Black by Ted Dekker

Black (2004)

by Ted Dekker

Series: Circle series (1)

Better than Green, but not much. The writing at times is quite terrible, and sometimes unintentionally funny. Thanks Mr. Dekker and to quote the last line of the book, Goodbye Mr. Dekker. ( )
  charlie68 | Jul 28, 2014 |
Review to come soon! ( )
  blog_gal | Jul 26, 2014 |
I've been meaning to pick this book up for several years now and finally got to when our teacher handed out a book review assignment. Unlike usual book reviews, we could pick our own book from wherever we wanted. It didn't have to be a classic, and it didn't have to be on the list. Whoope!!

Tomas Hunter is well trained in martial art combatting and maaay have accidentally got mixed up in some not so nice people who maaay want him dead if he doesn't have money that he promised them. But that's the least of his worries when the dreams begin. Each time Tom falls asleep, he wakes up in another world. One moment in the 21st century, the next in a strange colored forest with fuzzy bats. Which one is real? And why do they seem connected? Tom soon realizes a threat to the world in a form of a airborne virus in the hands of an evil and very powerful man. Doom lurks in both worlds.

There are two sides to this story: The one in the "real" world, and then the one in the colored forest, which is representative of Eden. Personally, I much rather have the "real" world over the Eden world, as I'll explain. Dekker does a great job describing every feel and emotion experienced in the book. Emotions of sorrow, pain, fear, jubilance, pleasure, anger, etc. He also does a pretty good job explaining the looks of his story world, the architectures, the culture, and other factors. His concept is also very unique and intriguing.

However, there are things I feel that need to be addressed.

In the colored forest, the "angels" of the world are flying, talking, fluffy white bat things called Roush. The "demons" are the same thing, only black called something I still can't pronounce, something like Shakakiti. "Satan" is represented by a great big black bat called Teeleh. In different parts of the story, Dekker would describe some of these characters doing things that I can't imagine fluffy bats being able to do. Like holding certain things, making hand signals, or different body movements that humans can do, but bats? I find it hard to picture. There are also times where Teeleh holds a fruit in his hand, bites into it, and puts it away behind him. It's like in an old cartoon or video game where things just disappear behind a character's back. That's just not possible, and bothered me and my picture thinking.

Another thing to point out in Dekker's descriptions is that there's sometimes too much description. When Tom jumps into the lake that is the Essence of God basically, Dekker takes about three to four pages describing the immense pleasure Tom feels, then the sorrow and pain for having doubted God, then intense pleasure again, whooping and screaming and laughing all the way. A bit much.

This flows into his fruit descriptions. The green fruit. The red fruit. The purple fruit. The white fruit. Can we just come up with some names and use those? An Apple. Or something. Come up with a name, but I grew tired of reading "fruit." Also, whenever anyone ate a fruit, it was the same thing, every time: Juice dribbled down his chin. Warmth flowed to his gut, filling him with immense pleasure. Yawn. Yes, we get it. The stuff is messy. But I think he overdid it on the fruit thing.

As for characters. Tom took a long time growing on me. Maybe it'll just happen more over time, but I didn't really feel connected to him. Maybe because I'm a sixteen year old girl and he's like a twenty-five year old man who's trained in hand to hand combat and has wild dreams. I dunno. But like I said, he did grow on me by the end of the book.

Then there's Rachelle. *insert eye roll here* Rachelle is the girl from the colored forest (Eden) where everything is perfect. Love is perfect. Men are perfect. And there's this Great Romance thing going on. She chooses Tomas Hunter, of course. What I don't like is that Dekker spends chapters on the two of them chasing each other through the woods and saving each other from imaginary black bats. I'm thinking, "Really? You have a world on the brink of extinction in your dreams and you're chasing a girl in the forest who's moodier than a seventh grade girl? Every time Tom would dream about Monique, the woman who was kidnapped by the villains in the "real" world, she'd get jealous and order him never to dream of her again. Yeah. Right. Sure. I know jealousy is an attribute of God, but the way it was presented here in this woman of Eden, turned me off to the character.

Bad guys. Love. I liked Carlos, I liked Svenson, I liked Teeleh. Yes, they're bad, but Dekker did a masterpiece in describing them. They were wicked, twisted, smooth, and slippery.

The two story worlds: Loved the "real" world. Made it feel like a crime/suspense novel. Great action, high risks, demands, a villain on the loose. All good things. All good things. Then we had the fluffy furbies and laughing old men and watery women that seemed very much like a drug-induced dream. *Shudder* Later, I got used to it, and things came up that didn't revolve around the Great Romance, but for awhile it was hard going.

I must say, though, I liked guessing the allegory. Teeleh was an obvious Satan. Roush were easy to guess as angels. Elyon was a given for God. Tanis was guessible, but not overtly obvious, and then there was Jesus. Er... Maybe it's because I'm still a teenager, but I don't EVER imagine Jesus as a little boy with a loincloth that giggles. Never. Maybe Dekker used this picture because He's the Son of God, but I like looking up to Jesus, trusting He knows more than I do, He's the Father of Christians, He's strong and capable. Not a little kid, no matter how advanced that little kid is.

All in all, the book was not bad. It was a bit weird at times, and slow in others, but then there were the fast paced and the guessing moments that I read for, satisfying me, and had me finish with two days to spare for my book review. Well written, Dekker.

Things to watch out for:

Romance: The Great Romance, which is holy and sanctified, not wrong in any way. However, it may be a little much flirting for some of us to handle. Kissing several times.
Language: "For Elyon's sake", referring to God, but in the context, it was more passionate than flippant. God's name used several times is fervor prayer and stress.
Violence: black bats attack and kill many characters with gruesome details, lots of blood. Man is shot several times in the chest. Man is shot through the head. Villain kills a man by shooting him through the forehead. Threat of world-wide epidemic destroying the world. Two men are hung on crosses but not crucified. Character's skins scab and flake until bleeding. Kidnapping and threats to shoot woman's toes off.
Drugs: virus epidemic.
Nudity: shirtless man several times.
Other: several themes more appropriate for older teens and adults. ( )
  Jenneth | Apr 13, 2014 |
A good idea but very poor execution. Where was the editor. Needs a lot of editing to polish it up. ( )
  SusanMayWriter | Oct 1, 2013 |
It's always hit or miss with Ted Dekker novels. And, this one was definitely a miss. Seems like he was trying too hard for allegory. It was just lame. Fantasy mixed with real life. Talking bats and attacking flies. Couldn't get into it. ( )
  gdill | May 16, 2013 |

Dekker, Tedprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Räsänen, OiliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Please do not combine the main work with the graphic novel adaptation of the work. Thank you.

Enter an adrenaline-laced epic where dreams and reality collide.

Fleeing his assailants through deserted alleyways, Thomas Hunter narrowly escapes to the roof of a building. Then a silent bullet from the night clips his head...and his world goes black.

From the blackness comes an amazing reality of another world-a world where evil is contained. A world where Thomas Hunter is in love with a beautiful woman. Then he remembers the dream of the chase as he reaches to touch the blood on his head.

Where does the dream end and reality begin? Every time he falls asleep in one world, he awakes in the other-both facing catastrophic disaster. Thomas is being pushed beyond his limits...even beyond the limits of space and time.

Black is an incredible story of evil and rescue, betrayal and love, pursuit and death, and a terrorist's threat unlike anything the human race has ever known.

Some say the world hangs in the balance of every choice we make. Now the fate of two worlds hangs in the balance of one man's choice.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:06:29 -0400)

Thomas Hunter works to save the world from a deadly virus by travelling through time and space.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,149,064 books! | Top bar: Always visible