Everyone Worth Knowing by Lauren Weisberger

Everyone Worth Knowing (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Lauren Weisberger

Member:shannonlilia
Title:Everyone Worth Knowing
Authors:Lauren Weisberger
Info:Simon & Schuster (2005), Hardcover, 384 pages

Everyone Worth Knowing by Lauren Weisberger (2005)

English (41)  French (3)  Portuguese (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (46)
I haven't given a rating this low for quite some time now, and it's disheartening that I'm doing it tonight. To be honest, this book is okay. Maybe I'm not really into this kind of chick lit because it involves a lot of social activities which are not my thing at all (except for the book club meeting of some sort!) I won't deny also the fact that the plot is flat, there are no events that heighten the story that can at least give the readers some attachment to the work.

I must say that even though it's not as hype as any other, this one is still worth trying to read. Who knows maybe this light read of a book can help you get through a bad day. :) ( )
1 vote primadonnareads | Feb 23, 2018 |
I picked up this book randomly in Half-Price Books and thought it might be good for a laugh. It has set me down a horrible path of chick-lit/romance novel OBSESSION!! Beware, because this book will swallow you in and take over your LIFE! I don't think I put it down once... ( )
  ElleyOtter | Nov 28, 2017 |
Fun mind candy - NOT as good a [The Devil Wears Prada]. There's some sloppy editing. And what happens to Michael? But it is entertaining, in an empty calorie kind of way . ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 15, 2016 |
I don't remember much about this book (some of the "to be reviewed" pile is a few years old), but it's my type of thing, about a New York showbiz publicist. Let's see... (reading about the book) Bette's job revolves around partying with the jet set, and she's soon dating a rich playboy and the subject of gossip herself. It's a similar environment to The Devil Wears Prada, but I liked the first book more (and do remember it). ( )
  ennie | Apr 21, 2014 |
Extremely predictable but entertaining fluff. ( )
  cait815 | Apr 1, 2013 |
I have never read The Devil Wears Prada, but I did see the movie and LOVED it so I was very excited about reading Everyone Worth Knowing because it is by the same author. Being very girly and very predictable, as most chick-lit books are, this one was just... okay.

Bette is definitely a character that I could see myself being close friends with. She is a perfect mix of the down-to-earth/head-in-the-clouds type of person that I like. The simple fact that her guilty pleasure is her book club devoted to 'Smut' books (Harlequin Romance novels) is great. Personally, those are not my style of book but I could well imagine the shame that would exist if I was (as a young mom in her early thirties) addicted to them.

Up and down, back and forth, here and there... this book was all over the place. From the beginning of each chapter to the end, the mood swings were intense. While it did make me want to read the next chapter, it was slow... I knew what was coming before it was there and just lacked the excitement that I was looking for. Maybe it is because I was imagining the amazing characters/story from The Devil Wears Prada...

Overall, it was a chick-lit book through and through... a worthwhile read but not one that will change my life. I didn't LOOOONG to be any of the characters, but, as I said, would love to be a friend. So, I would prefer to know someone who knows Everyone Worth Knowing.

Lauren Weisbergerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Konkka, AinoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
How does it feel to be one of the beautiful people? -from "Baby, You're a Rich Man" (1967) by John Lennon and Paul McCartney
To my grandparents: This should help them remember which grandchild I am.
Though I'd caught only the briefest glimpse from the corner of my eye, I knew immediately that the brown creature darting across my warped hardwood floors was a water bug - the largest, meatiest insect I'd ever seen.

Da Bette bliver ansat som partyplanner i et stort pr-bureau, kan hun slet ikke begribe sit held. Hun bliver betalt for at feste, for at omgås de kendte og blive set på de hotteste klubber på Manhattan, og hun kender pludselig alt og alle. Alt sammen lysår væk fra hendes tidligere 80-timer-om-ugen-bankjob.

Men da hun halvvejs mod sin vilje – men til sin chefs store glæde –begynder at date en berygtet playboy, bliver hun pludselig selv fast inventar i sladderspalterne, og langsomt men sikkert begynder hendes liv at smuldre. Hendes venner og familie kan ikke længere kende hende, og snart er hun godt i gang med at skræmme den eneste fornuftige fyr i sit liv langt, langt væk.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743262298, Hardcover)

Lauren Weisberger, whose bestselling debut The Devil Wears Prada outed the vicious antics of the magazine industry elite, is back at it with Everyone Worth Knowing, another cautionary tale of sex, power, and fame. This time around, the PR industry is her target, and Prada fans will recognize similar themes throughout this entertaining, if at times overly dramatic, exposé.

Bette Robinson is a twentysomething Emory graduate who shunned her parents' hippie ideals in favor of a high-paying yet excruciatingly boring job at a prestigious investment bank. One day, after a particularly condescending exchange with her boss (who sends her daily inspirational e-mails), Bette walks out on her job in a huff. After a few weeks of sleeping late, watching Dr. Phil and entertaining her dog Millington, Bette's uncle scores her a job at an up-and-coming public relations firm, where her entire job seems to revolve around staying out late partying and providing fodder for clandestine gossip columns. What follows is one episode after another of Bette climbing up the social ladder at the expense of her friends, family, and the one guy who actually seems worth pursuing.

Weisberger is clever enough to turn seemingly outrageous circumstances into amusing anecdotes, like the tale of a woman who was close to suicide until she found out she was only 18 months away from scoring a highly coveted Birkin bag ("You simply cannot kill yourself when you're that close ... it's just not an option."). This wit, combined a hint of voyeurism that most of us can't deny, is what makes Everyone Worth Knowing a guilty pleasure that's well worth the indulgence. --Gisele Toueg

The Significant Seven with Lauren Weisberger
Lauren graciously agreed to answer the questions we like to ask every author.

Q: What book has had the most significant impact on your life?
A: Very tough question. For the first half of my life, it would definitely have to be Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy Blume. I worshipped that book. Recently, I'd say that it was Empire Falls by Richard Russo. Even though there's not a tremendous amount of action, the characters are brilliant. It's a hauntingly realistic depiction of small-town America. And the place descriptions are so compelling that the book is compulsively page-turning.

Q: You are stranded on a desert island with only one book, one CD, and one DVD--what are they?
A: This is not the time for self-improvement, that's for sure--they'd all have to be 100% entertainment. For book it would have to be The Last of the California Girls, a random novel that I've read 2,000 times; for CD I would say Monster Ballads, the album of cheesy 80's love songs that I ordered from an 800-number, and for DVD, it would be Dirty Dancing, of course.

Q: What is the worst lie you've ever told?
A: That one's easy. It goes something like this: "Hi, (insert editor's name here)! Yes, of course, it's already finished. I'm just tweaking a few sentences, and I'll have the whole draft to you by Monday, latest."

Q: Describe the perfect writing environment.
A: For me, the best writing environments are all about deprivation and the removal of temptation. Therefore, anywhere on earth where there's no TV, no phone, no internet access, no friends, and no fridge is pretty much perfect.

Q: If you could write your own epitaph, what would it say?
A: I really don't want to think about this one, but if I HAVE to, I hope it would include a few keywords like "brilliant," "supremely talented," and "drop-dead gorgeous."

Q: Who is the one person living or dead that you would like to have dinner with?
A: I'm supposed to say Hemingway or Moses or Madonna, right? It'd probably just be my sister, Dana. We already have a lot of dinners together, so I know it's a guaranteed good laugh.

Q: If you could have one superpower, what would it be?
A: The ability to be invisible! It would make all my current spying/stalking/staring SO much easier.

Lauren Weisberger's List of Books You Should Read