No title (1970)

The Trumpet of the Swan by E. B. White (1970)

One of my favorites as a child, holds up well to a reread. Not sure if an adult, reading it for the first time, would be able to suspend disbelief about the swans' lives in the midst ofa mostly realistic, even educational story. But White does write beautifully, of course, and there are some lovely ideas and passages here.

And some humor. Louis's father is a good cob, but rather vain and given to fancy language. At one point he speaks of 'Here I glide, swanlike...'" and his wife reproaches him, because how *else* would a swan glide? "He decided he'd better do more gliding and less talking."

If you're a fan of Charlotte's Web or Stuart Little (the book), give this a go." ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
"Dad, do you know what a male swan is called? I'm quizzing you." We'd been listening to The Trumpet of the Swan during lunch while Dad was at work. On a family car ride, our six-year-old decided to test his father's knowledge of waterfowl.

"I don't know," said Dad. "A drake?"

"No!" said our son triumphantly. "A cob!"

It's always a pleasure to read this quirky little book about love, persistence, responsibility, and making your voice heard despite the obstacles. Hearing it in White's own voice on the audiobook and sharing the experience with my children (again) was particularly wonderful. I anticipate some requests to camp in Canada or visit Montana this summer. I'd be up for it. ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Apr 7, 2016 |
E.B. White writes an children's novel that here has no human characters but is so easy for children to relate to. My son loved it so much that he cried when it was done because he was sad to have it over. We had to re-read it immediately. ( )
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
A delightful book. This book seems meant to be read out loud. E.B. White's characters, from the Old Cob to Sam to the judge, come to life and bring the story to life as well. Rebekah and I loved this one and can't wait to read Sturt Little. ( )
  memlhd | Jan 23, 2016 |

E. B. Whiteprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Frascino, EdwardIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marcellino, FredIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Merling, JennyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walking back to camp through the swamp, Sam wondered whether to tell his father what he had seen.

Louis is a trumpeter swan. He is born one summer on a little pond in Canada, along with four brothers and sisters. But Louis has a terrible problem. Unlike the rest of his joyfully noisy family, Louis can't make a single sound. And without a trumpet sound, his true love - the beautiful swan Serena - just ignores him. Louis's father promises to help. So does Sam Beaver, a boy who loves all wild animals. First Louis goes to school with Sam and learns to read and write. But swans can't read, so Louis still can't make himself understood. That's when Louis's father puts his honor aside and steals a brass trumpet to give his son a voice. Louis's determination to pay off his father's debt and to woo his own true love takes him far from the wilderness he loves, but his faith and his joy in life are always with him.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0590406191, Paperback)

Although he lacks a voice in the traditional "Ko-hoh!" sense, trumpeter swan Louis learns to speak to the world with a trumpet stolen from a music store by his father. With the support of an unusual boy named Sam, who helps Louis learn how to read and write, the swan has some rather unswanlike adventures and ultimately wins the love--and the freedom--of a beautiful swan named Serena.

For over 30 years, E.B. White's masterpiece has captured the fancy of countless readers. Now, with stunning new art by award-winning illustrator Fred Marcellino, the beloved story can be experienced anew. The sepia-colored drawings lend an old-fashioned charm to the story--it's almost as if, with their complementary dry wit and uniquely creative talents, White and Marcellino originally worked together. Marcellino received the Caldecott Honor for his illustrations in Charles Perrault's Puss in Boots. (Ages 8 to 12) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:29 -0400)

Knowing how to read and write is not enough for Louis, a voiceless Trumpeter Swan; his determination to learn to play a stolen trumpet takes him far from his wilderness home.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,799,242 books! | Top bar: Always visible