Tell Me How This Ends Well: A Novel by David…

Tell Me How This Ends Well: A Novel

by David Samuel Levinson

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was an Early Reviewers book that I hve no recollection of picking!
Reading the plot synopsis this is a book I have no interest in reading,ever.
  MEENIEREADS | May 16, 2017 |
Okay. Like, wow. Holy crap. How did he do that? This novel really is prescient and scarily so. I read somewhere that the author started writing this book in January, 2015, long before Trump was nominated. It's a nod to Levinson's imagination that he tapped into the zeitgeist and took the pulse of our broken country. And he did it in such a wonderful way through the Jacobsons, whom I love—Jacob, Edith, and Moses, the siblings, who plot the death of their hideous father. and Julian Jacobson is quite frankly one of the most well-drawn and abhorrent fathers I've ever met. You will see what I mean when you read Tell Me How This Ends Well and you should read it! It's quite brilliant and a really easy read. It's a chilling portrayal of a near-future America, though that near-future seems to have arrived a few years early. I just cannot recommend this book highly enough. ( )
  bookhimdanno | May 4, 2017 |
I absolutely loved this book. I hated coming to the last page and will probably end up reading it again because it's just that kind of book. Maybe I'll read it in a few months, just to let what I read sink in. It's a great book for book clubs and I'm recommending it to mine and others. If you want a really good, meaty and funny book about some dark subjects, then this book is def for you. ( )
  Lanceplot | May 4, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Dang if I didn't want to love this novel, but it's just so tedious. The writing style is impossibly self-important and navel-gazing. The section written from a female character's point of view is literally insulting to women in how sexist it is. The thrust of the novel as advertised -- a dystopic near-future in which Jews are persecuted -- barely factors into this novel. The tropes (self-hating Jew dating a German! scandal in academia! jerk dad!) are pathetic. Avoid. ( )
  sparemethecensor | Apr 30, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Kind of a tedious read. I kept waiting to learn of the cataclysmic event that had affected Jews in the United States. Finally on page 112 it was revealed that Isreal had been invaded by Syria, Lebanon, and Iran while the United States and Europe stood aside, numbed by the flood of Muslim refugees. Isreal ceased to exist and some 4,000,000 refugees were granted access to the United States. This unleashed a flood on anti-semitism in the U.S. and suicide bombings were now common in 2022. The story is really the saga of the Jacobson family and their horrible father whom they have decided to kill while gathering in Los Angles for Passover. There was an interesting twist to the disposal of Julian Jacobson. ( )
  velopunk | Apr 27, 2017 |

An ambitious, gripping, darkly funny family drama about the reckoning of three adult siblings with their profoundly flawed parents, set during Passover in a near-future America rife with anti-Semitism and terror, from an award-winning short-story writer

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 09 Nov 2016 18:03:24 -0500)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

David Samuel Levinson's book Tell Me How This Ends Well is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,439,830 books! | Top bar: Always visible