The Djinn Falls in Love and Other Stories by…

The Djinn Falls in Love and Other Stories

by Mahvesh Murad (Editor), Jared Shurin (Editor)

Other authors: Sophia Al-Maria (Contributor), Monica Byrne (Contributor), Amal El-Mohtar (Contributor), Neil Gaiman (Contributor), Maria Dahvana Headley (Contributor)16 more, Hermes (Contributor), Saad Z. Hossain (Contributor), Catherine Faris King (Contributor), Kirsty Logan (Contributor), Jamal Mahjoub (Contributor), Usman T. Malik (Contributor), Kuzhali Manickavel (Contributor), Claire North (Contributor), Nnedi Okorafor (Contributor), K.J. Parker (Contributor), Sami Shah (Contributor), Kamila Shamsie (Contributor), James Smythe (Contributor), E.J. Swift (Contributor), Helene Wecker (Contributor), J.Y. Yang (Contributor)

Too many bizarre stories for me but I did enjoy Clare North and K.J Parkers tales ( )
  Eclipse777 | Jun 2, 2018 |
There were quite a few stories that captured my interest. I liked that the stories were unique; you had stories that were set in olden times and ones that were more modern. The djinn in these stories were from different nationalities and settings, and it allowed them to be transformed in a way I had never imagined. However, not all of the stories were interesting to me. While there were some that left a lasting impression, quite a few just made me go "meh". Maybe my expectations were too high, but this anthology wasn't as amazing as I had expected. It did expose me to a wider range of authors, some whom I will definitely check out in the future. But other than providing me with a few interesting stories, I was just left feeling a bit disappointed.

I received this novel as an advanced copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  veeshee | Jan 29, 2018 |
All stories in this collection evolve around the myths of djinn/genie/jinn - depending on the the authors heritage the spelling is different - which made me curios in the first place. I don't know many books with djinn in it. Also, this book collects authors from Africa, Arabia, the US and the UK, maybe even more. It is fair to say, that not only the stories are very diverse but also their authors.

As with all anthologies there are good and not so good stories inside. The Djinn Falls In Love was an interesting read most of the time, but some stories just fell flat for me, especially those with a more urban setting. They couldn't grip me as much as those with a more "ancient" background but that might be just my personal impressions. Normally I prefer urban fantasy settings but in this case it didn't seem to fit with my fairytale-like expectations of the djinn myth. Yet it is an anthology worth trying. ( )
  SamJehanzeb | Dec 23, 2017 |
The first story was my favorite but overall loved the whole thing. Clever and interesting takes on djinn and retelling myths. Highly recommend. ( )
  AjaxBell | Aug 24, 2017 |
With contributors from all around the world, this collection of short stories is as remarkable for its variety as it is for its quality. Editors Murad & Shurin have given their contributors an open brief, and the results are dazzling.

My favourite tale was Reap by Sami Shah - one of the delights (as so often with anthologies) was the opportunity to dip into tales by authors I was unfamiliar with - but there are no bad stories here.

Sheer delight. Hats off to Murad & Shurin for putting together such a wonderful collection.

Full review

I received a free copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  imyril | Apr 13, 2017 |

Smythe, JamesContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Swift, E.J.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wecker, HeleneContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yang, J.Y.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Imagine a world filled with fierce, fiery beings, hiding in our shadows, in our dreams, under our skins. Eavesdropping and exploring; savaging our bodies, saving our souls. They are monsters, saviours, victims, childhood friends. Some have called them genies: these are the Djinn. And they are everywhere. On street corners, behind the wheel of a taxi, in the chorus, between the pages of books. Every language has a word for them. Every culture knows their traditions. Every religion, every history has them hiding in their dark places. There is no part of the world that does not know them. They are the Djinn. They are among us.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,595,927 books! | Top bar: Always visible