My Favorite Thing Is Monsters by Emil Ferris

My Favorite Thing Is Monsters (edition 2017)

by Emil Ferris (Author)

Member:alwright1
Title:My Favorite Thing Is Monsters
Authors:Emil Ferris (Author)
Info:Fantagraphics (2017), Edition: 1, 386 pages
Collections:Read, Your library
Tags:fiction, graphic novel, read in 2018, monsters, horror, mystery

My Favorite Thing Is Monsters by Emil Ferris

English (28)  Spanish (1)  All languages (29)
As if the breathtakingly rendered visuals weren’t enough, featured on these pages is also a wholly emotional tale, and the reader’s only regret will be the need to await a second volume. ( )
  Birdo82 | Sep 9, 2018 |
Full disclosure: I am a complete neophyte when it comes to graphic novels. My experience is limited to repeated recitations of Captain Underpants and Bad Kitty under duress. I just kept seeing all these glowing recommendations for My Favorite Thing is Monsters by Emil Ferris, so I decided to branch out and give an adult version of the genre a try. Although it was my first foray, it certainly won’t be my last after having experienced this unique and riveting book. Set in the 1960’s of Ferris’ youth, the city of Chicago comes alive in the narrative and captivating images. The protagonist of the novel is a young girl named Karen, who deals with her adolescent awkwardness and difficult life by hiding behind her art. She is obsessed with the idea of becoming a monster to stave off the real dangers surrounding her, hoping to become empowered and invincible in her transformation. She lives in the roughest part of the city with her brother, Deeze and her mother. The mysterious death of her upstairs neighbor gives Karen the idea that by donning a borrowed trench coat and hat, she can become a detective and discover some answers. As Karen digs deeper into her neighbor’s tragic past, the action switches to the recalled memories of a woman who had survived nightmarish circumstances. Interspersed within the pages are illustrations reminiscent of classic horror movie posters. This book has such an absorbing story and the graphics are amazing, depicting a huge range of emotion and jolting violence. I also need to mention that this book is absolutely NOT for anyone who may be sensitive to depictions of violence and strong sexual themes. I hope the sequel is released soon so I can find out how the mystery resolves and continue to follow Karen’s journey of self-discovery. Even if you are not a fan of graphic novels, this is an example of one that should not be missed. ( )
  jnmegan | Jul 31, 2018 |
This a borderline one-star book for me, but I'm going to let the fascinating artwork slightly outweigh the incredibly awful writing. Talk about an everything-but-the-kitchen-sink approach to writing; we've got adolescent angst, murder, suicide, monsters, horror comics, horror movies, museums, fine art, family drama, weird neighbors, mobsters, affairs, private detectives, cancer, imaginary friends, street people, prostitutes, child sex slaves, pedophiles, Nazi Germany, the Holocaust, racism, the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr., race riots, talking rabbits and on and on. (At times I got the impression that many of the pictures were drawn randomly over time and then the creator just collated them and scribbled words all over them in an attempt to connect them.) And hey, this is just volume one, so nothing is resolved.

Getting to the last page of this book was a miserable and pointless slog for me. ( )
  villemezbrown | Jul 28, 2018 |
This is an excellent book, a really absorbing masterwork, so good it's hard to believe it's Emil Ferris's first graphic novel. Karen is a pre-teen girl growing up in 1960s Chicago, and as the title indicates, her favorite thing is monsters-- she's obsessed with schlocky horror comics and movies. At the same time she has to navigate being a pariah at her Catholic school, she also must survive racism, deal with her mother's cancer, and investigate the murder of her glamorous German neighbor. The book is amazingly drawn, all done in ballpoint pen on looseleaf; you're reading Karen's journal's account of the events of the story. There's a lot of collage/montage, with Ferris's artwork blending the realistic with the fantastic, and the use of color is astonishing at times. Who knew pen could be so beautiful? A prolonged series of flashbacks to the Holocaust are captivating. I have little idea where this honking enormous book is going (the second half is due this fall, I believe), but I really want to know.
  Stevil2001 | Jul 27, 2018 |
Loved it! Had a hard time putting it down. Karen is 12 and her upstairs neighbor has been murdered--suicide according to police but the evidence points to murder. Karen wants to know who killed Anka, the neighbor. To do that she must find out about Anka's past and how it connects with her family. Karen also wants to be a monster and live forever. That part's not working out so well.

I loved Karen and her older brother Deeze (DZ). Tough times lie ahead for them. They have an interesting bunch of neighbors and acquaintances. As Karen eavesdrops to learn what is being kept from her, she is also on her own interesting adventures that scare her mother and Deeze when she goes off missing at times. Learning about Anka's life is eye opening as are the lives of some of the neighbors.

This is a cliffhanger and I have to get the next book to find out who killed Anka and what the ending of this book means to Karen. ( )
  Sheila1957 | Jul 22, 2018 |

"Set against the tumultuous political backdrop of late 1960s Chicago, and narrated by 10-year-old Karen Reyes, Monsters is told through a fictional graphic diary employing the iconography of B-movie horror imagery and pulp monster magazines. As the precocious Karen Reyes tries to solve the murder of her beautiful and enigmatic upstairs neighbor, Anka Silverberg, a holocaust survivor, we watch the interconnected and fascinating stories of those around her unfold"--Front cover flap.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,827,129 books! | Top bar: Always visible