The Art of Discarding: How to Get Rid of…

The Art of Discarding: How to Get Rid of Clutter and Find Joy (original 2005; edition 2017)

by Nagisa Tatsumi (Author)

Practical and inspiring, The Art of Discarding (the book that originally inspired a young Marie Kondo to start cleaning up her closets) offers hands-on advice and easy-to-follow guidelines to help readers learn how to finally let go of stuff that is holding them back--as well as sage advice on acquiring less in the first place. Author Nagisa Tatsumi urges us to reflect on our attitude to possessing things and to have the courage and conviction to get rid of all the stuff we really don't need, offering advice on how to tackle the things that pile up at home and take back control. By learning the art of discarding you will gain space, free yourself from "accumulation syndrome," and find new joy and purpose in your clutter-free life.--Provided by Amazon.com.… (more)
Member:jamesshelley
Title:The Art of Discarding: How to Get Rid of Clutter and Find Joy
Authors:Nagisa Tatsumi (Author)
Info:Hachette Books (2017), 176 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

The Art of Discarding: How to Get Rid of Clutter and Find Joy by Nagisa Tatsumi (2005)

English (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (3)
Quite an interesting read, focussing on the fact that hoarding unwanted stuff is not a good thing. It ties into many thought processes - the 'sin' of waste, the idea it 'might come in one day', guilt over dumping gifts ...and sheer laziness (easier to stuff that object back in a cupboard and shut door on it!) Left me with a general sense of determination to cut back on clutter... ( )
  starbox | Nov 28, 2019 |
I borrowed this book from my local library because it was mentioned as one of the inspirations for Marie Kondo's book/philosophy and I was curious to see if it would be the same, and if I would find it more or less annoying than Kondo.

Occasionally the author's condescension caused some eye rolling, but less so than the Kondo book.

A bit dated (references floppy disks, among other things) but the overall concepts are timeless.

The author is Japanese, and while it's mostly universal there were a few things which confused me as a Western reader (for example, what are "twenty-four hour baths" and why did people get them from gas companies?).

Everyone will recognize something useful for themselves in at least one of the Ten Attitudes. Even if you disagree with the author's conclusion about it, having it laid out will help you understand why.

The second half of the book, the Ten Strategies, seemed less useful and largely redundant.

Favorite quote:

"Letting stuff pile up will only cause trouble in the end. Be brave and get rid of it."
  JillianJ | Jun 19, 2017 |

Nagisa Tatsumiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Turvill, AngusTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Throwing stuff out; it's a fundamental issue.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,657,479 books! | Top bar: Always visible