No title (1970)

Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

The Trumpet of the Swan by E. B. White (1970)

Recently added bymyhandsrfull, ExpeditionSchool, private library, LoriY, beeworthy, TozoBooks, jsteiger
American (17) animals (150) birds (38) chapter book (75) children (117) children's (207) children's books (30) children's classics (29) children's fiction (71) children's literature (116) classic (104) classics (70) E.B. White (31) fantasy (112) fiction (464) hardcover (18) juvenile (62) juvenile fiction (33) kids (26) literature (35) music (33) novel (44) own (31) paperback (20) read (41) school (17) swan (22) swans (85) YA (25) young adult (48)

I reread this when my officemate's daughter was reading it and it was utterly charming yet very very odd all at the same time. I loved the Swan Boat connection that I remembered from reading it as a kid.
  amyem58 | Jul 3, 2014 |
I liked this chapter book. I really liked the plot of the story because it shows how much trouble Louis had to overcome in order to get the attention of the swan he was attracted to. I also liked the illustrations even though they were in black and white because they helped add to the story by having a visual. The big idea is that you can do anything you set your mind to. ( )
  lpicke2 | May 6, 2014 |
I read this book purely because my friend told me he had read it in school and that it was good, so I thought why not. While the book was very long and just over use of words at many times it did end up being a book I liked a lot. The idea of a swan being able to do all the things the Louis accomplishes in the story such as, learning to write, and play the trumpet, and communicating with people to earn a job, are all just entertaining in itself. You can tell it was written a while ago because of the language E.B White uses makes it more difficult to read than most children's books today. It had a good message of overcoming the difficulties we face in life. The swans were always trying to do what is best and right their wrongs. Although there were limited pictures the author uses descriptions that helped the reader see everything well. ( )
  kwiggi3 | May 6, 2014 |
When I was a little girl, my Daddy read this to me. Honestly, I don't remember a whole lot of the story, but I remember sitting on my bed with my Dad and listening to him read it. And for that, I love this book. ( )
  k8seren | Feb 6, 2014 |
Disclaimer: I review books on how they stand alone without regards to anyone’s personal views about the author. I review based upon readability and how the book affects my life for good, and less upon literary style.

This is a good book that shows the importance of perseverance and correcting past mistakes. It also exhibits what one can do if he/she keeps a can-do (positive) attitude. ( )
  wadehuntpc | Jan 28, 2014 |

E. B. Whiteprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Frascino, EdwardIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marcellino, FredIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walking back to camp through the swamp, Sam wondered whether to tell his father what he had seen.

Louis is a trumpeter swan. He is born one summer on a little pond in Canada, along with four brothers and sisters. But Louis has a terrible problem. Unlike the rest of his joyfully noisy family, Louis can't make a single sound. And without a trumpet sound, his true love - the beautiful swan Serena - just ignores him. Louis's father promises to help. So does Sam Beaver, a boy who loves all wild animals. First Louis goes to school with Sam and learns to read and write. But swans can't read, so Louis still can't make himself understood. That's when Louis's father puts his honor aside and steals a brass trumpet to give his son a voice. Louis's determination to pay off his father's debt and to woo his own true love takes him far from the wilderness he loves, but his faith and his joy in life are always with him.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0590406191, Paperback)

Although he lacks a voice in the traditional "Ko-hoh!" sense, trumpeter swan Louis learns to speak to the world with a trumpet stolen from a music store by his father. With the support of an unusual boy named Sam, who helps Louis learn how to read and write, the swan has some rather unswanlike adventures and ultimately wins the love--and the freedom--of a beautiful swan named Serena.

For over 30 years, E.B. White's masterpiece has captured the fancy of countless readers. Now, with stunning new art by award-winning illustrator Fred Marcellino, the beloved story can be experienced anew. The sepia-colored drawings lend an old-fashioned charm to the story--it's almost as if, with their complementary dry wit and uniquely creative talents, White and Marcellino originally worked together. Marcellino received the Caldecott Honor for his illustrations in Charles Perrault's Puss in Boots. (Ages 8 to 12) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:05 -0400)

Knowing how to read and write is not enough for Louis, a voiceless Trumpeter Swan; his determination to learn to play a stolen trumpet takes him far from his wilderness home.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,494,113 books! | Top bar: Always visible