In Farleigh Field by Rhys Bowen

In Farleigh Field

by Rhys Bowen

Right, In Farleigh Field looked really intriguing. I love the cover and I was looking forward to reading it since a historical mystery is a favorite of mine. However, as my rating indicate did I not enjoy this book very much and I will list the reasons for it below.

1. Predictability - Whether it be the story or the characters did this feel like everything was following a guidebook on how to write a book for dummies. Sorry, I kept on going through the book because I wanted answers to the dead parachute mystery. But, the ending was so obvious that it was silly. It did try to be a bit surprising, but by then was my patience wearing thin with the story.

2. Stereotypes - The characters, and here I mostly think of the daughters are the usual type, the brainy one, the easy-going one, the exemplary one and the brave one and the young one. Nothing new here, I've seen these characters before so many types, but done better. I nominate Dido as the most annoying character of the year. "Buuhuu, I didn't get to come out and be presented by the court because of the stupid war. I want to dance, met men and have sex"! When she did something quite unforgiving towards the end was, I not at all surprised since I've been waiting for it since the beginning of the book.

3. Phrases - Jolly, crikey, and blimey. Take a drink every time anyone says that. You will be drunk, but at least you have fun.

So, why did I keep going if the book when I felt that the book didn't work for me? Well, I was almost half-way through when it really started to bother me and I did want to get some answers to the mystery in the book. However, the drama in this book almost made me quite the book several times. I was not bored with the book as much as I was annoyed.

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
I received this book free in a giveaway from Goodreads.

I enjoyed the book. The pace was generally good; not a page turner, but good enough that I read it in only a few sittings. The main characters and the historical details were interesting. The mystery was well developed with enough red herrings to have kept me from suspecting who was the villain until near the end of the book. Two things kept the book from getting a higher rating from me - first, the ending did seem a little rushed and awkward in bringing the action to a climax. Really good mystery writers have a knack for this, and it was not quite right here. Second, the choice of accomplice to the villain seemed completely random to me, with no basis in the story having been developed for this choice.

Having read only one other mystery by Rhys Bowen, I will most likely try another of her mystery series. They are enjoyable light reads.

Brauer11431 | Apr 16, 2019 |
This book was so much fun. If you like a little mystery and espionage with your WWII historical fiction, you really shouldn't miss this book. Will definitely be reading more Bowen in the future.
  tntbeckyford | Feb 16, 2019 |
Wonderful story of World War II mostly set in rural England. I think my favorite character was Phoebe because she reminded me a little of Alan Bradley's Flavia de Luce--a very plucky young heroine. I don't know if the author will write any more about these people, but I hope she does. ( )
  eliorajoy | Nov 16, 2018 |
Not for me. ( )
  autumnturner76 | Oct 4, 2018 |
Septenber 1939

From: His Majesty's Government

To: Civilian Population of Great Britain

For the duration of the war, the following Seven Rules are to be observed at all times.

1. Do not waste food.

2. Do not talk to strangers.

3. Keep all information to yourself.

4. Always listen to government instructions and carry them out.

5. Report anything suspicious to the police.

6. Do not spread rumours.

7. Lock away anything that might help the enemy if we are invaded.
This book is for Meg Ruley, who believed in it from
the beginning and helped to shape it. Meg, you are my
champion, and the day we met was one of the high
points of my life.
Elmsleigh, Kent

August 1939

It had been unusually hot all summer.
(Prologue)
Lady Pamela Sutton started at the dreary government-issued posters on the wall of her small cubicle in Hut 3.

Dead in Farleigh Field

A parachutist is found.

Perhaps Nazi spy?

(rretzler)

World War II comes to Farleigh Place, the ancestral home of Lord Westerham and his five daughters, when a soldier with a failed parachute falls to his death on the estate. After his uniform and possessions raise suspicions, MI5 operative and family friend Ben Cresswell is covertly tasked with determining if the man is a German spy. The assignment also offers Ben the chance to be near Lord Westerham's middle daughter, Pamela, whom he furtively loves. But Pamela has her own secret: she has taken a job at Bletchley Park, the British code-breaking facility. As Ben follows a trail of spies and traitors, which may include another member of Pamela's family, he discovers that some within the realm have an appalling, history-altering agenda. Can he, with Pamela's help, stop them before England falls?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,745,085 books! | Top bar: Always visible