In Farleigh Field by Rhys Bowen

In Farleigh Field

by Rhys Bowen

Summary: The young ward of the gamekeeper was out checking small game traps on the grounds of the Farleigh estate when he found the body. The man’s limbs were at odd angles and a bit of a parachute flapped in the breeze.

It was 1941 and Britain was at war with Germany. The parachutist was wearing a British uniform but a closer inspection by the commander of the troops garrisoned at Farleigh House revealed some oddities. It was obvious that the dead man was a spy. The hunt was on for a German collaborator and people looked at anyone who was an outsider with suspicion.

This was a time of great change for British aristocracy. In Farleigh Field focuses on the struggles of one family to bridge the gap between the past and the future. The older landowners desperately tried to hang onto what they’ve always known—the lavish dinners, garden parties, debutante balls for their daughters. The younger people were quicker to ride the winds of change and do their part for their country. Some worked long hours under trying conditions at Bletchley Park. Some were on active duty in the military. Others risked their lives to get information vital to the war effort.

For the most part they were safely out of the way of the bombing happening in London. But when that safety was threatened one night, it became clear even to those with the biggest blinders that someone in their midst was not who they appeared to be.

Comments: I picked up In Farleigh Field because I’m a fan of Rhys Bowen’s Molly Murphy mystery series and was not disappointed. I’d categorize this book as a mystery with an historical setting. The writing style is clear and it’s easy to follow the many people and events in the novel. If anyone should need it, there is a cast of characters at the beginning of the book. ( )
  Thebrownbookloft | Jun 29, 2018 |
This is a delightful story of WWII. It's about Station X and the story focuses on the attempt on Churchill's life. The characters are fun and the story holds the readers interest. All sorts of intrigues occur and the plot is thick with deception. I suggest it. ( )
  barb302 | May 7, 2018 |
An earl's family become personally involved in WW II when a failed parachutists lands on the family estate. In an England on the brink of invasion some members of the upper crust believe that rapport with Hitler is the only way to preserve their nation's treasures. Will the traitors be located before it is too late? Engrossing and well written, although I spotted one villain relatively early. It was nice to see Medmenham, the site of aerial reconnaissance, as well as the better known Bletchely Park, make an appearance. I noticed this in particular since one of my favorite authors, Jane Duncan, served at Medmenham as Flight Officer Elizabeth Cameron.
  ritaer | May 3, 2018 |
My latest read, [In Farleigh Field] takes place mostly in England, but also in France, hence I'm listing it here. This was the story of Lord Westerham's family, including 5 daughters who live in Kent in 1941. The story begins when a dead parachuted soldier is found in Farleigh Field with no identification tags, but he does have on his person a picture of a historical nature with a series of numbers written on the bottom. London is being bombed and several residents of Kent work for MI-5 or at Bletchley Park, a code breaking facility. Part of the book took place in Nazi occupied France where one of Lord Westerham's daughters was working as an agent for the French Resistance.

As a history teacher/professor of 35+ years I usually don't find out a lot of new information in a novel read; but this provided new food for fodder! I was unaware that the recently abdicated Edward VIII spent the war as Governor General of the Bahamas. He was considered a risk to England because he had visited Hitler multiples times before the war broke out and it was surmised that he was a Nazi sympathizer. This bit of info has now led me off on a tangent to learn more about Edward VIII.

This was my first Rhys Bowen book. Bowen is British and she was recommended to me and I did find the book interesting and an easy read. That being said, the writing was average and the story line was also just average. 379 pages 3 1/2 stars ( )
  tess_schoolmarm | Mar 21, 2018 |
A well written and thoroughly enjoyable story by a well practiced and skilled story teller.

A bit of a romance, a spy story, a thriller and with thoroughly likeable characters, this is an entertaining novel and a good read. Set during WWII in Britain readers will enjoy the details and the lives of the characters.

A nice easy read and entertaining too. ( )
  p.d.r.lindsay | Mar 13, 2018 |
Septenber 1939

From: His Majesty's Government

To: Civilian Population of Great Britain

For the duration of the war, the following Seven Rules are to be observed at all times.

1. Do not waste food.

2. Do not talk to strangers.

3. Keep all information to yourself.

4. Always listen to government instructions and carry them out.

5. Report anything suspicious to the police.

6. Do not spread rumours.

7. Lock away anything that might help the enemy if we are invaded.
This book is for Meg Ruley, who believed in it from the beginning and helped to shape it. Meg, you are my champion, and the day we met was one of the high points of my life.
Elmsleigh, Kent

August 1939

It had been unusually hot all summer.

Dead in Farleigh Field

A parachutist is found.

Perhaps Nazi spy?

(rretzler)

World War II comes to Farleigh Place, the ancestral home of Lord Westerham and his five daughters, when a soldier with a failed parachute falls to his death on the estate. After his uniform and possessions raise suspicions, MI5 operative and family friend Ben Cresswell is covertly tasked with determining if the man is a German spy. The assignment also offers Ben the chance to be near Lord Westerham's middle daughter, Pamela, whom he furtively loves. But Pamela has her own secret: she has taken a job at Bletchley Park, the British code-breaking facility. As Ben follows a trail of spies and traitors, which may include another member of Pamela's family, he discovers that some within the realm have an appalling, history-altering agenda. Can he, with Pamela's help, stop them before England falls?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,161,942 books! | Top bar: Always visible