dismiss

Black by Ted Dekker

Black (2004)

by Ted Dekker

Series: Kehä (1), Circle series (1), De Cirkel (01)

Enter an adrenaline-laced epic where dreams and reality collide. Fleeing his assailants through deserted alleyways, Thomas Hunter narrowly escapes to the roof of a building. Then a silent bullet from the night clips his head...and his world goes black. From the blackness comes an amazing reality of another world-a world where evil is contained. A world where Thomas Hunter is in love with a beautiful woman. Then he remembers the dream of the chase as he reaches to touch the blood on his head. Where does the dream end and reality begin? Every time he falls asleep in one world, he awakes in the other-both facing catastrophic disaster. Thomas is being pushed beyond his limits...even beyond the limits of space and time. Black is an incredible story of evil and rescue, betrayal and love, pursuit and death, and a terrorist's threat unlike anything the human race has ever known. Some say the world hangs in the balance of every choice we make. Now the fate of two worlds hangs in the balance of one man's choice.… (more)

English (41)  German (1)  All languages (42)
meh ( )
  morrowje | May 8, 2020 |
This and many more reviews are over at Rachel Reading! Let us help you find your next read!

This book came highly recommended to me by one of my closest friends, who said that when he was growing up in a pretty strict Christian household he absolutely loved this series. Even though he no longer identifies as a believer, he still maintains how much he loves these books, so I was very excited to dive in.

I started this book as the audiobook, and there were very dramatic sound effects between chapters which threw me for a loop. This book follows Thomas Hunter in a kind of dual story. The first, involves a deadly virus called the Raison Strain which will decimate the planet. He embarks on a high intensity dash against time to try and warn the correct groups about what is going to happen. Although the only way he knows this, is because he found out as Thomas in a completely different reality that comes to him in a dream.

One of the things I absolutely loved about this book is that you really can't figure out which of these realities is...real and which is a dream. In each reality, when that Thomas goes to sleep or is unconcious, he wakes up in the other world and remembers everything that happened in the other reality. The story is extremely fast paced, and I found it done really well. I've struggled with thrillers lately because they don't seem to move quickly enough for me.

I will say, that this book is written as a Christian book, so the metaphors aren't really disguised at all. You can see plainly exactly what the author is alluding to but it didn't ruin the book for me. It came off as heavy sometimes, but overall it seemed harmless. The way Dekker describes some of the basics of Christianity is actually really interesting to me, and gave me a different perspective, and a new way of explaining things to people who ask.

I wasn't sure if I was going to pick up the sequels, but I think I will. This book has actually really stuck with me surprisingly, and it strikes me a bit as a Christian Dan Brown, so if that's your jam...check this out. ( )
  rachelreading | Apr 20, 2020 |
Well, half of it is sort of post-apocalyptic. The other half is present day.

Interesting concept. I'm still not sure how it all ties together. Most of the questions that the book leaves you with are not answered by the end...my niece assures me they are answered by the end of the 4 book series, however.

It started out a little disjointed and hard to get into for me. And, by the end of the book I am only just now starting to get attached to any of the characters.

There are not even thinly veiled religious overtones and much of the "Fantasy" post-apocalyptic side of the story is obviously based on a premillennialist theory of end times...new heaven and literal new Earth kind of thing.

Still, I have a feeling I'm going to get more and more attached as it moves along.

Writing/editing wise, I've no complaints. That's refreshing.

Solid three stars. It would have been more, but for the slow/jumbled start and not getting very attached to the characters. ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |
So I decided to Reread this series as audiobooks 7/28/16
I really enjoyed this book. It's fast paced and starts fast so it was a little hard to get into the habit of the flipping back and forth. But I did enjoy it ( )
  StarKnits | Feb 6, 2019 |
Quite a mash-up of mystery story, science fiction, and fantasy !!! Not my cup-of-tea. I couldn't get through it. ( )
  JosephKing6602 | Oct 14, 2018 |

Dekker, Tedprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Räsänen, OiliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Please do not combine the main work with the graphic novel adaptation of the work. Thank you.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,708,143 books! | Top bar: Always visible