The Trumpet of the Swan (full color) by E.…

The Trumpet of the Swan (full color) (original 1970; edition 2001)

by E. B. White, Fred Marcellino (Illustrator)

Member:Kdmack73
Title:The Trumpet of the Swan (full color)
Authors:E. B. White
Other authors:Fred Marcellino (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2001), Edition: Special, Paperback, 252 pages

The Trumpet of the Swan by E. B. White (1970)

I read this aloud to my 6 and 9 year old daughters. We all loved it. My 9 year old is a total animal-lover and books about animals are her favorite. She brought this book home from her classroom library. It was a cute story; fun to read. ( )
  Aseleener | Mar 24, 2018 |
Louis, a voiceless Trumpeter swan, finds himself far from his wilderness home when he determines to communicate by learning to play a stolen trumpet.
  salem.colorado | Jan 15, 2018 |
This beloved book by E. B. White, author of Charlotte's Web and Stuart Little, is a classic of children's literature that perfectly describes what it's like to march to the beat of your own drummer.
Louis is a trumpeter swan, but unlike the rest of his family, he can't make a sound. And since he can't trumpet his love, the beautiful swan Serena pays no attention to him. But when his father steals him a real brass trumpet, Louis has to find out if it's the key to what he's wanted all along.
E. B. White's classic book is a tender novel of overcoming the odds and learning to do things on your own terms. It will continue to be enjoyed by generations to come. ( )
  LynneQuan | Sep 26, 2017 |
Louis is scared when his father tells him that he's different from other swans. He doesn't want to be different. Even through he can't talk, Louis knows he could learn to read and write, if only he could get into school. Sam Beaver, a boy who understands all wild things agrees to help. But Mrs. Hammerbotham isn't sure she can handle a Trumpeter Swan in her classroom.
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
I read this to my six and four-year-old son and daughter over the course of two weeks. My daughter was fairly attentive, but now and then broke off to a "let me know when there are pictures." My son at six was interested the whole way through.

I gave this a a three star because it kept their interest...but I'd probably have gone 2 1/2 on my own. It seemed boring to me and the characters somehow didn't seem interesting and the overall story was just too unbelievable without going into the total fantastical - which might have made it work better.

Still, it's a good story for young kids without too much to distress them and a happy ending of course. ( )
  Sean191 | Jun 30, 2017 |

E. B. Whiteprimary authorall editionscalculated
Frascino, EdwardIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marcellino, FredIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Merling, JennyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walking back to camp through the swamp, Sam wondered whether to tell his father what he had seen.

Louis is a trumpeter swan. He is born one summer on a little pond in Canada, along with four brothers and sisters. But Louis has a terrible problem. Unlike the rest of his joyfully noisy family, Louis can't make a single sound. And without a trumpet sound, his true love - the beautiful swan Serena - just ignores him. Louis's father promises to help. So does Sam Beaver, a boy who loves all wild animals. First Louis goes to school with Sam and learns to read and write. But swans can't read, so Louis still can't make himself understood. That's when Louis's father puts his honor aside and steals a brass trumpet to give his son a voice. Louis's determination to pay off his father's debt and to woo his own true love takes him far from the wilderness he loves, but his faith and his joy in life are always with him.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0590406191, Paperback)

Although he lacks a voice in the traditional "Ko-hoh!" sense, trumpeter swan Louis learns to speak to the world with a trumpet stolen from a music store by his father. With the support of an unusual boy named Sam, who helps Louis learn how to read and write, the swan has some rather unswanlike adventures and ultimately wins the love--and the freedom--of a beautiful swan named Serena.

For over 30 years, E.B. White's masterpiece has captured the fancy of countless readers. Now, with stunning new art by award-winning illustrator Fred Marcellino, the beloved story can be experienced anew. The sepia-colored drawings lend an old-fashioned charm to the story--it's almost as if, with their complementary dry wit and uniquely creative talents, White and Marcellino originally worked together. Marcellino received the Caldecott Honor for his illustrations in Charles Perrault's Puss in Boots. (Ages 8 to 12) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:29 -0400)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,871,767 books! | Top bar: Always visible