Deadline by Randy Alcorn
631915,382 (4.13)2

English (8)  Dutch (1)  All languages (9)
Deadline by Randy Alcorn (?)
  journeyguy | Apr 2, 2013 |
Read ebook version. This book was not really what I was expecting when I started to read it. I thought it would be more centered on the mystery and detective. However, I ended up enjoying the book a lot. It is well written with believable dialogue. The message is great. I would like to read the other 2 books featuring Ollie Chandler. ( )
  Barb_H | Mar 30, 2013 |
The author does a great job of keeping the reader on the edge of their seat attempting to discover the "Who dunnit?" At the same time he doesn't keep you on the edge of your seat speculating about the point he is trying to make. Well written although slow moving in a few places. If you're looking for an interesting portrayal of what Heaven might be like, here's a refreshing viewpoint, presented by Randy Alcorn that stays pretty close to the information provided by the Bible, leaving you plenty of room to consider the implications. Well worth the time spent enjoying this book...provided you don't have to meet a Deadline! ( )
  smharder | Feb 1, 2011 |
The bad news: I downloaded the e-book version, and I don't know if the semantic noise I found was because of that format or inherent within the paper version. The semantic noise I ran into was around a dozen typos and several instances of possessive nouns lacking the apostrophe. Although I was not proofreading per se (if I were, I probably would have found more errors), the fact that the errors occurred distracted part of my concentration on the story.

Having said that, the crime story was entertaining and the underlying Christian theme was artfully woven into the crime story in a compelling manner that is sure to resonate with evangelical Christians. Although the descriptions of Heaven were somewhat unorthodox, nevertheless they were not objectionable, and will certainly give the reader pause to consider Heaven and its possibilities. On a similar vein, the description of Hell was vivid and should give readers even more pause to consider their afterlife destination if the escape that is detailed in the book is ignored.

Finally, despite the typos and punctuation problems, the author does something excellent that I have not seen any other author do, and that is use words that are in the common lexicon versus other author's too often attempts to impress readers with multi-syllable words of uncommon usage. The author's use of common language----not necessarily simple language, but the language of everyday use----makes for an easy read.

Five stars, for sure! ( )
  DomingoSantos | Jan 7, 2011 |
I'll start with my dislikes: The novel consisted of highly detailed writing that made it a laborous read for me. Addressing social issues (abortion, divorce, liberalism vs. conservatism) shifted the novel's premise miles away from the mystery, and I often forgot previous events and characters because of this.

My likes: very eye-opening book, even as a work of fiction. The downfall of medical ethics was very intriguing. It is inspirational fiction that touches on all those sensitive issues regarding political correctness. There were moments when I could have stopped reading this book but I continued to read because the themes within challenged my stance of social issues. The actual story has many heartwarming moments I enjoyed.

If you like highly descriptive, detailed writing with a strong Christian message you will enjoy this book.
  firstperson | Dec 8, 2010 |
To Steve Keels
The canary yellow three-by-five card fell to the floor, face down.

Involved in a tragic accident under suspicious circumstances, award- winning journalist Jake Woods teams with detective Ollie Chandler to uncover the truth. This alluring repackage of the R andy Alcorn bestseller finds Jake drawing upon all his resources in an ever- intensifying, dangerous murder investigation. Unaware of the imminent threat to his own life, Jake struggles for answers to the mystery at hand and is plunged into a deeper search for the meaning of his own existence.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:03 -0400)

Involved in a tragic accident under suspicious circumstances, award-winning journalist Jake Woods must draw upon all his resources in order to uncover the truth in this rerelease of the Randy Alcorn bestseller. Jake soon finds himself swept up in a murder investigation that is both complex and dangerous. Unaware of the threat to his own life, he struggles for answers to the mystery at hand and in doing so is plunged into a deeper search for the meaning to his own existence.… (more)

Randy Alcorn is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,917,136 books! | Top bar: Always visible