Dream Park by Larry Niven and Stephen Barnes

Dream Park (original 1981; edition 1982)

by Larry Niven and Stephen Barnes, Steven Barnes

Other authors:Steven Barnes
Info:Ace (1982), Mass Market Paperback
Rating:***
Tags:science fiction

Dream Park by Larry Niven (Author) (1981)

1 (4) amusement parks (6) cargo cult (6) Dream Park (32) ebook (8) fantasy (32) fiction (104) gaming (15) hardcover (5) isbn (4) Larry Niven (12) mmpb (6) mystery (19) near future (7) novel (16) own (6) paperback (12) read (16) role-playing games (7) roleplaying (10) RPG (11) science fiction (247) series (12) Series: Dream Park (6) sf (62) sff (35) theme parks (8) to-read (5) unread (8) virtual reality (21)

English (11)  Dutch (1)  All languages (12)
I read this some time ago, shortly after first publication, and found it very confusing. This time around, I enjoyed it very much, particularly the mystery at the heart of the plot. ( )
  nmele | Apr 6, 2013 |
I had a lot of problems getting into this book. To me it was mediocre on all levels. First of all the book had no focus, was it a RPG book, a murder mystery, Sci fi thriller? I don't mind a mixed genre book but the constant bouncing from one plot line to another in the beginning was puzzling. Another REALLY annoying part of the book was the author's penchant for calling the characters by their first name, last name and RPG character name...often in the same paragraph certainly on the same page, so you had to memorize 3 times as many names and it was very confusing/frustrating to me. As an RPG it was probably rocket science when written in 1981 but I found it quite dated and the characters really did not get into their RPG roles seriously until the last quarter of the book...until then the book wandered aimlessly.

I see this is part of a series but I won't read anymore of the series. ( )
  Lynxear | Feb 19, 2013 |
I loved the mixture of Fantasy, Science Fiction, Thriller and RPG in this book. In fact I liked this book so much I find it dificult to determine whether I liked the character in the book, or the RPG character they played in the book! Of course, me being me, it is the female characters I latch onto. And there is nothing quite as exciting as a female Slayer. But as I said, that's me. Dream Park has everything you expect it to have as a traditional Fantasy and RPG, but with extras thrown in. And although this is one ocasion where death doesn't mean death in real terms for the characters, don't let that apparent element of reality fool you. Someone is playing a RPG character for real, and when this person slays you, you really are dead. ( )
  dgr2 | Mar 24, 2012 |
might have made a good game; the Cargo Cult world had possibilities. as a novel, though, there was way too much clunky dialogue, the story was lacklustre, and the cardboard characters never came to life. in fact, come to think of it, the world of the game seemed more real than the 'real world', which can't be good, even if you could argue it's a sign of the times. not up to the authors' usual standard. ( )
  macha | Oct 5, 2011 |
Dream park is futuristic role playing gamer's paradise. In the future, Live Action Role Playing will be serious business, and Dream Park caters to the very best. A huge dome where everything can be controlled, and holograms mix with real people. Richard has concocted one of the most complex game scenarios ever attempted, and Chester and his team must fight their way through the jungle, solve puzzles, and fight monsters at every turn. At the end of the first day of the game, a Park employee is found murdered in the R&D department - a place no player should have been able to enter - and a valuable chemical sample that could revolutionise gaming goes missing. The only thing to do is have Chief of Security Alex Griffin go undercover and enter the game to join the team in the hopes of figuring out which player is the murder and thief. However, Alex soon finds himself more immersed in the game than he planned, and starts to have trouble keeping his mind on his real mission.

I enjoyed the book, and the tech didn't seem all that out of date! Niven and Barnes extrapolated well! However, the lack of security between the Gaming area and the 'authorised personnel only' areas was practically non-existent and unrealistic. But it's what allowed the crime to take place, so it needed to be that way. Another thing that seemed unrealistic was how easy it was to 'cheat'. Considering how important these games are - akin to Olympic sports at this level - there should have been a system in place to keep track of the players in the off hours. But perhaps I'm nitpicking! The plot was good, and the characters not bad. Like Alex, I kept oscillating between trying to solve the murder, and trying to figure out the object of the Game.
  AwesomeAud | Feb 11, 2011 |

Niven, LarryAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Barnes, StevenAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Burns, JimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jones, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ochagavia, CarlosCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rudnicki, StefanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The train sat rigid as a steel bar, poised in midair above its magnetic monorail track, disgorging passengers into Dallas Station.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441167306, Mass Market Paperback)

For fifteen virtual reality gamers undertaking a four-and-half day quest, the fantasy slaying of monsters is suddenly interrupted-by murder.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:09 -0400)

A deadly murderer adds real danger to the simulated challenges of a computerized fantasy world.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,481,549 books! | Top bar: Always visible