dismiss

Down Among the Sticks and Bones by Seanan…

Down Among the Sticks and Bones

by Seanan McGuire

Series: Wayward Children (2)

Twin sisters Jack and Jill were seventeen when they found their way home and were packed off to Eleanor West's Home for Wayward Children ... Jacqueline was her mother's perfect daughter--polite and quiet, always dressed as a princess. If her mother was sometimes a little strict, it's because crafting the perfect daughter takes discipline. Jillian was her father's perfect daughter--adventurous, thrill-seeking, and a bit of a tom-boy. He really would have preferred a son, but you work with what you've got. They were five when they learned that grown-ups can't be trusted. They were twelve when they walked down the impossible staircase and discovered that the pretense of love can never be enough to prepare you a life filled with magic in a land filled with mad scientists and death and choices.… (more)

I don't like creepy stuff but apparently I like murder mysteries even less - I enjoyed this more than the first book for sure (even though it's been over a year since I read it). Jack and especially Jill make a lot more sense now. ( )
  j_tuffi | May 30, 2020 |
I loved everything about **Down Among the Sticks and Bones** by *Seanan McGuire*. I think I might like it even better than the first volume, and knowing about the future makes the book even better – I bet it works without the added layer, too, though. Seanan shows a lot of empathy for the two very different protagonists, and the language is both relateable and lyrical. The cruel, cruel fairytale world, that still fits the children better than the cruelly boring and narrow-minded reality we live in, hits very close to home. ( )
  _rixx_ | May 24, 2020 |
Oof.

So, while I loved Every Heart a Doorway, this one was a letdown. After Book 1, I wanted to explore more of the Home, more of Kade and his studying how to map out these worlds, I just wanted more, and instead what I got was this.

It's not that I don't like Jack and Jill. I did really like them, especially Jack with whom I find myself identifying probably because of my background in the sciences, but I didn't really feel like this book was really... necessary? I don't think that I learned anything especially important about either of the girls that we didn't already know from the previous book in the series.

And I didn't find many of the characters all that believable. Their parents, especially their mother, read like caricatures. I understand it's supposed to read like a fairytale, but I was just hoping for something with a little more depth overall and I think their mother is the most egregiously shallow part of the whole thing.

The Moors isn't a bad setting for a book, but it did almost feel like a downgrade compared to the Home where we have lots of interesting characters running around. Here we have a couple of interesting players, mainly Jack and Dr. Bleak. I didn't actually care for the Master, I thought he was kind of a boring villain tbh.

I think this would have been better if it had followed the girls into the Moors after the events of Every Heart a Doorway, since it insists on throwing away most of the interesting characters from the first book. (Seriously, someone please tell me Kade comes back eventually.)

I will continue the series, only because seeing other reviews of some of the later books gives me hope that I will like them as much as Book 1, but honestly? This one straight up didn't need to exist. ( )
  yvonnekins | May 18, 2020 |
I really enjoyed this story, partly because I always wanted more backstory for Jack and Jill, and partly because of the way it's told. It's somewhere between a novel and a fairy tale, somewhere between magical and cautionary. The storytelling style here is as worth reading as the story itself. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | May 18, 2020 |
I wasn’t going to listen to this audiobook, but when I went to check it’s description out at the library, I noticed that this audiobook was narrated by the author, Seanan McGuire. And since I was very busy with dinner dishes and cleaning up, I thought I’d just listen to the the audiobook for something to listen to, for like ten minutes or so, just to hear what the author sounded like.

Well next thing you know, I’m halfway through the audiobook, because it’s also quite short, just like the first novel of this series. And I figure if it gets too boring I’ll just quit and dnf the novel.
It didn’t get boring, per se...... I mean it was interesting enough to keep listening while I lied down on a heating pad for my back, and relaxed. But it isn’t something I’m going to shout about on the rooftop. It was just.... ok. Kind of interesting in some places. No repetition in certain words, thank the gods, but I could again see what was coming a mile away. And instead of enjoying this, or hating it, I just felt.... meh.
I like these characters much more than most of the others, actually. It was pretty cool to hear about their backstory like this. But idk if I care enough to find out what’s going on next with the entire series or not. And actually this time, I mean it. I’m returning the third novel in the series as soon as I return this one. (Happy day for someone at my local library...!)

3 stars, and not really recommended. ( )
  stephanie_M | Apr 30, 2020 |

Seanan McGuireprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cai, RovinaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I think the rules were different there. It was all about science, but the science was magical. It didn't care about whether something could be done. It was about whether it should be done, and the answer was always, always yes.
People who knew Chester and Serena Wolcott socially would have placed money on the idea that the couple would never choose to have children.

Twin sisters Jack and Jill were seventeen when they found their way home and were packed off to Eleanor West’s Home for Wayward Children.

This is the story of what happened first…

Jacqueline was her mother’s perfect daughter—polite and quiet, always dressed as a princess. If her mother was sometimes a little strict, it’s because crafting the perfect daughter takes discipline.

Jillian was her father’s perfect daughter—adventurous, thrill-seeking, and a bit of a tom-boy. He really would have preferred a son, but you work with what you've got.

They were five when they learned that grown-ups can’t be trusted.

At the Publisher's request, this title is being sold without Digital Rights Management Software (DRM) applied.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,491,089 books! | Top bar: Always visible