No title (1970)

Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

The Trumpet of the Swan by E. B. White (1970)

American (17) animals (146) birds (38) chapter book (72) children (114) children's (206) children's books (30) children's classics (29) children's fiction (70) children's literature (114) classic (102) classics (68) E.B. White (31) fantasy (110) fiction (456) hardcover (17) juvenile (58) juvenile fiction (31) kids (27) literature (36) music (33) novel (42) own (30) paperback (21) read (42) school (17) swan (22) swans (84) YA (25) young adult (48)

When I was a little girl, my Daddy read this to me. Honestly, I don't remember a whole lot of the story, but I remember sitting on my bed with my Dad and listening to him read it. And for that, I love this book. ( )
  k8seren | Feb 6, 2014 |
Disclaimer: I review books on how they stand alone without regards to anyone’s personal views about the author. I review based upon readability and how the book affects my life for good, and less upon literary style.

This is a good book that shows the importance of perseverance and correcting past mistakes. It also exhibits what one can do if he/she keeps a can-do (positive) attitude. ( )
  wadehuntpc | Jan 28, 2014 |
Maybe it's because I didn't read it as a child ... but I really didn't enjoy this book. I found it to be kind of a slog. And I found the part where the swan has his webbed foot cut so that he can play his trumpet uncomfortable and disturbing to read. I loved Charlotte's Web, always will, but White's two other books just have nothing for me. ( )
  AmberTheHuman | Aug 30, 2013 |
maybe don't use, it is about fitting in and disability but tends to show the negative side and leaves Louis feeling like he must change to fit in.
  Astolot_Andrea | Aug 23, 2013 |
If I remember correctly, this was my first real book report. ( )
  katemo | May 16, 2013 |

E. B. Whiteprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Frascino, EdwardIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marcellino, FredIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walking back to camp through the swamp, Sam wondered whether to tell his father what he had seen.

Louis is a trumpeter swan. He is born one summer on a little pond in Canada, along with four brothers and sisters. But Louis has a terrible problem. Unlike the rest of his joyfully noisy family, Louis can't make a single sound. And without a trumpet sound, his true love - the beautiful swan Serena - just ignores him. Louis's father promises to help. So does Sam Beaver, a boy who loves all wild animals. First Louis goes to school with Sam and learns to read and write. But swans can't read, so Louis still can't make himself understood. That's when Louis's father puts his honor aside and steals a brass trumpet to give his son a voice. Louis's determination to pay off his father's debt and to woo his own true love takes him far from the wilderness he loves, but his faith and his joy in life are always with him.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0590406191, Paperback)

Although he lacks a voice in the traditional "Ko-hoh!" sense, trumpeter swan Louis learns to speak to the world with a trumpet stolen from a music store by his father. With the support of an unusual boy named Sam, who helps Louis learn how to read and write, the swan has some rather unswanlike adventures and ultimately wins the love--and the freedom--of a beautiful swan named Serena.

For over 30 years, E.B. White's masterpiece has captured the fancy of countless readers. Now, with stunning new art by award-winning illustrator Fred Marcellino, the beloved story can be experienced anew. The sepia-colored drawings lend an old-fashioned charm to the story--it's almost as if, with their complementary dry wit and uniquely creative talents, White and Marcellino originally worked together. Marcellino received the Caldecott Honor for his illustrations in Charles Perrault's Puss in Boots. (Ages 8 to 12) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:05 -0400)

Knowing how to read and write is not enough for Louis, a voiceless Trumpeter Swan; his determination to learn to play a stolen trumpet takes him far from his wilderness home.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,407,064 books! | Top bar: Always visible