Tell Me How This Ends Well: A Novel by David…

Tell Me How This Ends Well: A Novel

by David Samuel Levinson

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this ARC through Library Thing.

The premise of the book is fascinating (three siblings plot to murder their wicked father), and I found the characters themselves to be quirky and likeable. The issue was the pacing. It was so slow. The tension takes too long to mount, and it takes too long to understand why they detest their father so much. It's hard for the plot to maintain credibility when all three siblings appear more to be petulant children rather than understandably broken adults. The father's abuse is explained later, but I had already lost interest before I got there. To be honest, I couldn't finish it. I just could not get into it all.

I put it down thinking I might revisit and provide a proper review, but honestly I could not bring myself to do it. ( )
  SnorterMcPhail | Jul 11, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Set in the very near future, this novel features the Jacobson family as they gather in L.A. to celebrate Passover. The author gives us the perspective, in separate chapters, of each of the family members of this dysfunctional group. Each family member recounts the past, both personal and family stories, as well as the current turmoils of the family. At the same time that these family members are battling each other, they are pulling together to fight the blatant antisemitism that is raging around them, and sometimes erupting into violence.
Setting this story in 2022, the author paints a picture of a world become even more frightening and divided than it is now. And while some of the events portrayed here are disturbing, there is also a great deal of humor. I found this an enjoyable read.
Thanks to LibraryThing for supplying me with an ARC of this novel. ( )
  jhoaglin | Jul 5, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really struggled trying to decide how many stars to give this book. Some of events portrayed in this book are horrific and reading those parts was unpleasant. A few of these events are left as loose ends and never explained. The father in this book is a monster who bullies his wife and children and lives to humiiate them. It seems probable that the story is based in part on the author's own childhood. If so, that must have been a terrible experience that left a lot of scars.

That said....the novel is extremely well-written and the characters are believable. ( )
  Jonri | Jun 30, 2017 |
In 2022 Los Angeles the Jacobson family is gathering for one last Passover. Their matriarch is dying and her three kids are planning for the Angel of Death to visit dear old dad. They just want mom's last days to be happy and peaceful.

"America First" resulted in allowing a military takeover of Israel by surrounding Arab countries. The Jews were forced out across the world. Germany has welcomed the Jews, perhaps as expiation for their past sins. America has seen a rise in Anti-Semitism and terrorist attacks on Jews.

Julian Jacobson deserves the title of world's worst father and husband. He married heiress Roz, but with the birth of their first child Mo, the honeymoon was over.

Julian is disappointed in each successive child--Mo, Edith, and Jacob--and he deals out abuse that impairs them into their adult relationships. Mo works out at the gym for a "few hours of intense weight lifting and cardio to expunge these memories, but then Moses was as good as new, returning from the battleground of the past having once again slain the fire-breathing dragon that was dad."

"He just stabs with his mouth."

The kids wonder why Roz has stayed with the selfish bastard. Now there is evidence that Julian is hastening Roz's demise, perhaps to keep her money from his disappointing kids. The sibs plot, plan, and argue while realizing just how evil their father really was. The ending is a surprise and a satisfying twist.

Tell Me How This Ends Well by David Samuel Levinson surprised me. The novel is wildly funny, and yet is deadly serious. I loved the dark comedy and the over-the-top characters. It is also a chilling look at how America, and the world, is evolving. Readers who enjoy dark comedy on "taboo subjects" --like patricide, an unethical ethics professor, and the disposal of dead bodies--will love this book.

I received a free book from Blogging for Books in exchange for a fair an unbiased review. ( )
  nancyadair | Jun 23, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
In David Samuel Levinson's novel, Tell Me How This Ends Well, readers are given an up close and personal look into the lives of the members of the Jacobson family who have gathered to observe Passover. The adult children of Julian have something else planned, as well. Some might call it revenge. While not all family reunions go well, this one is highly unusual.
I found this book to be well written. The story is intriguing, as are the characters. The conclusion came as a total surprise.
I received a free ARC of this book and the opinions expressed in this review are my own. ( )
  SAMANTHA100 | Jun 19, 2017 |

An ambitious, gripping, darkly funny family drama about the reckoning of three adult siblings with their profoundly flawed parents, set during Passover in a near-future America rife with anti-Semitism and terror, from an award-winning short-story writer

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 09 Nov 2016 18:03:24 -0500)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

David Samuel Levinson's book Tell Me How This Ends Well is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,175,435 books! | Top bar: Always visible