It's Not Easy Being Green: And Other Things…

It's Not Easy Being Green: And Other Things to Consider (edition 2005)

by Jim Henson (Contributor), The Muppets and Friends

Collections:Read but unowned, 2012
Rating:***
Tags:ACLS, Non Fiction, Quotes, Muppets, Humor

It's Not Easy Being Green: And Other Things to Consider by Jim Henson

Very inspirational book full of quotes from Jim Henson, the Muppets, Fraggle Rock, and the people and productions Henson created over the years. Henson was one of those men who touched so many lives through his work.

Whether it comes from song lyrics, thoughts from his journals, or words of wisdom from his coworkers; each quote in this book has the ability to lift you up and inspire you to greater things. Well, that's what it did for me anyway. ( )
  regularguy5mb | Jul 2, 2013 |
This is primarily a book of quotes. Quotes by or about Jim Henson, the puppeteer of The Muppet Show and Sesame Street fame. Includes some quotes and songs by some of his characters, as well.

For some reason, I thought this was a memoir. I am not a big fan of quotes, but given some of the memories, this was cute. Some nice, uplifting quotes included in this book. Hensen was a very optimistic man. ( )
  LibraryCin | Apr 8, 2013 |
Not quite as fun as I was expecting, but interesting glimpses into the history of the muppets and other Jim Henson productions. It's really a collection of quotes from Henson and those who worked with him through the years. Nothing really new or surprising, but a few of the quotes from Henson himself are good, particularly when he talks about how to view work life and fun life--get your work done so you can go have fun! ( )
  Krumbs | Mar 31, 2013 |
I picked this up after having the chance to see a traveling Smithsonian exhibit of the history of Jim Henson and his puppetry, and read it straight through in just two sittings. This is "the world according the Jim Henson"-like -- with dozens of quotes from Henson, his co-workers, and those who were inspired by the man and his work ethic. Broken up into a variety of categories, this is inspirational but lite-weight, however if you grew up on any of Henson's creations -- the Muppets of Sesame Street, Kermit, Fozzie, Miss Piggie and the others of The Muppet Show, the creatures of Fraggle Rock, or the various one-shot productions (like The Dark Crystal), you'll appreciate this peek into the psyche of the man behind them all.

Originally reviewed for my local libraries' website: http://www.lincolnlibraries.org/depts/bookguide/srec/staffrec11-05.htm ( )
  cannellfan | Nov 7, 2011 |
Jim Henson was Kermit the Frog. And Kermit the Frog was Jim Henson. Therefore, it is no surprise that this book, a collection of thoughts about and from Jim Henson, has Kermit so prominently displayed on the cover. In fact, in the process of judging a book by its cover, it would be easy to think this is a collection of Kermit’s sayings (along the lines of other Muppet books like Pepe’s It’s Hard Out Here for a Shrimp or Kermit’s own Before You Leap: A Frog’s Eye View of Life’s Greatest Lessons…Did I just say Kermit’s own? Anyway…)

But, no, this is really a tribute to the genius and gentleness that was Jim Henson. As with any collection of quotes, there are high and low points, and there may have been too much a tendency to use quotes and songs from Muppet characters (although, with Henson’s involvement in all Muppet projects, it is quite evident that when the Muppets spoke it was Henson speaking), but the overall affect of this book is…pleasantness. This is a book that is an antidote to the negativism of the real world.

And my favorite quote? From Kermit: “I have a lot of great memories from the swamp. I remember when I was little, we’d all just sit out on our lily pads for hours and hours, rocking gently on the water and listening to the soft, sweet sound of chirping crickets…Then, of course, we’d eat the crickets…but that’s another story.” ( )
  figre | Dec 24, 2009 |
It's not easy being green.
For Jon and Heather
I believe that we form our own lives, that we create our own reality, and everything works out for the best.

Few things evoke such a universal feeling of warmth and humor as the work of Jim Henson. In his own words, as well as those of some of his best-known characters like Kermit the Frog and Ernie, we get a glimpse of the philosophy and humor that was so essential to Jim's creations. We'll also get a behind-the-scenes glimpse of the collaborative spirit of this gentle artistic genius from the people Jim knew, loved, and inspired. This uplifting collection of quotes, stories, anecdotes, songs, and insights gives new life to Jim's magical world. Culled from The Jim Henson Company archives, program transcripts, personal letters, and interviews, along with some of Jim's never-before-published writings, this collection is a testament to the legacy of a man who changed the way we see the world.--From publisher description.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,921,383 books! | Top bar: Always visible