A Step From Heaven by An Na

A Step From Heaven (original 2001; edition 2003)

by An Na

703None13,401 (3.76)17
Member:ashbrau
Title:A Step From Heaven
Authors:An Na
Info:Speak (2003), Paperback, 160 pages
Rating:***

A Step From Heaven by An Na (2001)

Kira-Kira by Cynthia Kadohata (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: A beautiful realistic fiction novel about a young girl growing up to be hardened young women and the hardships, trials and tribulations she overcomes in the process.
    Blue Jasmine by Kashmira Sheth (meggyweg)
    meggyweg: Both stories of young girls and immigration: Blue Jasmine's protagonist is from India, and A Step From Heaven's protagonist comes from South Korea.
    Children of the River by Linda Crew (meggyweg)

English (37)  German (1)  All languages (38)
Story of the struggles of a Korean immigrant family in America
  butterkidsmom | Jan 18, 2014 |
Hmmmm... this book made me extremely uncomfortable. I mean, OBVIOUSLY the content is not supposed to make you comfortable—the father was an emotionally and physically abusive tyrant, after all, and only gets worse when he starts drinking heavily... But... well...

When I was reading this book, I kept thinking back to the time I lived in Korea, wondering about how "safe" the country was. I was 16 and my brother was 14, and we would go all around town all by ourselves with a couple other American kids who were 13 and 15. And I ALWAYS felt safe there. And I remember thinking later that if there WAS crime in Korea, it was happening behind closed doors. And now I'm really worried about all the submissive women I saw in Korea—are things like this happening to them? And if they are, what on earth could they do about it?

Because with the way Korean culture is, the husband is THE BOSS, and whatever he says goes. And the men really do drink a TON over there... *sigh* And thinking all these things really depresses me, because I don't know what I can do about it!

... The book was good. Well-written, and obviously very emotionally driven, but it was a little too close to home for me. I can't think about it for too long without wanting to cry. ( )
  saraferrell | Apr 3, 2013 |
This is a wonderful story about modern immigration. My class had a great deal of fun discussing and dissecting this book. ( )
  benuathanasia | Sep 9, 2012 |
RGG: Korean girl's difficult youth growing up in America with an increasingly abusive father. Subject matter, rather than difficulty of reading, makes it YA, not 9-12. An Na considers The House on Mango Street a narrative model for her book.
  rgruberexcel | Sep 4, 2012 |
  rgruberexcel | Sep 4, 2012 |
For my mother and father
Just to the edge, Young Ju.

A Korean American girl tells of her acculturation into American life from the day she leaves Korea as a child to adulthood.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:25 -0400)

A young Korean girl and her family find it difficult to learn English and adjust to life in America.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,476,975 books! | Top bar: Always visible