The Power of Positive Thinking by Norman…

The Power of Positive Thinking (1952)

by Norman Vincent Peale (Author)

Overall, "The Power of Positive Thinking" is a good and decent book. It is a bit aged. The dialog, illustrations, and references are obviously from a bygone era (1950s). But, the overall premise of the book is quite simple and relevant today: Utilizing the art of visualization and having faith in the visual. Believing in what you want in order to succeed and make happen. Peale uses various Biblical text to support the view that you can make happen anything you want to as long as it fits within God's will. In general I agree with this premise. But, Peale seems to place more faith on the visualization itself rather than placing the faith in God alone. And, there seemed to be a high emphasis on achieving great business success throughout the book. But, I enjoyed the relaxation techniques Peale offers throughout this book. And, I like the technique of repetitive self-talk, Scripture memory, and imagery of peace and tranquility in order to sustain harmony and calm in ones life. I also appreciated Peale's encouragement to not let any negative thoughts enter into the mind. The minute it does, put an end to it and immediately replace it with a positive thought. I also appreciate Peale's call to sustain a pure and positive mind, free of worry and anxiety, as it will inevitably lead to a healthy body (healthy mind = healthy body). There were many good Scripture verses and passages scattered throughout the book; verses that offer encouragement, hope, and strength. The one thing that is missing from this book is a general summarization of all the practical techniques mentioned throughout the book. It seems the techniques were a bit obscure and hard to find at times. It would have been nice for Peale to have brought it altogether. Nevertheless, the book is good. I highly recommend it to those who struggle with anxiety and worry like myself. I also recommend it to those who may suffer from low self esteem. ( )
  gdill | May 16, 2013 |
You can tell this book is from a different era, but the message still applies. It's a good tool to help me put into practice remembering that God won't let me down, that with His help I can accomplish and get through anything. And that my everyday seemingly ho-hum life is much richer than that. ( )
  StephanieA46 | Oct 20, 2012 |
I don't often read these motivational texts, but this one I found absolutely inspiring. The author leads by example, and I did find that by following some of the simplest tips I felt a lot better. 'You will suddenly find you love everyone!' enthuses Dr Peale. I must admit I did feel a lot more positive towards others whilst following his advice, and for a crabby old hermit like me that was definitely progress! ( )
1 vote jayne_charles | Aug 26, 2010 |
A self-help book on the importance of the power of the mind over the body.
  Leangpeou | Jun 14, 2009 |
One of self-help's greatest
  lovethelibrary | Apr 29, 2009 |
To my brothers
Robert Clifford Peale, M.D.
and
The Reverend Leonard Delaney Peale
Effective Helpers of Mankind
BELIEVE IN YOURSELF!

"This book is written with the sole objective of helping the reader achieve a happy, satisfying, and worthwhile life." -- Norman Vincent Peale

The Power of Positive Thinking has helped millions of men and women to achieve fulfillment in their lives. In this phenomenal bestseller, Dr. Peale demonstrates the power of faith in action. With the practical techniques outlined in this book, you can energize your life -- and give yourself the initiative needed to carry out your ambitions and hopes. You'll learn how to:

• believe in yourself and in everything you do

• build new power and determination

• develop the power to reach your goals

• break the worry habit and achieve a relaxed life

• improve your personal and professional relationships

• assume control over your circumstances

• be kind to yourself

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:33 -0400)

Explains the ways in which self-confidence can help an individual lead a happy and satisfying life.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,505,260 books! | Top bar: Always visible