On Her Majesty's Frightfully Secret Service…

On Her Majesty's Frightfully Secret Service

by Rhys Bowen

Georgie (now 35th in line to the throne of Queen Mary) is asked by the Queen to go to a house party in France in order to keep an eye on the Duke of Windsor who is a house guest at a society party. There are many gathering there, a few of whom are working against England in favor of Mussolini & Hitler and of whom one is a murderer.

Meanwhile Georgie is also there to help her friend, society darling Belinda, with the upcoming birth & adoption of her baby.

Also along the plot line is Georgie's engagement to Darcy an Irish Catholic Lord and their planned marriage... but first she must stay alive long enough and be granted the Queen's permission to marry. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Sep 18, 2017 |
Another relatively light-hearted adventure with Lady Georgiana as she seeks permission to leave the line of succession and marry Darcy. The Queen sends her to Italy to spy on the Prince of Wales and she becomes involved in secret meetings of Nazi and fascist sympathizers while her mother calls on her to stop a blackmailer.
  ritaer | Sep 14, 2017 |
I have only recently discovered Rhys Bowen. I knew of her as an author, but I had not read any of her books. This was my second book by her, but the first in this series.

I loved the whole conceptual idea of this series. Fictional characters placed and set in real life events with real life people. A great cozy mystery set in the early set during the Hitler/Mussolini pre-war era with a little romance, scandal and lots of royalty.

As I said this was my first book in this series and I am so sad that I haven't been following it all along.
Guess I have some additional reading to do! Look out tumbling TBR pile!

Thanks to Berkley Publishing and Net Galley for providing me with a free e-galley in exchange for an honest, unbiased review. ( )
  debkrenzer | Sep 5, 2017 |
This is the 11th book in Her Royal Spyness by Rhys Bowen. Georgie is 35th in line for the Britsh throne and every where she goes murder and mystery seem to follow. She is smart and resourceful and has become quite good at solving crimes. Her Majesty Queen Mary has called upon her several times to solve little problems for her.

In this book, Queen Mary wants Georgie to attend a house party in Italy to spy on Prince Edward and Wallis Simpson to see that they don't marry in secret. Meanwhile, Georgie's fiance, Darcy, who works as a spy for the government has an undercover assignment as a gardener at the same house party to spy on a secret meeting that may be taking place between men close to Hitler and Mussolini. Her closest friend, Belinda, is hiding out in the same town in Italy ready to give birth to her illegitimate child. Add to this Georgie's actress mother and her German industrialist fiance, a former classmate of Georgie and Belinda who is now married to an Italian count, a blackmailing German lothario count, and a new efficient Austrian lady's maid, and murder and a little hilarity ensue!

Rhys Bowen has a writing style that is so easy to read. The writing is so fluent and conversational that I feel like I am catching up with an old friend each time I pick up one of her books. I can't help but make a contrast between the Her Royal Spyness books and some of the other books where there is a young woman trying to be involved in mystery like the Lady Julie Grey series. Georgie (Lady Georgianna Rannoch) tries to be proper. She is just as smart, if not smarter, but doesn't try to put herself or others at risk for no reason. Most of the time, she is thrown unwillingly into the mystery; she involves herself usually due to a sense of duty (or she is asked to involve herself.) She actually assists her significant other instead of hindering him. The mysteries are always well down as well, although I must admit, this one was pretty transparent to me.

On Her Majesty's Frightfully Secret Service is another good addition to a very fun and enjoyable mystery series. ( )
  rretzler | Aug 6, 2017 |
Another great read in this series. This time Georgie wants to go to Stresa Italy to be with her friend, Belinda who is 9 months pregnant. As always, the Queen Mary sends for Cousin Georgina and gives her a mission to find out if Prince David and Mrs. Simpson have a eloped in Stresa. It's just before WWII and there's lots of Germans and odd things happening.

All the regulars put in an appearance, Binky, Fig, Queenie, Grandfather, Mummy, Max, and of course the handsome fiance, Darcy. ( )
  Kathy89 | Aug 4, 2017 |
This book is dedicated to Minerva's Muses, the delightful and talented women who were my students at a writing workshop in Tuscany last summer and whose first published novel I eagerly await.

And thanks also to my lovely new editor, Michelle; and all the publicity folk at Berkley; Meg, Christina and everyone at Jane Rotrosen and last but not least my husband, John, who is always my most demanding and picky editor!
Monday, April 8, 1935
Kilhenny Castle, Ireland

Darcy has gone. Not sure what to do next.

I should have known it was too good to last.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 042528350X, Hardcover)

In the new Royal Spyness Mystery from the New York Times bestselling author of Crowned and Dangerous, Lady Georgiana Rannoch juggles secret missions from the Queen, Darcy, and her mother. But it’s all in a day’s work when you’re thirty-fifth in line to the British Crown.

When Darcy runs off on another secret assignment, I am left to figure out how to travel to Italy sans maid and chaperone to help my dear friend Belinda, as she awaits the birth of her baby alone. An opportunity presents itself in a most unexpected way— my cousin the queen is in need of a spy to attend a house party in the Italian lake country. The Prince of Wales and the dreadful Mrs. Simpson have been invited, and Her Majesty is anxious to thwart a possible secret wedding.

What luck!  A chance to see Belinda and please the queen as I seek her permission to relinquish my claim to the throne so I can marry Darcy. Only that’s as far as my  good fortune takes me. I soon discover that Mummy is attending the villa party and she has her own secret task for me  Then, Darcy shows up and tells me that the fate of a world on the brink of war could very well depend on what I overhear at dinner! I shouldn’t be all that surprised when of one my fellow guests is murdered and my Italian holiday becomes a nightmare...

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 04 Dec 2016 20:31:49 -0500)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,645,801 books! | Top bar: Always visible