Down Among the Sticks and Bones

by Seanan McGuire

Series: Wayward Children (2)

Twin sisters Jack and Jill were seventeen when they found their way home and were packed off to Eleanor West's Home for Wayward Children ... Jacqueline was her mother's perfect daughter--polite and quiet, always dressed as a princess. If her mother was sometimes a little strict, it's because crafting the perfect daughter takes discipline. Jillian was her father's perfect daughter--adventurous, thrill-seeking, and a bit of a tom-boy. He really would have preferred a son, but you work with what you've got. They were five when they learned that grown-ups can't be trusted. They were twelve when they walked down the impossible staircase and discovered that the pretense of love can never be enough to prepare you a life filled with magic in a land filled with mad scientists and death and choices.… (more)

Down Among the Sticks and Bones
(Wayward Children #2)
by Seanan McGuire

This book follows the lives of twins Jacqueline and Jillian, Jack and Jill from book one. Reading book one I thought they were effected by the people/creatures that influenced them during their time in the other world they found beyond the special door. This shows that it was only partly true.

The girls had opened a door to a world where a vampire was Lord over the whole village. He also had a Doctor in his service. A scientist. One girl would be with each. That is where they lived and learned for years.

There was an incident that caused the girls to be banished. The Doctor opened a doorway so they could escape but gave Jack conditions in which she could return.

The story was mesmerizing! I couldn't put it down! So rich in character development and world building! On to the next book! ( )
  MontzaleeW | May 4, 2021 |
Understanding Jack & Jill's lives answers questions I had about them in book 1. Again, so beautifully written, and you can read how much the author loves those characters. ( )
  iamcmims | Apr 4, 2021 |
I really enjoyed this very dark and twisted little novella. I liked Jack and Jill in the first book, and I'm glad to know a bit more about how they became the people they became. ( )
  duchessjlh | Mar 25, 2021 |
A fascinating bit of nifty. ( )
  wetdryvac | Mar 2, 2021 |
Jack & Jill + Chronicles of Narnia + Seanan McGuire

Sorry, there were other combos, but I don’t want to spoil anything for y’all!

Jacqueline and Jillian never got a choice in who they would be. Their parents saw to it that one was a pretty princess and the other would be a tomboy to make up for the shame of not having a boy AND a girl. When they find a staircase in their grandmother’s trunk, they have an opportunity to choose for the first time in their lives. To choose their master and to choose each other.

Again, adored this and will be buying the third to read next month. While Jack & Jill were primary characters in Every Heart a Doorway, we get the whole heart-breaking story here. I have seen in other reviews that this book should be first and EHaD second, but I humbly disagree. If that were the case, there would me no shocking twist in EHaD. Just a gorgeous story. I was at first disconcerted that we weren’t in the school, but Seanan made me forget that very quickly. Besides the breathtaking character and world building, she has a language that can’t be replicated.

Buy this for yourself and everyone you know, twisted or not! ( )
  punkypower | Jan 10, 2021 |

Seanan McGuireprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cai, RovinaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

I think the rules were different there. It was all about science, but the science was magical. It didn't care about whether something could be done. It was about whether it should be done, and the answer was always, always yes.
People who knew Chester and Serena Wolcott socially would have placed money on the idea that the couple would never choose to have children.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,643,422 books! | Top bar: Always visible