Long Black Veil: A Novel by Jennifer Finney…

Long Black Veil: A Novel

by Jennifer Finney Boylan

Just not my kind of book. Too much going back and forth, disjointed. Not one character that I felt any empathy or much sympathy for. ( )
  scotlass66 | Mar 27, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Boylan heeds one of the most common axioms about writing fiction "Write what you know" in this novel about 6 college friends who are forever influenced by a deadly incident in an abandoned prison. Some have changed more than others as a result of these events. Some have actually declined to change at all, not growing and learning as most people do as they mature.
This is definitely more psychological character study than thriller, though. The central 'whodunit' is almost offhandedly revealed in the middle of the story. What is on exhibit here is not the mystery of the event itself, but reactions to it and the varieties of human nature.
Personally, I like this kind of thing and had a hard time putting it down. I've read three of Boylan's memoirs, but none of her fiction until now. My respect for her has grown after reading this. ( )
  EmScape | Mar 27, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
In 1987,six students, a professor, and a little boy explore the ruins of an old penitentiary, somehow manage to become locked in, and have something tragic happen. Thirty years later, some of them reunite, and an understanding of what actually happened is slowly worked out. The book kept me reading, but I was glad to be done with it. Disappointing! ( )
  mpmills | Mar 27, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
"the idea of being so driven by desperation that you felt you had no hope except to erase yourself and start over" A group of friends in the ruins of Philadelphia’s Eastern State Penitentiary. The tragic night and the unexpected consequences affect the survivors’ lives. This novel is one of those stories that stick in your mind. It would have benefited from a stronger beginning. At first I found it very difficult to decipher the story's intent. The author has a message and devised a story as a vehicle, but the two didn't mesh well. The use of the Philadelphia Eastern State Penitentiary was, unfortunately, superfluous and distracting. ( )
  MM_Jones | Mar 27, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I started this book several times (confused due to a big cast of characters) and wanted to put on my DNF shelf but since I won it from LibraryThing I thought I had better finish and review. Long Black Veil was page turner! The story begins with 6 students, 1 teacher, and 1 little boy sneaking into an dilapidated, run down, closed state penitentiary. Of course it's dark and scary and of course they get locked inside. They try to find a way out, get separated and a tragedy occurs. Thirty years later their past catches up to them. Each of the students has a story to tell when a skeleton is discovered. There is one major twist in the story that I actually had to reread many times to make sure I understood what was happening. Suspenseful, scary at times, edgy and well written describes LBV. A solid 4 stars. ( )
  Amelianovich | Mar 25, 2017 |

From the New York Times bestselling author of She's Not There, a new novel about a woman whose family and identity are threatened by the secrets of her past.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 07 Nov 2016 19:44:04 -0500)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Long Black Veil by Jennifer Finney Boylan is available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,277,390 books! | Top bar: Always visible