Blood Lines by Angela Marsons

Blood Lines

by Angela Marsons

Blood Lines is book 5 in the D.I. Kim Stone series and is another gripping thriller from the Queen of crime Angela Marsons.

Psychiatrist Alex Thorne is back and still managing to wreak havoc on Kim’s life even while locked inside a prison.

Kim and her team are investigating two similar murders that seem to have no connection other than the way they were murdered, all the while battling her own unresolved issues.

This instalment delves further into Kim’s heartbreaking past and gives the reader real insight into the person she is and what motivates her.

The police procedurals are very well done and as they dig for small clues and links in each case we are thrown some surprising twists.

Multiple storylines are weaved throughout the novel coming together for a suspenseful and shocking finale.

Marsons has definitely secured her spot among the top authors in the crime/thriller genre. Her books have become an automatic ‘must read’ for me.

I received an ERC from the publisher via Netgalley. ( )
  Ronnie293 | Jul 8, 2017 |
The last book in the series, Play Dead, was fabulous, a truly thrilling an engrossing book. This one did I have a harder time with. For one thing, did it take some days with me reading around 20% every time, not really getting into the story, but still liking the characters enough to wanting to read the book.

But, I do think the biggest issue is that the return of Dr. Alex Thorne just didn't do the trick for me, sure she was an interesting character in Evil Games (book 2), but I found the vendetta against Kim to be a tad annoying. That said, the story was not bad, the case with the murders that Kim and her colleagues tried to solve was baffling and as the book progressed even the storyline with Alex Thorne got better. Then, we have the last part of the book, that's when the book truly became engrossing and thrilling to read, and thanks to that the rating of the book went from an OK 3-star book to a really good 4-star book instead and now I'm craving book 6!

Blood Lines started off slow for me, grew better as the story progressed and ended on a high note. I quite like this series, Detective Kim Stone has become a favorite character of mine, a woman that has overcome a miserable childhood and have some issues (quite a lot to be honest), but she's a tough cookie!

On a side note; I did miss Daniel Bate. I hope to see him in a coming book!

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Apr 14, 2017 |
Wow - what a winner! A book which starts off at a gallop and doesn't ease off the whole way through - if you want a slow burner, then choose something else. DCI Kim Stone has her hands full this time what with a series of apparently unconnected murders and the return of her nemesis, Alexandra Thorne, who is truly a thorn in Kim's side. What a thrill of a ride as the team work out what is happening and by who. I didn't want the novel to end as it was so enjoyable - really gripping and certainly entertaining. Loved it and this is one series which gets better with each succeeding book - more please!! ( )
  boudicca123 | Jan 13, 2017 |
This is one of those books that gets you in right from the beginning, but I think I also need to say that the reader will be more engaged if you have read the earlier titles in the series (in order). There are also plot strands that continue from earlier novels (the Alex Thorne one, and Kim's mother). I wasn't conscious of a lot of repetition of material from earlier novels, other than re-affirmation of what I already knew. The canvas of the five novels is very detailed and rich.

This is a police procedural, and the nature of police work, the intuition and inspiration that sometimes cracks cases, the tedium of working through endless lists, following up phone calls without result, the rivalry among members of the investigative team, the frustration of being assigned the most pedestrian jobs, are all well explored. They all bring DI Kim Stone and her team alive. Emphasised too in Kim's own character is the fact that no one works in a vaccuum - Kim is in constant danger of being derailed.

Excellent reading.
  smik | Dec 29, 2016 |
A special thank you to Bookouture and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Angela Marsons continues with her popular DI Kim Stone series with her fifth installment, BLOOD LINES —emotional filled; motivations behind a crime, its driving forces, and the continuation of the intense journey between Stone and the return of her nemesis, Dr. Alexandra Thorne.

Opening Prologue: Drake Hall Prison, Present Day. Dr. Alexandra Thorne and her cellmate Cassie. Alex blamed many for her life. She resented the fact no one had seen her value in her experiments. Given more time she would have been able to add a significant finding to the mental health community.

A special fascination with DI Stone. She begins writing to Kimmy.

The manipulative evil sociopath we met in [book:Evil Games|25067570] returns! Kim had survived one battle with the evil Alex, and she was by no means sure she was capable, of doing it again.

Drake Hall provided accommodations for female munitions workers during WWII, then in the 1970s a male prison, and a female prison in the mid-seventies. In March of 2009, it has been designated from semi-open to closed. A pretty, relaxed environment. 345 inmates among the 15 houses.

Alex is controlling even behind bars. She was born without the ability to feel remorse. She could commit any act and feel no guilt. No form of attachment to another living thing. She had selected various patients to partake in her experiments, and they remained blissfully unaware.

Ruth Willis was her first. She had already taken DI Kim Stone to the edge of sanity once, and she was sure she could do it again. This time she knew which buttons to press and how hard. This time she would make no mistakes! Alex had a way of reeling you in. From her beauty and charm. Ruth had begun to study psychology and manipulation in an effort to learn more about her own weakness and vulnerabilities. She still longed for those days back, even though she knew how evil Alex was.

Kim has to face down her past and at the same time, a web of lies and danger, while putting the pieces of the investigation together. From twists and turns, Kim is front and center.

Thank you, Angela, for continuing this journey with Kim and Alex, showing brilliantly the power of a true sociopath even when confined. Even from prison, Alex manages to affect the lives and control those around her and to filter over to Kim once again.

Also, fans will enjoy the relationship with Kim and her mother (MENTAL) In this jammed-packed action suspense thriller. What a relationship! (Chilling and dark secrets). Also fun catching up with our favorite characters.

Cleverly written with a perfect mix of humor, psychological, suspense, and crime thriller--Marsons' continues to keep her fans enthralled with this ongoing exciting series! Looking forward to the next adventurous journey.

In addition to the reading copy, also listened to the audiobook narrated by Jan Cramer.

JDCMustReadBooks ( )
  JudithDCollins | Nov 30, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,534,190 books! | Top bar: Always visible