Of Jenny and the Aliens by Ryan Gebhart

Of Jenny and the Aliens

by Ryan Gebhart

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
My problem with this wasn't the crude humor or the mentions of sex - it was more the fact that I just didn't really know what was going on. Of Jenny and the Aliens has a really fun and quirky writing style, which made the book fly by super quickly, but overall I could have done without the narrator's odd obsession over a girl he had only known for a few days. I really liked the alien aspect of this book actually - but all the side characters, especially the best friend and Jenny herself - made me remember that humanity really, really, really sucked. ( )
  CatherineHsu | Sep 24, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is essentially "another teenage movie"-- except with aliens. It revolves around the character of a nerdish teenager boy who in the efforts of losing his virginity ends up falling for a girl who doesn't in every instance reciprocate his feelings.

"Of Jenny and the Aliens" could have worked under several circumstances. The context was interesting to me. The author made sure to make lots of pop culture references. And I liked the mention of the displacement and depression of the main character who is originally from Texas and moved to Ohio. Of course, the aliens were an interesting add to the mix.

Yet the story revolved around some kid's infatuation with one girl and both of their stories together was disinteresting and horribly cliche. To be fair, the story was interesting to follow for a time, but the idea that a kid is willing to disrupt the world for a girl who expressed several times over that she was not completely committed, is absurd.

And the resolution provided no resolves. The character wasn't really dynamic. He was only forced to address recurring issues in his life.

Also: the conception of lightyears in this book was wildly inaccurate. ( )
  ennedroC | Sep 3, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I'm sure this book works for some people, but I'm not that person. I found the humor crude, the relationships between the characters superficial, and the main character's obsession with Jenny off-putting. It's another book that teaches boys to put girls on a pedestal, then to blame them when she can't live up to their impossible, hormone-fueled ideal.
1 vote emmaclare | Sep 2, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I haven't felt so strongly about a book in a long time, but I truly despised this teen book. The writing style wasn't bad and there was some decent humor but overall the plot and the characters were horrible! Derek, a dorky, but still slightly popular teenager goes to a house party the night the world finds out aliens exist. Everyone is more carefree and open and scared, so he finds himself talking to Jenny (who is walking around the party topless) and later in the evening he loses his virginity to her. He becomes OBSESSED with Jenny over night and she is all he can think about. Even when he runs into an alien and talks with it, it's still not as cool as Jenny. When things inevitably begin to go south with this uber horny, slightly stalkerish teen he tries to ask his new alien friend for help. Because he doesn't care about the big war going on, he just wants some more action from Jenny. Like for real?!?! That's what you would ask an alien for help with? Filled with horny teens, loads of underage drinking, weed usage, and overall asshole kids, this teen novel is hard pass. I'm not even a prude but the conclusion of the novel advocated for open relationships. Soo that's cool... Seriously, the worst. ( )
  ecataldi | Aug 30, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I like YA fiction, and found this book very hard to get into. The author is trying very hard to get you into the mind of the average teenage boy (which I was one) and how you would do anything for love. However, his love isn't reciprocated. He is willing to risk intergalactic war for a girl that doesn't seem to care either way. I enjoyed reading the book but found the character development toward the end lacking. And the Alien issues never seem to play out quite how the author had intended at the beginning. ( )
  JacobDecker | Aug 29, 2017 |

When boy meets girl meets alien, the angst of first love gets an extraterrestrial intervention in a tale both outrageously funny and full of heart.

Ten years after Earth sent messages out into deep space, there has been an answer. Music from distant planet Pud 5 has reached the world’s radios. Are aliens about to invade? No one knows, and almost-eighteen-year-old Derek doesn’t really care, because at a wild end-of-the-world party, Jennifer Novak invited him to play beer pong, and things, well, progressed from there. Derek is in love. Deeply, hopelessly in love. He wants it all — marriage, kids, growing old on a beach in Costa Rica. For him, Jenny is the One. But Jenny has other plans, which may or may not include Derek. So Derek will try anything to win her — even soliciting advice from an alien who shows up in his hometown. This alien may just be the answer to Derek’s problem, but is Derek prepared to risk starting an intergalactic war to get his girl? Just how far is he willing to travel to discover the mysteries of the universe — and the enigma of love?

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 06 Nov 2016 00:49:50 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Ryan Gebhart's book Of Jenny and the Aliens is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,648,550 books! | Top bar: Always visible