Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

The Trumpet of the Swan by E. B. White

The Trumpet of the Swan (original 1970; edition 1970)

by E. B. White (Author)

Knowing how to read and write is not enough for Louis, a voiceless Trumpeter Swan; his determination to learn to play a stolen trumpet takes him far from his wilderness home.
Member:TammyRawson
Title:The Trumpet of the Swan
Authors:E. B. White (Author)
Info:Scholastic Inc. (1970), Edition: 38th Printing, 214 pages

The Trumpet of the Swan by E. B. White (1970)

(Full disclosure: I am an adult who usually reads middle-grade to teen fiction, most of which I thoroughly enjoy. I probably would have enjoyed this book MUCH more when I was 8 or 10 years old, but its story doesn't hold up well for an adult reader.)
Louis is a baby trumpeter swan who has no voice. Fortunately, he is fluent in the English language, learns to write, using a small slate and piece of chalk, and to play the trumpet beautifully, which gives him a voice. He gets jobs, for which he is paid, and he negotiates things with people. In the end, he convinces the love of his life to love him back and he lives happily ever after.
E. B. White wrote three well known children's books. "Charlotte's Web" of course, is brilliant. One of the keys to making that book work so well, is that although the humans talked to each other, and the animals talked to each other, there was no communication between humans and animals other than Charlotte's writing on the web. Somehow, that worked beautifully, making one of the all time classic children's novels. Then there was "Stuart Little" which was absolutely abysmal. I can't imagine why anyone considers it a classic, other than by association with "Charlotte's Web." This book hung in between those other two. It's nowhere near as good as "Charlotte's Web," but it also doesn't make you want to shred it and throw it in the fireplace the way "Stuart Little" did (for me anyway). ( )
  fingerpost | Sep 11, 2020 |
Louis the trumpeter swan has no voice, so he learns to read and write and play the trumpet to communicate. ( )
  LindaLeeJacobs | Feb 15, 2020 |
This book is about a young trumpeter swan who is unable to talk. He learns to play the trumpet and this skill brings him to many adventures in his life. Overall, I love this book and my 4th graders enjoy it so much! ( )
  shannonopdahl | Feb 9, 2020 |
I read this aloud to my 6 and 9 year old daughters. We all loved it. My 9 year old is a total animal-lover and books about animals are her favorite. She brought this book home from her classroom library. It was a cute story; fun to read. ( )
  Aseleener | Mar 24, 2018 |
Louis, a voiceless Trumpeter swan, finds himself far from his wilderness home when he determines to communicate by learning to play a stolen trumpet.
  salem.colorado | Jan 15, 2018 |

E. B. Whiteprimary authorall editionscalculated
Frascino, EdwardIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marcellino, FredIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Merling, JennyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walking back to camp through the swamp, Sam wondered whether to tell his father what he had seen.

Louis is a trumpeter swan. He is born one summer on a little pond in Canada, along with four brothers and sisters. But Louis has a terrible problem. Unlike the rest of his joyfully noisy family, Louis can't make a single sound. And without a trumpet sound, his true love - the beautiful swan Serena - just ignores him. Louis's father promises to help. So does Sam Beaver, a boy who loves all wild animals. First Louis goes to school with Sam and learns to read and write. But swans can't read, so Louis still can't make himself understood. That's when Louis's father puts his honor aside and steals a brass trumpet to give his son a voice. Louis's determination to pay off his father's debt and to woo his own true love takes him far from the wilderness he loves, but his faith and his joy in life are always with him.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,529,538 books! | Top bar: Always visible