Long Black Veil: A Novel by Jennifer Finney…

Long Black Veil: A Novel

by Jennifer Finney Boylan

Long Black Veil starts off in 1980 with six friends sneaking into a closed, run-down prison. They get locked in and one of them goes missing. Thirty-five years later, her remains are found and her husband Jon Casey is the prime suspect of her murder. His old friend Judith can attest to his innocence. We meet Judith in 2015, after the remains are found. What her connection to Casey is actually more of a mystery than who the murderer is.

Long Black Veil is categorized as a thriller but I don’t think it is. It’s more character than plot driven. And not very suspenseful. It gets off to a slow start. I was a little confused at the beginning about what was happening in the prison in 1980. Once I got past that part, it got much better. Most of the focus is on Judith and what’s going on with her in the present day. Not a lot is actually about the murder or the friends who were in the prison together. I can’t say too much more without revealing Judith’s secret.

This book has LGBT characters and Boylan herself is transgender so this book may be of special interest if you are trying to read more books with LGBT characters or written by LBGT authors. I know it can be hard to find them sometimes. But I would recommend this book to anyone as long as you remember that it’s not a thriller and adjust your expectations accordingly ( )
  mcelhra | May 17, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Have tried several times to enjoy this and each time have set it aside. Disappointed that I could not finish this book,,....not wanting to put a damper on someone else enjoying it...I will say only I tried and failed to appreciate the authors time and effort ( )
1 vote Azkate24 | May 17, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Full disclosure: I received this book in exchange for a review.

I enjoyed this book very much maybe because it takes place in Philly/Philly area. It is a quick read. The story begins in 1980 with a group of college kids taking trip to Philadelphia's Eastern State Penitentiary. The place is run down, dark, and there is someone else there. The gate that was open is now chained. Someone goes missing. Years later this comes back to haunt them all when a body is discovered in the prison. One of them, Jon Casey is charged with murder. Did he do it? Will his friends clear his name and risk the lives they've built? Read it to find out. ( )
  lvmygrdn | May 12, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Disclaimers: 1) I received this book through the Early Reviewers program. 2) I live in the area where much of the book is set.
I have mixed feelings about this book. It is described as a mystery and, while a mysterious event does occur, this book felt like it tried to be too many things at once. There was the mysterious event, the solution to that event, the dynamics of the relationships of the characters, identity issues, etc. It was just too much to process and none of the themes felt fully explored to me. I enjoyed the author's writing style and was excited about the premise but was left unsatisified.

My main problem with the book is more personal. As stated above, I live in the area where much of the book takes place. There were many factual errors involving locations, etc. that were so distracting to me that I found it hard to give credibility to the story and descriptions of events, people, etc.. While I know many authors take leeway with such matters, I have an issue when they place an actual town in a completely different county and then misrepresent the county as well. In the end, I did not find that this book lived up to the description. ( )
1 vote bookaholicgirl | May 10, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
In the beginning, this book is very easy to get into. Holds the reader's attention. I would caution that some readers may find the transgender character extremely off putting. After awhile, I began to lose interest in the characters and started to wish they'd all gone the way of Wailer. ( )
1 vote aramisTdawg | May 7, 2017 |

From the New York Times bestselling author of She's Not There, a new novel about a woman whose family and identity are threatened by the secrets of her past.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 07 Nov 2016 19:44:04 -0500)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Jennifer Finney Boylan's book Long Black Veil is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,471,392 books! | Top bar: Always visible