Long Black Veil: A Novel by Jennifer Finney…

Long Black Veil: A Novel

by Jennifer Finney Boylan

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
In 1980, a group of college friends end a wedding celebration by exploring an abandoned prison in Philadelphia. They get locked in and the bride disappears. Now, some decades later, the body has been discovered, and the investigation into a murder begins.

There's not much of a mystery here - what happens gets revealed earlier than I expected. But it is a decent thriller, and even better, an exploration of secrets and what happens when they're revealed. All in all, a pretty good book! ( )
  drneutron | Apr 20, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book from Library Thing's early reviewer program. I really, really liked this book. I was prepared not to like it because I hated the cover (really hope they change that for the final copy! It's true like many reviewers say that there is a huge cast of characters and that was an initial turn off because it's hard to keep track. But who can resist the creepy ghost story of this cast of misfits going into the abandoned State Penitentiary after the 10-year old brother chasing a cat?? And then -- one of them doesn't come out again. This is the event that changes all of their lives and you follow them into the future, seeing how the event changes them and haunts them as the years go on. Additionally, the book addresses the issue of transgender in a way that I really loved. I know this is a hot issue for novels these days, but I felt that this book wrote about it from a deep, emotional place that really had the reader understanding it from a place of depth and emotional understanding that is lacking in a lot of the books that try to include it as a hot button or en vogue issue of the day. Really loved the characters and the writing. ( )
  psychomamma | Apr 19, 2017 |
On the one hand, Long Black Veil by Jennifer Finney Boylan is about an individual emotional journey of self-discovery. This is the "character" part of the book. On the other hand, this book is about a murder mystery and about a group of friends who survive a severe trauma. This is the "plot" part of this book. Unfortunately, the two aspects of this story compete with each other, making this a challenging book for me.

Read my complete review at http://www.memoriesfrombooks.com/2017/04/long-black-veil.html

Reviewed for the Penguin First to Read program. ( )
  njmom3 | Apr 16, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Long Black Veil is a murder mystery with a significant twist. Initially it was a bit difficult to get the characters and transitions between past and present straight. But once the plot development took off, this book was intriguing. The story of Quentin's transition to Judith is heart wrenching and yet, beautifully told. The transgender theme is an important one in today's world. Jennifer Finney Boylan has made an important contribution here. We cannot help but empathize with Judith. We love her and want so much for her to be loved and accepted. I am so thankful to have been given this book to read. It certainly has allowed me a much greater insight into what goes on inside a transgender person's mind and heart.
  astridnr | Apr 16, 2017 |
3.5 It is 1980, Casey, an obese young man who never thought he would find someone to love him, and Wailer, a pink haired young lady were just married the night before. With their college friends, an older teacher and a young boy, the brother of one, they decode to visit an abandoned penitentiary. Bad, bad decision as they will find themselves locked in this creepy place, one will go missing, and their lives will be irrevocably changed. Years later, now in their fifties, another young woman finds bones, once again bringing this group, or at least those who are left, back together though in very changed circumstances.

After this intriguing and somewhat creepy beginning the pacing slows as we get to know these characters in the aftermath of the tragedy. Although a mystery, it is only the framing of the story as this is a very character driven novel the main character Judith and her life in the aftermath. Won't say much more about her, but her story is the most interesting. The plot itself is in no way as strong as the characterizations, often relying on coincidences and other questionable happenings. The characters though, in my opinion, were strong enough to overcome what was at times, shaky storytelling. The characters are what ultimately hooked me. They were multifaceted, interesting and their lives in the aftermath of both the disappearance and discovery of the bones, was very ably handled, and often surprising.

The usual twists and turns, and a rather unique one, propel the story forward. The ending maybe a little to pat, but by that time I just wished most of them well.

ARC from publisher. ( )
  Beamis12 | Apr 15, 2017 |

From the New York Times bestselling author of She's Not There, a new novel about a woman whose family and identity are threatened by the secrets of her past.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 07 Nov 2016 19:44:04 -0500)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Long Black Veil by Jennifer Finney Boylan was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,789,406 books! | Top bar: Always visible