The Upstarts: How Uber, Airbnb, and the…

The Upstarts: How Uber, Airbnb, and the Killer Companies of the New…

by Brad Stone

Not as good as 'The Everything Store'. After reading that Stone had a another book coming I knew I had to read it. I loved 'The Everything Store', which is about the rise and dominance of Amazon.com and the man behind it, Jeff Bezos. Over the years I had become increasingly uneasy about the stories about the company, particularly about the working conditions in the warehouses. That book detailed how that mentality and the rise of people wanting their stuff immediately (if not now) has created a culture that is reflective of both the warehouse and right up to the top of the chain.

So I was very excited to see what Stone would do about two sharing economy giants: Uber and Airbnb. Even though I haven't actually used either (tried UberEats a couple of times) it seemed like it could be a great book that would round out my knowledge from newspaper articles and stories.

Honestly, it's not. The book reads like too little material stretched out into a book. And unlike 'Everything', which had multiple interviews/conversations with people who had a range of views (but they mostly agreed on the brutality of the demand and why people burned out), this seemed a little too insider-y. It could be that both companies are still relatively young (Amazon is too, but Amazon probably benefited from the dot com boom of the 90's) and are going through some rather interesting growing pains/legitimate criticisms of how the companies are run, the treatment of their employees, the responses to customers, etc.

I'm not saying the book should have been slanted negatively but it just seems a bit too glossy and shiny and it's hard to tell (for me) exactly what plays into that. At times it just felt a bit too "Look at us! Look at our success! Ignore the negative stuff!" Like others I also found the Uber parts more interesting than the Airbnb sections but I'm not sure if this was the best way to present these two companies.

Maybe I just expected a bit too much after enjoying 'The Everything Store' a lot. It's not terrible and if you have an interest in either company it might be a good read. But TES was the better book. Library borrow. ( )
  acciolibros | Feb 11, 2018 |

Brad Stoneprimary authorall editionscalculated
Harms, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Temple, DeanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

New York Times bestselling author of The Everything Store Brad Stone takes us deep inside the new Silicon Valley.

In 2007, the crash had Wall Street and Silicon Valley reeling. The original renegades like Steve Jobs were now the establishment, and tech had become a way of life for suburban moms as much as for visionaries. The Valley was ready for a new revolution. Enter THE UPSTARTS. Genius entrepreneurs with no lack of self-confidence created companies that turned our expectations on their heads. Travis Kalanick of Uber and Brian Chesky of Airbnb are just two of the disrupters Brad Stone examines in this fly-on-the-wall look at the intersection of tech, business, and culture. With unprecedented access to all the key players, Stone illuminates the smart, driven, and often comically flawed people who are upending industries and changing the way we all live and work.

The world today is vastly different than it was even ten years ago, and it is due to the upstarts. In THE UPSTARTS, Brad Stone provides the rollicking narrative that shows the how our latest--and perhaps greatest--technological wave was born.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 10 Nov 2016 16:56:43 -0500)

Discusses the radical companies of the new Silicon Valley that are rewriting the rules of business and sidestepping ethical and legal obstacles in the process. --Publisher

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,999,971 books! | Top bar: Always visible