Hellboy: On Earth As It Is in Hell by Brian…

Hellboy: On Earth As It Is in Hell

by Brian Hodge

Angels have attacked the Vatican to destroy a controversial manuscript, and that's just for openers!

Brian Hodge takes a stab at the world of Hellboy and the BPRD and does it exceptionally well. The characters ring true, which for me is the first thing I look for in a story written by someone other than the creator. These still feel like Mignola's characters, so I can jump right into the story.

And what a story! Angels and demons after an ancient scroll, and the BPRD is right in the middle. There were elements of this one that didn't seem to fit right away, but they eventually pay off (but I was so interested in other parts that I forgot about some of them until the resolution).

This is what Hellboy does best, a blend of religion, folklore, and ancient occult in the modern world. Good stuff. ( )
  regularguy5mb | Jul 5, 2014 |
I liked The Lost Army a lot, but the 3 last books have been deceptions for me. So this one took me by surprise!

Brian Hodge manages to bring in what works really well with Mike's comics: the mood and the humor. But he also brings something that's sadly missing from Hellboy's drawn stories: the sense of details. I mean when you have so many cool objects and characters and locations and monsters... it's a pity that the whole thing is gone in 2 or 3 little comic books, isn't it?

At least with this book we get to dive in some of the characters' previous life and the result is that we start caring about them. And I don't get that a lot from the comic book...

Then again what we DON'T have is Mike Mignola's beautiful artwork which is what made me buy the first comics back then. A cover is ok but some inside illustrations would have been better.

In the end I have really enjoyed this book and will buy the next ones. ( )
  fnanson | May 19, 2006 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,635,454 books! | Top bar: Always visible