loves you, he already knows that about you! It sounded childish and not in keeping with the Bodine I'd gotten to know through the story. I'm all for feminism; but keep your characters in character!

Also, what's with the head-hopping in the middle of scenes? First, I'm reading from Bodine's pov, and then, without warning, I'm hearing Callen's, or Chase's thoughts. What? I thought that was a big no-no in writing, because it confuses readers. At some points it certainly jarred me.

Lastly, I guessed the villain! In normal books I usually can anyway, but Ms. Roberts often surprises me. Not this time. I saw it coming, and was right. So now, I read 430+ pages, kept all these names straight in my head after doing mental exercises, and then I up and guess the bad guy. What a let down.

I won this book in a publisher's contest. I'm glad I didn't pay for it. I gave it 4 stars really because, whether it was a bloated mess or not, her writing is poetry. She doesn't disappoint with her descriptions and dialogue. Just know it's not up to her usual standards. ( )
  cathyskendrovich | Jul 31, 2017 |
This was my first and most likely last Nora Roberts book. I was not impressed and it was so formulaic that you could see the twist and the ending a mile away. Some might try to classify this as romantic suspense, but the suspense is so minimal I don't even want it included. It's nearly 500 pages of romantic fluff, cliches, cowboys, ranch life, independent women, kidnapping, and family secrets. It goes back and forth in time to show the disappearance of a girl in the early nineties, the mind of a deranged kidnapper and rapist, and the modern day life of the manager of a huge family ranch and resort. It's nothing to write home about. ( )
  ecataldi | Jul 25, 2017 |
Bodine Longbow is the manager of her family's resort in Western Montana, she has a lot to do and not enough time to do it. Into her life comes her childhood crush Callen Skinner, now grown up and wanting to settle down again.
However, coincidentally with his arrival back, a young woman's body is found.
Bodine's family remember another missing woman, Alice, Bodine's aunt. Her tale is told as a secondary plot. It's full of pain.
Damn you Smart Bitches, having recently listened to a podcast about the In Death series I noticed the dearth of non-white characters... Still the story was good. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jul 17, 2017 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,771,208 books! | Top bar: Always visible