Laura's Luck by Marilyn Sachs

Laura's Luck (original 1965; edition 2001)

by Marilyn Sachs

Member:sarahbird
Title:Laura's Luck
Authors:Marilyn Sachs
Info:iUniverse (2001), Paperback, 224 pages

Laura's Luck by Marilyn Sachs (1965)

Laura is a couple weeks shy of turning twelve, and is headed for camp for the first time due to a family crisis. Despite her unhappiness Laura is determined to be a "good sport" but the situation deteriorates until she winds up in the infirmary. Why can't she just enjoy her vacation like her younger sister Amy is doing?

Well done story by an author whose other works I thoroughly enjoy, and this one is not an exception. Like Beverly Cleary, Marilyn Sachs has truly captured childhood and pre-teen angst without subjecting us to all the whining found in other works of this genre. ( )
  fuzzi | Mar 1, 2018 |
One of my favorite books about the "camping experience" ( )
  WonderlandGrrl | Jan 29, 2016 |
Perhaps the quintessential summer camp story, if a little mired in period (John Garfield!). I never went to camp, but I'm fairly certain that if I had, I'd have been a lot like Laura. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
To my sister, Jeannie
When the bus pulled away, Daddy ran alongside of it, calling, "Good-by, good-by... don't forget to write."

In the second of three books about a poor family living in the Bronx in the 1940s, Laura, the older sister, has to cope with the pleasures and pains of going off to camp.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:44 -0400)

Laura knows camp is not for her, but meets someone who makes it fun.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,000,454 books! | Top bar: Always visible