Dragonquest (1971)

by Anne McCaffrey

Series: Dragonriders of Pern: original trilogy (2), Pern (9th pass)

The deadly silver Threads are falling again. The dragonriders take to the air, their magnificent flying dragons destroying the shimmering strands before they reach the ground. F'lar has to find a better way to protect Pern before the Oldtimers dissent, or the fire-lizards stir up trouble, or his brother F'nor launches a suicide mission!… (more)
    Fridays with the Wizards by Jessica Day George (humouress)
    humouress: 'Fridays with the Wizards' (4th in the 'Castle Glower' series is like 'Dragonquest' in that people form a bond with a mythical flying animal as it hatches from its egg.

English (41)  Dutch (1)  All languages (42)
I'm burning through these as read-alouds to my family. I feel sort of so-so about the series, honestly. It doesn't really excite me too much, and the characters don't hold much interest for me. The world-building feels a little blah, basically manorialism with a weird variant dragon culture. It's fine, but just sort of... the best way I can describe it is that fantasy that really grabs me feels like it's in full color and this series feels more like it's in sepia tones. I like the books well enough, but I don't like them a lot. I don't regret reading them, but if my wife and son weren't all about them and if we had other more exciting books we were all interested in right now, I'd cheerfully read those instead. ( )
  dllh | Jan 6, 2021 |
I can't even count how many times I've read this book... Such a classic. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | May 18, 2020 |
Boo! A weak sequel to Dragonflight. ( )
  Seafox | Jul 24, 2019 |
Seven years later the heroic rescue of Dragonflight brings unfortunate consequences; quarrels between the reactionaries and the more forward looking. Further tensions are caused by more technological discoveries, the newly discovered fire lizards, and a thoroughly self-centered dragon rider. Also, the baby from Dragonflight is now a teenager by the end of the book and has plenty of agency. Hints of the high technology past emerge and so does new tech, with improbable speed. A very interim book, but the turn to internal dissension as the pass continues works well. The sixties sexism continues excruciating. ( )
  themulhern | May 27, 2019 |
The continuation of the story of Pern started in Dragonflight. I really love this series. I do get a little miffed at the "women" being regulated to the kitchen and the housework. But the introduction of the fire lizards in this story is wonderful. ( )
  StarKnits | Feb 6, 2019 |

Anne McCaffreyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Achilleos, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
D'Achille,GinoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Anne Dorothy McElroy McCaffrey
My Mother
Rukbat, in the Sagittarian Sector, was a golden G-type star. (Prelude)
How to begin? mused Robinton, the Masterharper of Pern.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,829,218 books! | Top bar: Always visible